C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lots of water pump leaks... How can you check it off the car...

Old 08-03-2001, 11:36 AM
Nomar116
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lots of water pump leaks... How can you check it off the car...

Seems like alot of people are having to replace their water pumps. I was leaking a ton of coolant before I tore the motor apart, and still havnt really found why. I thought maybe a blown head gasket, but that wasnt the case. Im really not sure. Anyway, maybe it was the water pump. How would I be able to tell. Im about to put the motor back together, and may have to just reassemble the thing and see if she still leaks.... We'll see.
Paul
Old 08-03-2001, 11:19 PM
danp
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Lots of water pump leaks... How can you check it off the car... (Nomar116)

I too had a coolant leak on my 90 coupe. It took me weeks to locate the source of the leak. After stipping off
lots of parts on the front end, I was able to use a mirror/flashlight to see that one of the 4 water pump bolts was allowing
a drip. I replaced the pump since I had already removed so many other parts to expose the leaking trouble spot.
Hope this helps you diagnose your leak.
Old 08-04-2001, 09:14 AM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 98 Posts

If the pump has alot of miles on it and the car is apart, I would just replace it. Nothing worse than having to do something twice! Mine started leaking with only 29,000 miles on it.
Old 08-04-2001, 01:34 PM
95autoLT1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: (RichS)

I too had to replace my water pump around 30K. I guess it's a pretty common problem. There is a small weep hole on the bottom of the pump that drips when there is a bearing seal failure. When the seal fails it drips to let you know that the bearing too will fail soon so replace it right away to prevent pump failure and costly overheating engine damage
Old 08-04-2001, 03:27 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Default Re: Lots of water pump leaks... How can you check it off the car... (Nomar116)

I see you have a 90, check the coolant by-pass hose on the throttle body. They leak and run down on top of the water pump.

I am with Rich S. while you have it apart replace the water pump. After everything is back together, do a pressure test and that should tell you if you fix the leak or not. :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Lots of water pump leaks... How can you check it off the car...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lots of water pump leaks... How can you check it off the car...