C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Finale-Got the waterpump in my hands

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 10:46 PM
C4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finale-Got the waterpump in my hands

Figured I owned all those who gave input and alternatives on the waterpump replacement temperature problem. First thanks to all. Now the meat. I figured it's gotta be the sensor. So I stop at the local dealership. Buy the delco sensor and stop and talk to the guy who only works on vettes. We're talking, and he says don't forget to reload your collant system with the relief valve open. One important point is that he said only loosen the relief valve when the car is off. If you do it while running it sucks air into the system. He shows me where it is. I get home, pop the hood, open the relief valve he showed me. Fluid level in top tank disappears. I put in more 50/50 mix until it comes out the relief valve. Close the relief valve, complete filling the system and take it out for a drive. Hot damn. I'm running cooler than I did before the change out. 193 F. Went back and checked the manual, sure enough, it said to do it, but I didn't know where, so I skipped this step, figured I'd do it the old way. My .02: air must have been trapped in the top side of the water pump. The water pump couldn't overcome this air bubble so it couldn't move the bubble thru the radiator and out either reservoir. Any way it is plausible. So, I'm ready to do another one tomarrow. Hardest part of this whole process is scrapping the old gasket material of the block. Maybe I'll invent a new tool to do that, something with an adjustable angle of attack. Anyway, I'm grinning. Even poured myself a tall single barrel. Life is good...-C4- ;)
Old 08-02-2001, 10:56 PM
Rich_01659
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Finale-Got the waterpump in my hands (C4)

can you post pics of the relief valve? that sounds like something i may want to check in to.
Old 08-02-2001, 11:02 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Re: Finale-Got the waterpump in my hands (Rich_01659)

The bleeder valve is in the top of the thermostat housing. It's brass. You have to bleed the air out a few times after draining and refilling the system. Otherwise you get a air pocket.
Old 08-02-2001, 11:26 PM
C4
Racer

Default Re: Finale-Got the waterpump in my hands (C4)

Concur the the above post. It is right under passenger side of induction system, right below throttle body. Can't miss it, the only brass thingy there. a few cranks for relief, fill up the resevoir until it squirts, dribbles, gushes out, tighen down. Done deal. I put a rag underneath to protect the everpresent and completely impotent opti-crap...-C4- :rolleyes:

Get notified of new replies

To Finale-Got the waterpump in my hands

Quick Reply: Finale-Got the waterpump in my hands