C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Check for codes with obd-ii

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 12:58 PM
GR8FUL1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check for codes with obd-ii

Does anyone know how to do this ? I did search and found info on obd-i, but not obd-ii.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Autozone will check them for you.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:20 PM
JEFNLSA
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redeasysport
Autozone will check them for you.
and it's free. Post your findings here and others will help you troubleshoot.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:05 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Absent a Check Engine Light, there aren't any. A simple Code Reader will set you back a 100 Bucks at most of the Discounters - make sure that they can clear too (though I believe all do). For about 3 times more, you can buy something that will monitor everything and if you don't have any codes, the captured or monitored data will give you a much better idea as to what's going on. However, most system problems set hard codes and light up the light - so you're not going to gain a whole heck of a lot if the display is clear. OB2 Fed emissions warrantys are so demanding, the OEMS didn't allow the bean counters to mandate skimpy quality. More often than not, driveability issues relate to some mechanical problem (or one that's been created by monkeying with something).

For those on the Left Coast, I've been told that Autozone no longer checks/clears OB2 codes. Seems that CARB didn't like it - at least that's the excuse I've heard most often.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:21 PM
Mike_88Z51
Drifting

Location: Sacramento, CA Money can't buy happiness - but it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than a Yugo.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OBD-II is really OBD2. Try a Google search for OBD2. You will find a lot of info and even some free (fairly simple) software available for OBD2. All of the cars sold in the US since model year 1996 have been required to support OBD2. So, you can also find a lot of info on OBD2 scanners and scan tools in the C5 & C6 sections, since they are all OBD2 like your 96.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:26 PM
Fick
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I just checked for codes at Autozone a couple days ago. They wouldn't do it but they did lend me the scanner to use their parking lot.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:55 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

You're in luck. Harbor Freight has them on sale now for the OBD11. They are on sale for $39.99 , the part # in 46030-1RMH. They read all obd11 codes, clear all your stored codes, and comes with a book to give a description of each code and related problem. The web site is
www.harborfreight.com . Good luck.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I noticed our local autozone here in KY doesnt check them either.And this is a non emissions area where theres no inspections or anything!

I just went over to advance and they checked my codes and printed it out for me to see.They did not clear anything though.

My 95 GM van has the OBD2 system but has the OBD1 aldl connector.Its a hybrid of the design I guess and I think some 94 cars had that too.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:58 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

As far as I know, there were no OBD2's until '96. Can you imagine the nightmare it would have been for GM Dealers to have "hybrids" in '94 or '95? They would have meant an investment in new equipment - maybe for a handful of cars, well before the Ford and Chrysler boys. Not good for the Dealers bottom line (and I'm pretty sure they're not that dumb). I do believe there was a cartridge update for the Tech 2 (for the Body Modules - most years there are), but the PCM's still spit out the same old stuff. Your '95 sounds the same as everyone I've seen, but if it's an OBD2, your codes will be four digits, not two, and there are a ton of them.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:33 PM
dlmeyers
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the MY 96, (and other OBD2 applications)there are two levels of codes.

The mandated generic codes. An example would be a generic power train code P0XXX. (You substitute the numbers for XXX and they will be the same for all manufacturers) The zero indicates this would be a generic OBD2 code, common to many manufacturers.

The manufacturers also wanted a second level of codes for their own enjoyment. These codes will be indicated by a 1 in the second place. Example : Powertrain- P1XXX. This would be a manufacturers designation and may not be common to all models.

So, you may find some very inexpensive OBD2 scanners. They may say "universal" or generic, whatever. If you want a good bidirectional, OBD2 scanner, with several manufacture designated codes, you have to do some shoping for the best value.

If you want to learn a lot about OBD2, head for Service Technology Group publications, OBD2, and enjoy. This book will give you all the details. I try to read this book and it gives me a headache.

