C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear Bumper Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 10:06 PM
SDS Photography
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Rear Bumper Removal?

does anyone have a write up on this or is it pretty much just as the
Haynes says? how hard is this? I can afford to paint the bumper but I cannot justify paying 300 bones to put this damn thing on.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:40 PM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is what I did. Dropped the mufflers then remove the licence plate and taillights. reach in though the holes and undo the 10MM nuts.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:05 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I did not have to remove the exhaust.

Are you installing a new bumper or repainting the existing one? If you're repainting, the old one only needs to be loosened to get a nice job.

Anyway, here's what I remember....
1) remove rear wheels
2) remove screws into rear bumper which attach rear wheel well to rear bumper
3) disconnect support bar (underneath) bumper side only
4) remove license, tail lights, and side markers (and disconnect plugs)
5) reach in thru tail light holes and remove (or loosen) 10mm nuts

(There is a flange on the bumper AND the rear quarters. Small bolts hold the two flanges together. That's the 10mm nuts you're looking for. Don't remember if you need wrenches on both sides of flange. After you remove the tail lights, you'll be able to feel them.

The job is actually pretty simple. The hard part is you'll be working kinda blind. You can also lay under the rear bumper and see the flange and a couple of bolts if I recall.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:06 PM
SteelBlue90
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled mine last winter and did the same process as greggpenn. Not real difficult, just time consuming, as most of the screw locations along the top only allow for very little socket or wrench travel. I used a 1/4" drive socket and short extension. I think some along the top were a 7mm too.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:33 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by SteelBlue90
I think some along the top were a 7mm too.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:56 PM
corvette1990
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to pile on. GregPenn is quite accurate. I did the same thing this past summer. I would like to add that the corner brackets have very brittle studs. Once I had the rear wheel wells out of the way. I got to those studs with a 2 foot extension and a swivel. You will have to remove the antenna as it is attached to the drivers side corner bracket. I tried soaking the studs in advance, but still managed to break off 4 studs. I had to buy a couple used ones with good studs in them from Contemporary corvette. I also managed to break one of the tail lamps as the scews were almost glued to the plastic. So when the bolts broke loose holding the plastic lamps to the back bumper, it also broke the plastic stantions. Just be prepared to buy some parts when the old stuff comes apart, as plastic breaks easily. Reaching through the gas filler area to get to the top 8 (7mm bolts) scratched my hands up alot, kinda sharp be careful. Good luck..
chris
Old 07-02-2017, 03:21 PM
Kdeman1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette1990
Just to pile on. GregPenn is quite accurate. I did the same thing this past summer. I would like to add that the corner brackets have very brittle studs. Once I had the rear wheel wells out of the way. I got to those studs with a 2 foot extension and a swivel. You will have to remove the antenna as it is attached to the drivers side corner bracket. I tried soaking the studs in advance, but still managed to break off 4 studs. I had to buy a couple used ones with good studs in them from Contemporary corvette. I also managed to break one of the tail lamps as the scews were almost glued to the plastic. So when the bolts broke loose holding the plastic lamps to the back bumper, it also broke the plastic stantions. Just be prepared to buy some parts when the old stuff comes apart, as plastic breaks easily. Reaching through the gas filler area to get to the top 8 (7mm bolts) scratched my hands up alot, kinda sharp be careful. Good luck..
chris
hello! I just pulled mine off, and also broke the 10 mill studs... I'm having trouble finding the plastic studs... any way you can point me to where you got them?
Old 07-02-2017, 06:09 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

Just a little item that happened to me when I had to remove my rear bumper for repaint. The tail lights were all cracked around the bolt holes and looked very questionable to holding again. I took the opportunity to install studs in the light bolt holes. Thus I had only nuts to remove off the studs instead of screwing bolts into the cracked and broken tail lights.

I glued the new studs into the tail light assys with JB Weld and have been holding for 6 years with no problems. I used bolts for the studs and just cut off the heads making studs out of them. I drilled holes in tail lights and used the appropriate size tap for the thread size. Saved me money not having to buy new tail lights assys.

I think it is easier to just remove the nuts and re-installing them than the original bolts. I used stainless steel bolts and nuts to avoid corrosion.
The following users liked this post:
x86 (03-13-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Bumper Removal?

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Removal?