C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Where EXACTLY is the '86 Cold Start Injector?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 08:11 PM
Scottsdale Jack
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Default Where EXACTLY is the '86 Cold Start Injector?

I think I need to replace it. When I hit the ignition key to start, the engine turns over about 5 - 10 seconds before it catches and starts, and then it does not want to idle until I give it a bit of gas, then it runs ok. This has been going on for too long. So far we have replaced the fuel pump, the fuel pressure regulator, the coil, timed the engine, cleaned the TB, replaced the injectors (8). and set the TPIS dead on at .054. So what else could it be but the CSI. I can't see it under the plenum, but I know it has to be there somewhere. :confused:
Old 08-06-2001, 08:18 PM
tommelton
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Where EXACTLY is the '86 Cold Start Injector? (Scottsdale Jack)

Drivers side - just behind the front set of runners, it is attached actually to the runner flange, and held on by the rear bolt on the front runners.

It may not be the cold start injector, it may be the cold start thermal switch. It is located on the front of the intake, near the ECM coolant temp sensor.

Depending on your location, it may not even be functional at these summer temps.

Tom Melton
82 CE
86 Z51 Coupe
Old 08-06-2001, 08:20 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Its on the drivers side runners..follow the PCV hose to the intake and its right there in between the 2 sets of runners.There should be a thin grey fuel line coming off it wrapping around the back runner into the back end of the fuel rail.
Since you did all that work and never noticed it before, maybe someone who owned the car before removed it.

Another cause of long starts is the CTS switch in front of the intake manifold.Theres also a thermo time switch next to it there too for cold starts.
A wrong reading can cause it to act up.

However, I removed my cold start injector once and the car started up in like 4 seconds..doesnt take as long as 10 seconds to start it.
Do you have too much or too little timing?That can cause that as well.

Old 08-06-2001, 10:57 PM
Ezgoin721
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Where EXACTLY is the '86 Cold Start Injector? (Bill's86Coupe)

It's probably not your cold start injector. I removed mine when I built the new motor and have no problems with starts...at least not yet (summer). Most everybody I talked to including Lingenfelter said it's totally unnecessary. Look elsewhere for your starting problem, ie..plugs, timing etc.
Old 08-06-2001, 11:44 PM
Hendej
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it more likely that the cold start switch is defective. Now that you can find the injector, probe the socket to see if it's getting juice. Be aware that the only time the cold start fires is during cranking and only then when the coolant temperature is less than 95 degrees F. In Scottsdale this time of year, that's not much past 10 AM, I imagine. The switch is under the air duct behind the diverter valve. HTH.

Get notified of new replies

To Where EXACTLY is the '86 Cold Start Injector?

Quick Reply: Where EXACTLY is the '86 Cold Start Injector?