C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Gans tank building up pressure, why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 10:59 AM
88_vette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gans tank building up pressure, why?

My gas tank is building up pressure. I have to take the gas cap off every few days to bleed the pressure. It's so bad some times the cap, once free from the threads will fly off. Any ideas what is causeing this pressure build up?

Old 08-09-2001, 11:08 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Gans tank building up pressure, why? (88_vette)

Welcome to the world of Fuel Injected cars... it is quite normal, really.

The pressure is caused by the higher pressure of the electric fuel pump, higher pressure that is required to keep the injectors flowing. The fuel return does its thing, and the end result is a pressure build up in the tank. The stored pressure is vented, sorta, through the charcoal canister. You may have a problem with your canister, tho, if the pressure is too high.

Blowing the cap out of your hand is pressure. Check the canister...

Old 08-09-2001, 11:34 AM
Geoff13IOM6GS
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

Default Re: Gans tank building up pressure, why? (bogus)

From what I know that's definatley not normal. You should have vacuum not pressure. Any ideas?
Old 08-09-2001, 01:05 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

There was a post a couple of weeks ago (maybe last week) about someone that had this sort of problem. It turned out their canister was completely gone, and the fuel return line from the canister was competely plugged with rust.

Look in the past posts, he might have turned it into a tech tip as well. It scarred me enough that I went right out and made sure my canister wasn't falling apart. This weekend (if it doesn't rain too much) while I'm doing the brakes on the other cars I'm going to check and see if I can blow thru the lines.
Old 08-09-2001, 06:23 PM
88_vette
Drifting

thanks guys. Could this be casuing running problems. I notice the car not running as well when the pressure is built up. :confused:
Old 08-09-2001, 07:26 PM
nobodyunknown
Drifting

Yeah there was a guy who's tank was getting HOT! from a clogged return line from the canister to the tank.Seems when you go repairing things the lines that were left unhooked for years have had bugs or dirt get in them. :chevy
Old 08-09-2001, 08:23 PM
djpearn
Racer

Default Re: Gans tank building up pressure, why? (nobodyunknown)

My 85 had the same problem. Check the small vacumn actuated valve thats in "the line" just before the canister. mine would not open so the tank fumes would never get sucked in the canister and back into the engine to be burned. If you suck on the small line lightly you will here it open and you will be able to blow or suck thru the larger line easily. NOTE: All blowing and sucking should be done with friend :D

[Modified by djpearn, 6:29 PM 8/9/2001]
Old 08-09-2001, 08:59 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Gans tank building up pressure, why? (djpearn)

Im the one who posted last month about the vapor problemm,Hot Gas Tank and too much pressure....too much pressure is dangerous...I had the same symptoms where the gas cap would want to fly off when loosening..if this happens after a drive for a while, and you touch the gas tank under the bumper, it can get very hot...I almost burned my hand touching it when I went to see if it was hot or not.

Heres the link for the problem I had and how i fixed it.
http://www.corvetteforum.cc:88/zerothread?id=93566

I highly suggest you use compressed air starting from the tank and unhook the rubber lines under the car from the steel line and see if compressed air will pass through.(This is how I found my line was clogged.)

Then see if air will pass through the steel line under the car to the front of the engine.
Check each section of line until youre up front to where ever the vapor line is supposed to vent the gas fumes.

Not sure if youre 88 is a little different then my 86 set up as far as where the vapor lines go.

Since I replaced the canister, rubber hoses and the clogged steel line, i have NO more high pressure back there like before...gas tank doesnt heat up anymore.
After driving around for a good while then get home, it will barely even hiss when I take the cap off to check it..before the fix it was Hissing so loud and hard the gas cap wanted to fly across the street when I took it off.

Get this fixed asap...its a disaster waiting to happen.

Im glad it didnt explode on me.

Old 08-09-2001, 10:38 PM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

This could cause running problems also. The tank being under that much pressure will affect the fuel delivery rate for the engine. That much pressure to blow the cap out of your hand is an accident waiting to happen. :eek:
Old 08-10-2001, 05:33 PM
88_vette
Drifting

Default Re: Gans tank building up pressure, why? (96GrandSport)

Thanks again guys. I had no idea it was not safe. I did have to replace that little black valve thing. This was done a few months ago, and it did help, but didin't fix it. SO, I guess it's safe to say it lies within the caister area. I'll haveto just test everything until I find what's bad. Thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To Gans tank building up pressure, why?

Quick Reply: Gans tank building up pressure, why?