C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Timing cover leaking at oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 09:56 PM
dbaction
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing cover leaking at oil pan

Just finished a water pump/opti/timing chain and gears on a 1994 LT1. Serious leak at the oil pan and timing cover. I'm not surprised, the cover was tough to replace and no way to observe the gasket. I guess dropping the pan and replace gasket is next step. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks...DB
Old 11-11-2005, 11:14 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by dbaction
Just finished a water pump/opti/timing chain and gears on a 1994 LT1. Serious leak at the oil pan and timing cover. I'm not surprised, the cover was tough to replace and no way to observe the gasket. I guess dropping the pan and replace gasket is next step. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks...DB
Drop the pan and put a dab of Rigth Stuff RTV at each corner of the pan. The gasket will be fine unless you rip after dropping it. Shouldnt take more than ahour to do it. I just went through this and even though Fel Pro said it is a Dry gasket, it leaked, and I put Right Stuff in each corner, and voila, dry!
Old 11-12-2005, 11:25 PM
dbaction
Intermediate

Originally Posted by steve40th
Drop the pan and put a dab of Rigth Stuff RTV at each corner of the pan. The gasket will be fine unless you rip after dropping it. Shouldnt take more than ahour to do it. I just went through this and even though Fel Pro said it is a Dry gasket, it leaked, and I put Right Stuff in each corner, and voila, dry!
Thanks for the info. Will I find Right Stuff RTV at an auto supply? The gasket came off with the cover, so I'll be replacing with a new pan gasket.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:39 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Thanks for the info. Will I find Right Stuff RTV at an auto supply? The gasket came off with the cover, so I'll be replacing with a new pan gasket.
ANy good parts store carrys it. Its about 10-14 bucks. Not cheap, but neither is an oil leak.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:41 PM
BlackC6LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do you guys get the pan on and off??? my experience was that i had to unbolt the engine and raise it a little to get the pan on and off.

any help/tips would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-13-2005, 10:55 PM
dbaction
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BlackRoseLT1
how do you guys get the pan on and off??? my experience was that i had to unbolt the engine and raise it a little to get the pan on and off.

any help/tips would be greatly appreciated
Yeah, that's a real good question... I was under the car and looking to see if the pan would come off without raising the motor. Looks like it will although it looks like the exhaust needs to come loose to get the bell housing dust cover out of the way. If I have to move the exhaust then I will go ahead and install some headers and a different exhaust system (maybe ... any suggestions??).

Also does anyone have any experience with the "KWIKLIFT" drive on ramp system for getting the car off the ground and level?
Old 11-14-2005, 01:05 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Yeah, that's a real good question... I was under the car and looking to see if the pan would come off without raising the motor. Looks like it will although it looks like the exhaust needs to come loose to get the bell housing dust cover out of the way. If I have to move the exhaust then I will go ahead and install some headers and a different exhaust system (maybe ... any suggestions??).

Also does anyone have any experience with the "KWIKLIFT" drive on ramp system for getting the car off the ground and level?
Just unbolt the motor mounts the bottom, 18mm nuts, jack the motor up at the tranny a couple of inches. Thats all you need. Take the didpstick tube out too. The starter needs to be unbolted enough to move it out of the way, no need to take it out. Then the pan will come down easily, if not, thenone of the throws on the crank may be hitting the pan, then turn the motor over with your hands on the flywheel/flexplate.
Take your time too, and dont overthighten the pan bolts.

Last edited by steve40th; 11-14-2005 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:57 AM
56chevy
Racer

dbaction
check out this thread about the kwiklift

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...light=kwiklift

I love mine.
Had it for years

www.kwiklift.com
Old 11-17-2005, 11:16 PM
dbaction
Intermediate

Originally Posted by steve40th
Just unbolt the motor mounts the bottom, 18mm nuts, jack the motor up at the tranny a couple of inches. Thats all you need. Take the didpstick tube out too. The starter needs to be unbolted enough to move it out of the way, no need to take it out. Then the pan will come down easily, if not, thenone of the throws on the crank may be hitting the pan, then turn the motor over with your hands on the flywheel/flexplate.
Take your time too, and dont overthighten the pan bolts.
Thanks for the info... I'm going to get to it this weekend.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:19 PM
dbaction
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 56chevy
dbaction
check out this thread about the kwiklift

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...light=kwiklift

I love mine.
Had it for years

www.kwiklift.com
Great pics ... Danny with Kwiklift will be in Houston next week at Autorama. I'll see the lift in action there and will probably buy one. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Timing cover leaking at oil pan

Quick Reply: Timing cover leaking at oil pan