C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Wheel refinishing help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 02:47 AM
Dakotarota
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel refinishing help needed.

I just got a set of 92 rims for my 86, but they need the be cleaned up etc. Some of the clear coat is missing or cracked & so on. From what I have read I am to get "aircraft stripper" and slop it on romoving the old clear coat.
1) Isnt it painted silver on the inner portion? I dont want to remove that do I??
Once that is completed I start sanding with heavier grade to lighter grade paper to even out any divots. Wet sand?

Move to a buffer using ??? Mothers?

Finishing up am I better off reapplying claer coat or leaving it & just polishing often?
Am I missing anything??
Old 08-03-2001, 03:40 AM
weekendwrench
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Wheel refinishing help needed. (Dakotarota)

I used Jasco paint remover. I also tried the Aircraft stripper but found the jasco worked better. I removed all the clearcoat and the paint and then masked and repainted the grey color on my 87 wheels. Use steel wool to shine up the aluminum and them polish. I used "Flitz" polish.

You can use grease to mask off the areas of the wheel you don't want to paint.

Is the offset of the wheel you bought going to be o.k.? You may need spacers.
Old 08-03-2001, 05:21 AM
Dakotarota
Advanced

Default Re: Wheel refinishing help needed. (weekendwrench)

Unsure still, but I asked on here & everyone said spacers werent required...
Old 08-03-2001, 12:25 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I used the "Aircraft" brnd stripper to clean the clearcoat off my 88 whels. It worked fine, didnt leave it on long enough to remove the gray paint. Some of the gray paint bubled, just sanded it for now.

THe wheels weren't too pitted or damaged so I just polished them up with Mother's Al & Mag polish. They ain't perfect but look 100% better. I'll spend some more time over the next few months to get them real nice. Re-paint the gray, etc.

I did the coarse to very fine sandpaper polishing on the center caps though. It was a lot of work.
Old 08-03-2001, 01:51 PM
jwade91
Racer

I think you are going to need spacers. I believe 88-96 are compatible, but not 84-87. Check old posts, but I believe you have a +36mm offset, while 88-96 have a +54-56 offset. That means the 92 wheels will be tucked in about 20mm further into the wheel well on your '86. Don't know the conversion to inches off-hand.

I am thinking about doing this to mine too. Post when your done. The finish on my 91 wheels could use some work.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel refinishing help needed.

Quick Reply: Wheel refinishing help needed.