C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HEI Distributor gear orientation wrt rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 09:17 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 255 Likes on 213 Posts

Default HEI Distributor gear orientation wrt rotor?

I just replaced my HEI distributor gear with an AC replacement gear to go with my new Comp 224/230 cam (pn 08-503-08, XR276HR12 for reference).

This was done while the cap was still on the distributor. I unfortunately didn't pay attention to the orientation, and was assuming the gear was symmetric (and idiot-proofed). I then realized it is possible to install the gear 180 degrees off, oops.

Here's how it is installed now: near the bottom of the gear, there is a partial hole peened on one side, below the roll pin bore. I assume that this is an alignment mark. This mark is now in aligment with the rotor, which seems reasonably correct. Can anyone confirm if this is the correct orientation?

I realize it should be possible to correct the 1/2 tooth error with a timing adjustment, by clocking the distributor slightly. But I would like to be sure it is installed correctly.

Thanks

Here's a pic:

Last edited by tequilaboy; 09-02-2005 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:28 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tequilaboy
Here's how it is installed now: near the bottom of the gear, there is a partial hole peened on one side, below the roll pin bore. I assume that this is an alignment mark. This mark is now in aligment with the rotor, which seems reasonably correct. Can anyone confirm if this is the correct orientation?

I realize it should be possible to correct the 1/2 tooth error with a timing adjustment, by clocking the distributor slightly. But I would like to be sure it is installed correctly.

Thanks
I have never seen an "alignment mark" on any of the distributor shafts *I* have dealt with. As you alluded, as long as the chamfered bore of the gear is at the end of the shaft (don't ask), you can't install the gear wrong.

RACE ON!!!
Old 09-03-2005, 12:36 AM
SloRvette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

The dimple on the gear is meant to line up with the rotor tip. Sounds like you've got it right.

Get notified of new replies

To HEI Distributor gear orientation wrt rotor?

Quick Reply: HEI Distributor gear orientation wrt rotor?