C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone Scanning '86, have questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 12:05 PM
Morley
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rick lambert
I'm not into burning chips-but I would like a scanner so I could see
that all functions (sensors etc.) are working properly. Is there something simple out there? and if I pickep up a used laptop what would be the minimun. I hate chasing things when there are no codes being thrown.
You can pickup a used P1 laptop from E bay for $50 or less, make an ALDL cable for $4 and use free software like Craig Moates' ECM 851. Total investment $54 and some of your time.
Just be sure the laptop you get has an "active matrix screen" AKA TFT or you;ll be cursing it when you try to look at it while driving.

Last edited by Morley; 03-14-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:06 PM
Mangus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ray Quayle
Maybe tomorrow I'll burn a $6E to see how that connects, just for grins.
Please do try this. Please! If it works, there is no need for you to go backwards to the older mask, just stick with $6E. Note that if your car doesn't have VATS, you'll have to disable it in the chip in order for your injectors to fire. You'll also want to unplug your cold start when running $6E.

Please let me know if you're able to connect in AutoProm mode (hor. switch towards the USB, and AutoProm set as the ALDL interface type).

Also, could you email me the bin you're running that is causing you all of this greef?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Please let me know if you're able to connect in AutoProm mode (hor. switch towards the USB, and AutoProm set as the ALDL interface type).

Also, could you email me the bin you're running that is causing you all of this greef?
Mark, Everything worked fine with the $6E mask! I'll send yo a copy of the AARL bin that I took out as soon as I get my adapter from Craig.

Many thanks for all the help through this. I'd still love to know what Diacom does that will allow TunerPro to connect in 8192. I guess if I can make the APYP work as well as the AARL that's in ther now, I'll be happy.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:57 AM
-js-
Racer

Interesting I run a $6E now and swear I had scanned the $32 at 8192 when it was still stock. I recall using winadl first and quickly learned that it was stuck in the 160 mode and then used ECM852. It was always a pain to connect you had to keep sending the command by hitting a key. The other software packages I may of already had the $6E installed.
The late 86 vert memcal was labeled AANM. I did pull it out using ECM852 and have it saved.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:15 PM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by -js-
The late 86 vert memcal was labeled AANM. I did pull it out using ECM852 and have it saved.
That's most likely true for the Auto, my 4+3 used AMJ from the factory. Fairly late, 6895 of 7315. A TSB in May of '87 brought a cal change to AARL for the 4+3. The AARL is what I had in there before installing the APYP.

Should I have used the ARAP? I assumed that was for Auto. But it is for a 3.07. The APYP is for a 6 speed with 3.54. What about my OD? Does any $6E have anything to accept the OD command from the shifter switch? I suppose the TCC will energize the OD relay if using ARAP or maybe CAGS if using APYP, but what about the shifter switch?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Mangus
Please do try this. Please! If it works, there is no need for you to go backwards to the older mask, just stick with $6E. Note that if your car doesn't have VATS, you'll have to disable it in the chip in order for your injectors to fire. You'll also want to unplug your cold start when running $6E.
Mark, Just for grins, could I just use the "Crank Fuel PW vs Coolant" table from my $32 in place of the "Startup Enrich Vs Coolant" table from the $6E and keep the CSI connected?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Mangus
Intermediate

Mark, Just for grins, could I just use the "Crank Fuel PW vs Coolant" table from my $32 in place of the "Startup Enrich Vs Coolant" table from the $6E and keep the CSI connected?

Thanks
I don't have any direct experience with the CSI, but from my understanding the CSI isn't PROM/ECM controlled. With this in mind, you probably want to disable it to avoid flooding.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:27 AM
Morley
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mangus
I don't have any direct experience with the CSI, but from my understanding the CSI isn't PROM/ECM controlled. With this in mind, you probably want to disable it to avoid flooding.
He is correct, the cold start injector is a stand alone system that works off of a thermo-time switch located in the front of the intake manifold. When you start the car and the coolant temp is below 95*f, the thermo-time switch activates and it runs the injector for a few seconds.
To keep your CSI functional and use the $6E code you'll want to "zero" out the "crank fuel P/W vs ref pulse" table to prevent it from adding additional fuel during starting.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Thanks again Mark and Ken. The mechanical and electrical, I've been doing for many years and have a pretty good grasp of, it's the tuning stuff I'm a newb at.

