C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

"Master's" brand waterpump, or Dealer pump???

Old 08-05-2001, 06:45 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default "Master's" brand waterpump, or Dealer pump???

I need a new waterpump and I can get a Master's brand pump from O'Rielly's today before 8pm for $149 with a lifetime warranty. OR I can wait until tomorrow and get one from the dealer for $175 and I don't know if it has a lifetime warranty.

I've heard bad stories about the aftermarket alternators and their lifetime warranty.... you end up replacing the damn thing for a lifetime. And that would mean replacing the optispark everytime too.. :eek:
Old 08-05-2001, 06:52 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: "Master's" brand waterpump, or Dealer pump??? (Glock'94)

Gee... you didn't check with Jeff (carfan18) did you??

he has the opti for 320 and the water pump for 130.

that is about what I paid for them back in February.

thinking about it... the aftermarket unit with the lifetime warrantee may not be a bad way to go. if you seal the opti with rtv, it will be less prone to water damage. So, if it leaks, you can dry it out in advance. So... since you have to replace them every 70k anyway, consider the aftermarket...

Old 08-05-2001, 07:38 PM
notbob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: "Master's" brand waterpump, or Dealer pump??? (bogus)

What is this Opti thing you guys keep referring to?

Sorry dumb question but I gotta ask
Old 08-05-2001, 07:55 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Default Re: "Master's" brand waterpump, or Dealer pump??? (bogus)

Well, I did check with Jeff, but he couldn't get me the parts by yesterday, when I needed them. He has a good price on it, but I needed it before he could get it to me (around tues). I got the waterpump (the wrong one) for $50 and a brand new opti for $100... so I got a much better deal, thanks to a buddy of mine.

I think I will go ahead and go with the aftermarket pump. I will be sure to put some RTV around the back of the optispark to keep coolant from leaking in there so easily next time the waterpump goes out (if I even have the car still when that happens).

[Modified by Glock'94, 6:00 PM 8/5/2001]
Old 08-05-2001, 07:59 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Default Re: "Master's" brand waterpump, or Dealer pump??? (notbob)

The "Opti" or "Opti-crap" or "Opti-spark"... any of those that you want to call it, is the Distributor setup for 92-96 vettes (LT-1 engine). It is a great design in itself, however the bad part of the engine design is having a waterpump right above a distributor.. and the waterpump is designed to start leaking when the bearings in it go out. I think GM could have spent a little more time working on this to get something a little more reliable to work right. I think I may see about putting a tube of some kind in the bottom weep hole of the waterpump (where the coolant is supposed to come out when the pump goes bad).

The Opti-which ever is called so because it uses an LED and an optical pickup to keep the timing and spark correct. That's all you need to know unless you want to get really techinical. I will be taking mine apart and posting pictures so you can see the insides. If it isn't oo bad in there.. I might see about salvaging or rebuilding it.

And.. lol.. i just saw this new smiley... LOL!! :U This is what I felt like when the pop corn under the hood started....

[Modified by Glock'94, 6:02 PM 8/5/2001]
Old 08-05-2001, 08:02 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

LOL.. this smiley is awesome too.. :bs
Old 08-05-2001, 10:02 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The next time my waterpump goes out, I'm replacing it with a stewart water pump. They cost $75 and have twice the coolant flow rate that the OEM does.
Check their site at: stewartcomponents.com

Get notified of new replies

To "Master's" brand waterpump, or Dealer pump???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Master's" brand waterpump, or Dealer pump???