C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rebuilt 700R4 back in, have a couple of questions

Old 01-31-2006, 06:45 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Rebuilt 700R4 back in, have a couple of questions

1984 Corvette, 146K, stock, 700R4

Finished reinstalling my 700R4 today. I put a quart of fluid in the Torque Converter prior to installing. I was filling the trans with fluid through the dipstick hole, and got 10 quarts in with no problem. I was going to put the 11th quart in and the start, run up to temp, and recheck. I noticed the 11th quart was going in slowly, and then I discovered about half a quart of fluid on the floor.

Did I initially overfill it? Should I have put in say 9 quarts, started the car, and then finished filling it? Does it sound like it came out the overflow tube? I'm thinking I didn't follow the correct initial fill procedure. Didn't see anything specific regarding the fill procedure in the Helms manual (doesn't mean it's not there, just means I could have missed it).

I cleaned everything up, started the car, and ran it through the gears. When it was completely warmed up, I rechecked the fluid level. Right on full. Drove the car around the block, and it didn't shift correctly (high RPM, hard shifts). Came back, readjusted the TV cable, and drove it again. This time it shifts perfectly. I'm still getting a drop of fluid on the floor every ten minutes or so, running or not, but I think it's just residual from what I spilled, as the rate it's dripping is diminishing.

I had to go to work, so didn't have time to put it back up on stands and check everything thorouhly. When I get the chance I will crawl back under it, clean everything up, and check thoroughly for leaks.

So, what does everyone think? Did I fill it too much without running it initially? I've R&R'd TH350's before, but this was my first 700R4, if that makes any difference.

OH...and on a side note, Jake if you read this, my one piece oil pan gasket sealed PERFECTLY. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:55 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak

Finished reinstalling my 700R4 today. I put a quart of fluid in the Torque Converter prior to installing. I was filling the trans with fluid through the dipstick hole, and got 10 quarts in with no problem. I was going to put the 11th quart in and the start, run up to temp, and recheck. I noticed the 11th quart was going in slowly, and then I discovered about half a quart of fluid on the floor.

Did I initially overfill it? Should I have put in say 9 quarts, started the car, and then finished filling it? Does it sound like it came out the overflow tube? I'm thinking I didn't follow the correct initial fill procedure. Didn't see anything specific regarding the fill procedure in the Helms manual (doesn't mean it's not there, just means I could have missed it).

I cleaned everything up, started the car, and ran it through the gears. When it was completely warmed up, I rechecked the fluid level. Right on full. Drove the car around the block, and it didn't shift correctly (high RPM, hard shifts). Came back, readjusted the TV cable, and drove it again. This time it shifts perfectly. I'm still getting a drop of fluid on the floor every ten minutes or so, running or not, but I think it's just residual from what I spilled, as the rate it's dripping is diminishing.

I had to go to work, so didn't have time to put it back up on stands and check everything thorouhly. When I get the chance I will crawl back under it, clean everything up, and check thoroughly for leaks.

So, what does everyone think? Did I fill it too much without running it initially? I've R&R'd TH350's before, but this was my first 700R4, if that makes any difference.

OH...and on a side note, Jake if you read this, my one piece oil pan gasket sealed PERFECTLY. Thanks for the tip.
This is how I do it:
Put 1 qt in converter.
Put 4 qts in pan.
Start car and let run for 20-25 seconds. Only idle speed. High speed will ruin vanes in pump
Shut off.
Put in 4 more qts.
Start car and idle it.
Put shifter in each detent and leave it in each detent for 30 seconds. Work the shifter handle down to low, then back up to park.
This cleans out the assembly lube on check ***** and completely fills valve body. Then start adding fluid until you are at the bottom part of the XXXXXXX's
Drive the car to put temp in the trans.
Recheck and add as needed.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:18 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Pete....

I started to do it the same way you do, but I was scared of damaging something with the fluid too low. I guess it should have occured to me that without it circulating that it would eventually come out the overflow tube.

Other than making a mess on my new, clean 700R4, it doesn't seem to have had any ill effects. Guess this weekend I'll get back under it with some rags and degreaser.

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:34 PM
Ramanstud
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only overflow tube is the dipstick. If you keep getting spots on the floor, you may not have fully seated the dipstick tube (I know it took me three times to get it right with the trans in the car).

if you're not sure, let the car idle for 10 minutes in a clean spot on the driveway and see if it leaks anywhere.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:11 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Raman....there is a small tube in the center at the top of the transmission. This is the only place it could have come out in the volume that it did.

I am 100% positive that the dipstick tube is FULLY seated into the opening. It fought me a bit putting it in, but it seated all the way to the ridge on the tube. The top of the dipstick tube has no fluid on it.

I drove the car to work today. When I get home tonight, I will recheck the fluid. If it's just residual spilled fluid, it should be done dripping by then. If not, back up on the stands to investigate.

OK, edit. I've checked a bit on the internet and find the tube referred to as a "vent tube". I think this is where "Ol' Faithful" spewed her red puddle.

Last edited by Frizlefrak; 01-31-2006 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:30 PM
Pete K
Race Director

No big deal. You overfilled and aerated the fluid. It likely pushed out the vent. Sounds like the vent did its job. I would not worry.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:07 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pete K
No big deal. You overfilled and aerated the fluid. It likely pushed out the vent. Sounds like the vent did its job. I would not worry.
Kinda what I figured, just wanted to hear it from someone with a little more experience with these transmissions.

