C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Opti-spark vented cap opinions needed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 08:43 PM
LouisBarton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opti-spark vented cap opinions needed!

My 92 has a new Opti-spark put in 10k ago by the previous owner and I plan to upgrade it to the 96 vent system. My question is about the cap vent. I've read the Corvette Fever post and the post about using a 96 cap and cuting out the boss for the ECM plug. I've also seen a post touting the Borg-Warner "Optispark repair kit" #C400 sold by Pep Boys but I haven't actually laid eyes on it. (special order and you have to pay first sight unseen:(. Who has tried what and what are the pros and cons? Is there a sealing problem with the 96 cap on the 92? Can I replace the cap without removing the water pump since it is also new and fully functional?

[Modified by LouisBarton, 8:03 PM 8/3/2001]
Old 08-03-2001, 11:09 PM
moffitt
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Opti-spark vented cap opinions needed! (LouisBarton)

I just epoxyed the fitting as Corvette Fever showed. They melted theirs in with a soldering gun, I had no trouble making a nice hole with my die grinder.
Evidently they had trouble with cracks developing at a drilled hole, with enough epoxy slathered on it, I don't see how it could crack? Just make sure that the fitting is trimmed to fit as deeply as possible, or it will hit the dampner hub. It was an easy and worthwhile modification.
Old 08-04-2001, 02:23 AM
Jimi Lane
Instructor

Default Re: Opti-spark vented cap opinions needed! (LouisBarton)

When I replaced mine, the first time, I thought I would just seal it all up real good with rtv. That thought was to seal the fluids out. Well, 4000 miles later when one of the heads from a small torx bolt inside the opti broke off and trashed everything, I found that I had trapped moisture in by sealing it so well. All the contact points on the inside of the cap had a lot of white residue on them. When I touched the contact points, the white stuff was wet! I then vented the cap..... I've had no problems since then with the opti, knock on wood....I sealed it with rtv again, but I still won't wash the engine.
jl

[Modified by Jimi Lane, 12:25 AM 8/4/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Opti-spark vented cap opinions needed!

Quick Reply: Opti-spark vented cap opinions needed!