C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

PCV Discussion (long) 1992 LT-1

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 09:25 PM
djxib
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default PCV Discussion (long) 1992 LT-1

I have a problem that I am trying to track down. After sprited driving (e.g. drag strip) I always seem to blow out the timing chain cover seal. There are three threads to this discussion:

1. What is the correct PCV setup on a 1992, and why.
2. Whether my PCV setup is causing too much crankcase pressure
3. Why my PCV setup does not cause poor running and whether I should change the PCV setup

My setup

OK - I have a supercharged '92 with loads of engine mods - forged 383 etc etc. The engine was modified in about 1996 and I have not modified the car since I bought it in July 2004. Important to this discussion - it has aftermarket rocker covers. The car runs GREAT. Last time it dynoed at 480rwhp and 460 rwtq.. I am very happy with it apart from the seal problems.

On the passenger-side rocker cover there is one hole in the cover, filled with an oil filler cap. On the driver side, there are two holes: One that has a straight-thru hose that goes to the air filter, the other has a K&N after-market breather filter.

So the questions are:

1. What is the standard setup - which rocker covers / valves / pipes etc. (any photos would be great, thanks!)
2. Could this setup have cause excessive crankcase pressure
3. Why does this setup not cause me any problems, an in fact why would PCV valve problems ever cause poor running? Could I help the situation by moving the K&N breather filter to the passenger side?

Apologies if dumb questions - forgive me I'm a relative noob to all this.

Thanks, Andy..
Old 05-02-2005, 07:36 AM
djxib
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have part of the answer to number 3. My setup doesn't cause running problems because I have no connection to the intake manifold.. so nothing in the PCV system that would cause erratic MAP pressures.

Quick Reply: PCV Discussion (long) 1992 LT-1