C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What type of AN fittings to use for trans cooler lines??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 12:53 PM
NUckINg FuTS
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What type of AN fittings to use for trans cooler lines??

Since I cracked one of the trans cooler lines while changing out the radiator, I figured why not make some new trans cooler lines out of braided stainless. The question is what type of fittings would I need to purchase for the connection at the radiator and at the auto trans? I am sure someone out there has done this successfully. If anyone has some advise I would like to hear it. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Morley
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They aren't AN fittings. They are a metric double flare fitting.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:16 PM
dock351
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

I think he means he's going to replace the lines and use AN connectors. Thus, adapters will be required at each end of each line.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:00 PM
NUckINg FuTS
Melting Slicks

Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:32 PM
Morley
Drifting

Check Summit and see if Earls, Aeroquip or Russel has a double flare to AN adaptor.
If not, you'll have to make your own.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:44 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Earl's has the flare to AN fittings you need.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:01 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Make sure the lines and ends you will use are the same size as the inside i.d. as the hard lines. AN lines are numbered while the tranny lines are either English or metric dimensions.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:55 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

You might want to contact this guy as he has the fittings you need. He also is going to be selling a complete kit (cooler, mount,and all hoses/fittings for the C4). He is at; eaguyett@comcast.net
Old 06-18-2005, 02:57 AM
NUckINg FuTS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by skeet
You might want to contact this guy as he has the fittings you need. He also is going to be selling a complete kit (cooler, mount,and all hoses/fittings for the C4). He is at; eaguyett@comcast.net
Cool, is he a forum member?
Old 06-18-2005, 09:30 AM
M.Clough
Instructor

It's 1/8 pipe thread into the tranny.Use 6an lines for the lines.Make sure you remove the inverted fittings that are in the tranny
Old 06-18-2005, 10:19 AM
Dartvader
Instructor

I have a '95 coupe which has no added oil cooler for either the tranny or the block. Chevy claims the Mobile-1 eliminated the need for that. Do you guys recommend either, and where would you mount it. I am a believer in auto tranny coolers and feel like it might extend the service life of the auto. I have driven an old minivan for 4 years beyond the time when the tranny was exibiting symptoms of death by simply servicing it and adding a cooler to the tranny. I am not as sure about a suplimentry cooler for the engine. I don't plan on racing. Thanks for the opinions.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:27 PM
eguyett1985
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Todd..guess what?? I'm finally getting somewhere on the cooler kits.. I just leased a 3000 foot shop to be able to get my prototyping and development work done on the kits so I should have something for you very soon. As for the fittings, nobody makes what you need for some reason..so we are making them ourselves. What you need on the radiator is no problem, it's a 1/2-20 Male Inverted Flare to #6AN Fitting and Earls, Russell, and XRP all make them but to connect the 5/16 hard line going back to the trans you need a 1/2-20 FEMALE Inverted Flare to #6 AN Fitting. I have been working on another project this week besides my regular job...(6 Piston Brake Kit) but we have managed to get the material to produce these and the 5/8-18 Female Inverted Flare to #6 fittings also (Connects 3/8" hard line to #6) and should have some maybe later next week. Here's a couple pictures of the fittings. If anyone needs any let me know.

Thanks,
Evan.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:33 PM
eguyett1985
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NUckINg FuTS
Cool, is he a forum member?
I've got the 85-87 transmission cooler kits pretty well done and I'm really close on the 88-90's as well. The 91-96's I'm still working on thanks to skeet keeping after me.. I can send you installation instructions if you want, just email me your address. Here's an early pic of the 85-87 kit for reference.

Thanks,
Evan.

Last edited by eguyett1985; 06-18-2005 at 07:34 PM. Reason: no pic
Old 06-19-2005, 03:00 AM
NUckINg FuTS
Melting Slicks

Sent you a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:34 AM
red L98
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a B&M super cooler, with 1/2 to -6 lines, I run a TH350 Trans I think the fittings on the trans are diff on the 700r4. And I just plugged the holes on the radiator. by the time i was done it cost me 150 with out the trans cooler and another 60 for the cooler .
Old 06-19-2005, 03:53 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Good to hear from you Evan. I think an external auto tranny cooler is the most important mod a C4 owner can make unless he likes replacing trannies. The Corvette auto trannies run very hot and NEED extra cooling. Most C4 owners do not know this until they have to replace the transmission but 95 and 96 owners have a temp. guage and 230 is a common temp which is too hot and even this temp is when not pushing it hard.

