C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 Headlight motor just spins and will not shut off, motor rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 09:48 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 1985 Headlight motor just spins and will not shut off, motor rebuild?

My 1985 Headlight motor just spins and will not shut off when I turn off the headlights. Is it time for a motor rebuild? Is it hard to do or should I just swap out a new one at TLD?

TIA

Old 08-05-2001, 12:31 AM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Default Re: 1985 Headlight motor just spins and will not shut off, motor rebuild? (ld85)

you need those $24 gears that the catalogs sell.... usually the smaller gear is the first one to strip. You can take the motor apart and find out which one you need.
Old 08-05-2001, 12:10 PM
Alesnik-MD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: 1985 Headlight motor just spins and will not shut off, motor rebuild? (Marcho Polo)

In the 85 assembly you only need the one gear. It is made of cheap nylon with little rubber quarter circle grommets, available from MidAmerica. Sometimes the grommets get dislodged and cause the trouble to which you're reffering. The last gear I installed, I used silicone sealant to glue the grommets into the gear. This worked great. Email me if you have any specific questions about this repair. First-timer would take about 2 hr to do the job.
Old 08-05-2001, 01:35 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: 1985 Headlight motor just spins and will not shut off, motor rebuild? (Alesnik-MD)

Hey LD!!
If you go to repair this yourself, inspect the magnets inside the motor itself..theres a cylindrical type of housing the motor slides inside of...2 round black magnets spin the motor forward & back...mine broke and turned to black dust and would spin open but never close...the gears were fine too.

The gears are usually what breaks first but inspect the magnets..if they came off inside loose, re glue them back in place,if they arent cracked and busted up.

TTYL!!!
Old 08-05-2001, 01:53 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: 1985 Headlight motor just spins and will not shut off, motor rebuild? (ld85)

Thaknks for the replys.

I took the motor apart this morning and on one side of the OD of the Large Gear had teeth that had worn down to nothing.

I ordered new gears this morning and will repalce both sides this week. Thanks again to all that replyed! I had hoped to get some insight before I took the stuff apart and the replys really helped me to look for all the potential problems when I got it apart.

BTW cool new format but with all the new non sense on the reply options I would have thought they could have added a spell checker. Did I miss it?

LD

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Headlight motor just spins and will not shut off, motor rebuild?

Quick Reply: 1985 Headlight motor just spins and will not shut off, motor rebuild?