C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help please 90 convert. "sys" flashes 3 times in digital speedometer area

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 02:36 PM
rdb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help please 90 convert. "sys" flashes 3 times in digital speedometer area

About evevery 5 minutes I get the letters "sys" flashed 3 times in the lighted area just to the left of the large digits for the speedometer. I've fixed a bunch of electronic stuff but I have no clue what this indicates. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks Bob
Old 08-04-2001, 06:48 PM
Ruby_Roadster
Instructor

Default Re: Help please 90 convert. "sys" flashes 3 times in digital speedometer area (rdb)

Looks like you might have a stored code. Here is a web site that details how to jumper the ALDL and check what codes are stored - http://home.fuse.net/c4/ecm_codes.htm
Old 08-04-2001, 07:36 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: Help please 90 convert. "sys" flashes 3 times in digital speedometer area (rdb)

The "SYS" error is coming from the CCM. To get to this error, you need to jump pins "A" and "G". Then you use the keypad for the trip computer to access the codes. Prior to doing this, have you had any battery problems lately or has the battery been losing charge? A bad battery can cause this error also.

PS: I e-mailed you the pages that explain how to extract the error codes. Post your error and we will take it from there.

[Modified by vettenuts, 5:38 PM 8/4/2001]
Old 08-04-2001, 08:00 PM
RED90SIXLT1
Advanced

Be careful with the advice you have heard, 96 is a little different. The SYS comes from a problem with your electrical system...not codes!! If I was a betting man I would say you have a problem with the electrical..not computer...system. Get your battery checked. I just went through the same problem with my 96 , SYS 3 times etc...put in a new AC Delco battery and problem fixed.
Old 08-04-2001, 09:19 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: Help please 90 convert. "sys" flashes 3 times in digital speedometer area (RED90SIXLT1)

Not sure I follow. He has a 90 and my response addresses the CCM. Please point out the error?
Old 08-04-2001, 10:43 PM
rdb
Instructor

The error code is H 41. I hope it is just a historical but I disconnected battery thinking this may clear it but no go. Ideas????
Old 08-05-2001, 12:04 AM
Nifty C6
Instructor

I had that very same problem a few months back. Turned out it was the CAGS eliminator unit that I had recently installed. A resistor inside the unit had gone bad and partly melted the unit. I took out the CAGS eliminator unit and just left the CAGS disconnected. Everything went back to normal - haven't seen the "SYS" flashing since. I've since gotten a replacement for the defective unit from Corvette Central, but haven't installed it yet.

[Modified by XCVI LT4, 10:30 PM 8/6/2001]
Old 08-05-2001, 11:14 PM
dsky
Instructor

i removed the relay under the glove box that turns the interior lights on when the door is open, since then i have the blinking "SYS" on the speedo area.
most likely you have an electrical prob with the vats.

there is mention of this error in the owners manual, if im not mistakin.
good luck
doug
Old 08-06-2001, 12:56 AM
chaos on wheels
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 90 service manual has CCM code 41 (H is a historical code, C would be current) as: ECM serial data circuit (loss of communications). I've never diagnosed this problem before, but it looks like a short or open circuit between the CCM and ECM. It looks like the C68 electric AC controller is also on that data line. I hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Help please 90 convert. "sys" flashes 3 times in digital speedometer area

Quick Reply: Help please 90 convert. "sys" flashes 3 times in digital speedometer area