Enjoy your car.

dlmeyers 90 coupe zf6 3speed shocks
Old 02-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Mike_88Z51
Drifting

Location: Sacramento, CA Money can't buy happiness - but it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than a Yugo.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SunCr
As far as I know, there were no OBD2's until '96. Can you imagine the nightmare it would have been for GM Dealers to have "hybrids" in '94 or '95? They would have meant an investment in new equipment - maybe for a handful of cars, well before the Ford and Chrysler boys. Not good for the Dealers bottom line (and I'm pretty sure they're not that dumb). I do believe there was a cartridge update for the Tech 2 (for the Body Modules - most years there are), but the PCM's still spit out the same old stuff. Your '95 sounds the same as everyone I've seen, but if it's an OBD2, your codes will be four digits, not two, and there are a ton of them.
SunCr, I seldom disagree with you, but in this I disagree. The Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990 required all 1996 model year cars and light trucks built for domestic sale in the US to be OBD2. Requiring the dealers to have OBD2 scan tools and knowledge prior to that date was necessary for training and potential service needs of any new 1996. You don't wait until you sell a 96 to order the equipment and train the techs on OBD2.

Since this was a Federal Mandate, the F*rd and Chrysler guys were under the same constraints and requirements. The mandate did not stop the manufacturers from implementing OBD2 before 96, it just required that it be FULLY implemented in the 96 model year cars. In fact, CA already had some OBD2 standards in place for pre-96 cars.

Most, if not all 95 C4s, have the OBD2 ALDL connector but still use the GM OBD1 protocol. While there are not nearly as many as you hear about, I personally have seen a 95 Vette with OBD2. Usually the owner "assumes" his car is an OBD2 car because of the ALDL connector when it is not really OBD2. The emmissions sticker will tell.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:03 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Again,Yeah my 95 3800 Minivan is an OBD2...Ive been trying to fix a code P0300 random misifre in it again.And it does have the older aldl connector.
I took it to advance auto to have the codes checked and they had to switch their aldl plug in for their OBD2 scanner/code reader and did it that way.

I was able to use my(former) snap on scanner with OBD2 update in the cartridge and use the older aldl connector on.It showed me everything and pulled the OBD2 codes just fine as well.Its a weird set up.Wonder if this Van isnt fully OBD2 but has some of it?I dont know...lol..

Old 02-02-2006, 07:17 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Wanted to add,I was curious about these OBD2 systems,I went to a web site and seen that there are some pre 96 Vehicles that are obd2 compliant but thats aimed at the engine it uses,not the vehicle in particular.The 3.8 V6s of that year were OBD2 compliant on some GM cars and vans.

So I guess that means my van is really an OBD1 but is obd2 compliant.
I was told it was a hybrid but that may be the wrong term and Suncr may be right about all of it.Sorry not trying to hijack the thread,just wanted to share additional info that I found out.

Old 02-02-2006, 12:26 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Interesting stuff - must be my accounting background - oops!

The 0300, at least on West Coast, was almost always injectors, primarily the spiders/poppets, but GM traced the cause to MTBE and then issued a special 100K warranty on everything, including the port injected motors (at least that's how my letter read). The Bulletin instructed the Dealers to clean first which worked on my truck, but I'm not so sure it would do the trick on the 3.8. You can get the hose from Ecklers and then a bottle of 3M's Port Injector Cleaner at NAPA. Disable the pump and then hook up the bottle to the rail and run it until it stalls. I tried it once on my Vette and the 3.1 in my Gran Prix. Only I didn't notice anything - good or bad.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks suncr,
Believe it or not,I swapped injectors,had mine flowtested,rebuilt by rich at cruzinperformance and nothing fixed it.

Im in the process of trying a new crank trigger sensor.I read something online about the code 300 where everything was tried and nothing fixed the problem and they tried a new crank sensor and it was fixed.

I got nothing to lose...still trying to fix the darn thing!

Old 02-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GR8FUL1
Does anyone know how to do this ? I did search and found info on obd-i, but not obd-ii.

Here's some info

http://www.obdii.com/connector.html

Beginning in 94, jump pins 4 and 12 to activate the instrument display for DTC codes. Pins 4 and 12 are on the same vertical row, 4th pin from the left side.

Get notified of new replies

To Check for codes with obd-ii

Quick Reply: Check for codes with obd-ii