C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Service ABS/Service ASR & Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 03:42 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Service ABS/Service ASR & Brake Light

Alrighty, this shouldn't be too hard for you guys. I need to know how to pull as much brake info as possible from my OBDI car without using a scanner.

Basically if I have to get on my brakes hard sometimes I'll get my service ABS & service ASR lights, the BRAKE light comes on momentarily. Obviously neither of the systems will work until I turn the car off and start it back. The factory service manual is a little vauge in it's diagnosis, saying that the only reason for all of these to come on would be low fluid. I'm NOT leaking brake fluid, so I figured the pads were just worn, giving it the affect of being low. I checked the front pads this morning and they are nowhere near the wear indicators. You can tell they are worn, but not THAT bad. The rotors seemed a little worn to me, they weren't prefectly flat. I figure I need new ones anyway because I get a shudder at high speed when I hit the brakes.

Against all better judgement I added some brake fluid, I am yet to drive the car and see if the problem persists. I know that now I'll have to remove some fluid when I do the pads, but I didn't really know what else to do right away.

If I can pull the codes and all I get is LOW FLUID then I would have to assume that the pads and rotors just need to be replaced. Any ideas/info would be appreciated.

[Modified by Nathan Plemons, 1:42 PM 8/5/2001]
Old 08-05-2001, 06:28 PM
GlobalGreg
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Service ABS/Service ASR & Brake Light (Nathan Plemons)

Against all better judgement I added some brake fluid, I am yet to drive the car and see if the problem persists. I know that now I'll have to remove some fluid when I do the pads, but I didn't really know what else to do right away.
[Modified by Nathan Plemons, 1:42 PM 8/5/2001]
I'll betcha five bucks that fixes the problems. ;)

[Modified by GlobalGreg, 3:28 PM 8/5/2001]
Old 08-06-2001, 10:00 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Default Re: Service ABS/Service ASR & Brake Light (GlobalGreg)

Seems to have fixed it so far. I got some performance friction Z-rated pads that are supposed to be sweet. Now I can't decide if I want to spend the money for the Baer Eradispeed rotors or the cheap stock ones. My rotors are pretty crappy right now and I don't want to put my new pads on junk rotors. I made another post about different rotors that I need to read, that way I won't double post stuff
Old 08-07-2001, 01:11 AM
ezmoney92
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figured that would work. I had the same problem, my fluid didn't look low either. It only took about a spoonfull and I haven't seen them lights in about 6 months!! Only other thing it could be is a faulty ABS sensor at one or more wheels and that is not nearly as common as the fluid being low. Good luck!
Old 08-07-2001, 09:48 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Default Re: Service ABS/Service ASR & Brake Light (ezmoney92)

Seems to work. Now I've got a friend who's gonna see about the rotors today at the dealership. His cousin works in the parts department, how cool is that? So anyway they should be pretty cheap. I'm probably gonna go ahead and order the braided steel hoses as well. Every little bit helps. I've got a lot of stuff I wanna do to the car, but it just doesn't look like I can afford to do them all at once :mad

I need to win the lottery, maybe buying a ticket would help?
Old 08-07-2001, 04:15 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I had the same thing happen at a recent autocross and a track day at PIR. Both the ABS and ASR lights came on but no BRAKE light and then only after hitting the brakes real hard. The pads appear to have a lot left on them. The fluid is full in the master cylinder and the ASR seems to work OK.

Haven't pulled the codes yet but I think it may be due to low fliud in the prime pipe not necessarily the lines to the calipers. If I get the low fluid code, I would probably bleed the prime pipe first and see if that solves the problem. Does anybody know of a way to keep from spilling fluid in the compartment. Can you put a speed bleeder on the ABS/ASR module??

Get notified of new replies

To Service ABS/Service ASR & Brake Light

Quick Reply: Service ABS/Service ASR & Brake Light