Please let us know when the fittings and kit is ready. The only thing I would like to see for your kit is a cooler with a cooling fan attached. The external cooler still needs the option of a fan for when you are going up long grades and at speeds that are slow and do not pass much air through the cooler. Here in Arizona where it is 100 degrees there is a long up grade going to the town of Jerome where you do not go over 20 mph most of the 6 or 7 miles. My tranny temps go up to 240 (without pushing it and driving gently). I will find a way to use a B&N cooler that comes with a factory fan somehow. Hope you can offer that cooler (with fan) in your kit.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Hotred94
Pro

In Arizona, when you climb the mountain, those grades go for miles and miles. The good news is the air cools about a degree per mile as you go up, but it's so stinkin hot out there in the desert.

That is a nice looking cooler setup. I'm interested when you get them ready.

Get notified of new replies

To What type of AN fittings to use for trans cooler lines??

Old 06-20-2005, 01:30 AM
eguyett1985
Burning Brakes

Good to hear from you Evan. I think an external auto tranny cooler is the most important mod a C4 owner can make unless he likes replacing trannies. The Corvette auto trannies run very hot and NEED extra cooling. Most C4 owners do not know this until they have to replace the transmission but 95 and 96 owners have a temp. guage and 230 is a common temp which is too hot and even this temp is when not pushing it hard.

Please let us know when the fittings and kit is ready. The only thing I would like to see for your kit is a cooler with a cooling fan attached. The external cooler still needs the option of a fan for when you are going up long grades and at speeds that are slow and do not pass much air through the cooler. Here in Arizona where it is 100 degrees there is a long up grade going to the town of Jerome where you do not go over 20 mph most of the 6 or 7 miles. My tranny temps go up to 240 (without pushing it and driving gently). I will find a way to use a B&N cooler that comes with a factory fan somehow. Hope you can offer that cooler (with fan) in your kit.
Hi Todd!...I've looked at doing a kit for the C4's with a fan but there just doesn't seem to be an effective place to put the unit I'm using from B&M..I have both of thier fan mounted units and I'm doing kits that use them for the drag race guys on the 55-57's, 67-69 Camaro/Firebird, and 68-72 A-Bodies, but those cars have so much more room to mount that type of unit of course..I've been looking at different types of electric fans that would fit the cooler I'm using on the C4's but haven't found a true OEM style fan that would hold up to the elements satisfactorily in that small of a size..honestly I think the cooler even without the fan would be really effective because not only is it in a pretty good airflow area but there isn't any heat soak from the engine either...I've built some gauges to test it's effectiveness so I'll be able to give you exact percentages very soon...Thanks for your patience!..
Old 06-20-2005, 01:32 AM
eguyett1985
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hotred94
In Arizona, when you climb the mountain, those grades go for miles and miles. The good news is the air cools about a degree per mile as you go up, but it's so stinkin hot out there in the desert.

That is a nice looking cooler setup. I'm interested when you get them ready.
Sounds good!..I'll keep you guys posted...you're inline for the late C4 one right behind Skeet!
Old 06-20-2005, 03:01 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Evan- The problem that I am facing is that there is no air flow when going up very twisty mountains roads at a 10-20 mph speed which is max for these sharp turns. The radiator fan is working all the time to keep coolant temperatures where they should be. I noticed zero difference in transmission temperature with a large finned aluminum transmission pan and am sure that having no fan, with a 10mph speed, will not lower the temp.
What is your idea of using some looong tubing and a location somewhere in the rear of the car - even if I have to remove the spare tire carrier (and carry a can of flat fixer) I would consider that.

Any thin line fans? Got to have that fan.

Quick Reply: What type of AN fittings to use for trans cooler lines??