It's been in the garage for 30 minutes now, floor is bone dry. Looks like all is well. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:06 PM
Ramanstud
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what the... I've had my tranny out a few times unfortunately, and I swear I've never seen a vent tube on mine.

Is it really small? Lol. Oh well, learn sumthin' new all the time!

Old 01-31-2006, 10:13 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ramanstud
what the... I've had my tranny out a few times unfortunately, and I swear I've never seen a vent tube on mine.

Is it really small? Lol. Oh well, learn sumthin' new all the time!

It is a small flesh colored tube on the top of the trans. The later model 4l60e's used a rubber hose that came down the side of the pan. Fluid puked directly on the road with these.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:44 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

It is a small flesh colored tube on the top of the trans. The later model 4l60e's used a rubber hose that came down the side of the pan. Fluid puked directly on the road with these.
On the 700R4 it still goes onto the road.....it just has to lay a slimy coat on as many surfaces on your transmission as possible first

Originally Posted by Ramanstud
what the... I've had my tranny out a few times unfortunately,
A few times? Man, I'm sorry. This isn't a job I feel like doing again for say....oh, the next decade or so. Althought it did give me a great opportunity to replace all the brittle plastic wiring connectors that I broke.

Seriously though, it was a good learning experience with this car. If I had to do it again, I could in about half the time it took me this time.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:46 PM
Pete K
Race Director

By the 10th time you do it, you can have it out in 45 minutes and back in in 2 hrs.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:54 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

By the 10th time you do it, you can have it out in 45 minutes and back in in 2 hrs.
Let's hope it doesn't come to that

Here's a kinda strange sideline to this whole story. The car had a slight but noticeable driveline vibration that I've never, in 8 years of ownership, been able to track down. It's gone now. I have no idea what I fixed, but I fixed something. Two of the bellhousing bolts were just barely snug when I took it apart, that's the best theory I can come up with. They're all tight now. 3' long extensions are a good thing.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:56 PM
kpforce1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I had my dipstick tube seated all the way too... I was wrong. lol I found some puddles every once and a while.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:03 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Let's hope it doesn't come to that

Here's a kinda strange sideline to this whole story. The car had a slight but noticeable driveline vibration that I've never, in 8 years of ownership, been able to track down. It's gone now. I have no idea what I fixed, but I fixed something. Two of the bellhousing bolts were just barely snug when I took it apart, that's the best theory I can come up with. They're all tight now. 3' long extensions are a good thing.
Sometimes, a small to medium vibration occurs because of excessive wear on the main case bushing that supports the output shaft. If your trans was just rebuilt, it could have been that as well. I always change this bushing during a refresh. That vibe gets annoying.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:05 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Originally Posted by kpforce1
I thought I had my dipstick tube seated all the way too... I was wrong. lol I found some puddles every once and a while.
They are a booger to get in all the way. I lubed the rubber seal and the tube, and then wrapped a rag around the tube to protect it and used a large pair of vice grips to work it down in. It seated all the way to the ridge (begrudgingly). I also peaked under the car with a droplight and mirror....it's all the way in.

Come Hell or high water, this car will be leak free.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:09 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Sometimes, a small to medium vibration occurs because of excessive wear on the main case bushing that supports the output shaft. If your trans was just rebuilt, it could have been that as well. I always change this bushing during a refresh. That vibe gets annoying.
Very possible. The trans was pretty whipped....was slipping in 1st gear, leaking from every possible seal, basically worn out. The difference in the way it drives and shifts is amazing. The guy at Southwest Gear did a good job.....he looks like Grizzly Adams, but knows his way around a transmission.

The absence of the vibration was the first thing I noticed. I guess I'd gotten used to it. It almost seems strange having it gone.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:14 AM
lallend
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Frizlefrak, I changed out my trans about a month ago and experienced the same exact thing as you.

Luckily I just wiped things down as best as I could and have no probs now with leaks after driving for the last month.

You must be right about the vent...

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilt 700R4 back in, have a couple of questions

Old 02-01-2006, 02:04 AM
parafrog
Racer

Location: Tucson, AZ. L98-85 AUTO COUPE: 120k MILES: daily driver. SOUND OFF IF YOU'VE BEEN THERE. Ex-Jumpin' Junky-82nd Airborne-2/505 PIR: 1st ID-1/16th Inf: Recon Marine Retread. GOD BLESS GRUNTS.

here's the technique i used to fill a new tranny from the "1,001 tips" book.

jack up rear wheels 3 inches. install 4 quarts. turn over engine with starter only untill 6 to 8 quarts are installed. this primes the pump. start engine and add fluid till one pint low. run through all gears at low rpm.

raising the tires probably lets everything seat or whatever. it seems to make sense to me. an easy start up must be advantageous.

froggy.

Last edited by parafrog; 02-02-2006 at 05:49 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:03 AM
PBA
Advanced

Put one quart in the TC, then 5 in the pan, start let idle while you are adding fluid as fast as possible. Stop at 10 quarts total, read the stick on both sides, the side that reads lowest is the true reading, keep adding fluid until full. Make sure that the TV cable is adjusted correctly, and drive easy for about 10 miles manually upshifting the transmission. Come back to the shop at the 10th mile, add the necessary fluid to top it off, now drive more normal the next 10 miles, and recheck the fluid level again, and add any fluid if needed. Now you should be able to drive like "you" normally do, thats it.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:23 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mmmmkay

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rebuilt 700R4 back in, have a couple of questions