Originally Posted by Morley
He is correct, the cold start injector is a stand alone system that works off of a thermo-time switch located in the front of the intake manifold. When you start the car and the coolant temp is below 95*f, the thermo-time switch activates and it runs the injector for a few seconds..
Yes and the length of time it is activated is also based on coolant temp. The more below 95*°F the longer it stays activated. I appreciate the refresher.

Originally Posted by Morley
To keep your CSI functional and use the $6E code you'll want to "zero" out the "crank fuel P/W vs ref pulse" table to prevent it from adding additional fuel during starting.
This is where I really need your expertise. In comparing these tables between the two bins, first I find that the $32 bin has only 17 rows as opposed to the 24 rows of the $6E bin. I assume this means the first 17 or 24 references pulses from the distributor. No big difference there. The data field of this table appears to be a multiplier to the injector pulse width for the first 17 or 24 reference pulses. What I find confusing is the $32 bin uses a 1.00 multiplier for all 17 pulses and the $6E bin uses a 0 multiplier for the first 8 pulses, then .5 for the next two, then .25 for the next six and then .2 for the remaining eight. I can't get my head around this. The $6E has no CSI, yet for the first 24 DRPs it pulses the injectors at either 0 or a fraction. The fact that I'm too dense to understand this is irrelevant, I suppose. What I need to do is lean the $6E bin to compensate for the CSI. This much I do understand. I also understand this would all be moot, if I did as Mark suggested and disconnected the CSI. Looking into this is really just part of my tuning education. As Ken suggests, I could zero the 16 entries, but I can't see how zeroing these small fractions for 16 reference pulses would be enough to compensate for the CSI. When activated, the CSI goes open until it times out or the engine starts and this would seem to always be longer than 16 reference pulses. This is why I originally mentioned the "Crank Fuel vs Coolant Temp" table. This table shows the $6E bin to have a significatly longer PW than the $32 bin from -40°F all the way up.

I'm obviously confused so any light you can shed on this newbie tuner would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ray Quayle; 03-17-2006 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:06 AM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 255 Likes on 213 Posts

Default Target audience: owners of 1986 4+3 cars

A bit late to the party, but here goes...

1986 ($32) bins are missing a few lines in the serial data initialization routine which are intended to disable transmit through sxr (based on comments in the source). This makes scanning at 8192 baud troublesome compared to the later 87-88 ($32B) and 89 ($6E) bins.

Here's an excerpt from my corrected disassembly with the missing bytes shown in red:

ldaa L4008
ldaa #0x27
staa L4007
ldaa L4009
ldd L3FFC
orab #0x04
jsr LF3B5
std L3FFC
ldaa L4004
anda #0xF7
staa L4004
rts

With the indicated changes along with updated dependencies, my test bin will now respond to the standard mode 1 request (in 10k aldl mode) and transmit 8192 baud data.

Testing has been successful with both TunerProRT V5 and EFILive V4.

Ray Quayle, if you're still interested in this topic, I can provide you with an appropriate bin for test purposes.

Last edited by tequilaboy; 09-26-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:49 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Default how timely!!

I would love to test the $32 bin for my 86 4+3

i use tuner pro rt.

ill pm my email
Old 09-17-2017, 03:29 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
I would love to test the $32 bin for my 86 4+3

i use tuner pro rt.

ill pm my email
Which base bin are you using now? Assume BUB. My initial test work was based on BUA, but I can adapt other bins as required.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:44 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Hey TB, I wouldn't call 11 and a half years late! Thanks for bringing this back. I'm about to get back into this, so please send it on.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:27 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Hey TB, I wouldn't call 11 and a half years late! Thanks for bringing this back. I'm about to get back into this, so please send it on.
Here's BUB_8192.

Note: This bin has only been briefly tested with the ign on and engine off to check connectivity and data flow. It may contain some bugs. Use with caution.

Update: I ran a quick test with the engine running after adapting the bin to fit my car's injectors/maf/IAT/timing/egr/etc.... Runs fine and data looks good.

For those interested in testing, your feedback will be appreciated. Feel free to send me any relevant logs.
Attached Files
File Type: bin
BUB_8192.bin (16.0 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by tequilaboy; 09-22-2017 at 08:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ray Quayle (09-19-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 03:02 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Default 6,835 4+3s built in 1986...and only 2 potential testers so far...

Still interested in feedback on BUB_8192.

BUB is an iron head bin as far as I'm aware, so timing may be conservative for aluminum heads.

For aluminum head cars, which bin would you like to see adapted? AMJ, AARK, AARL, AMA, AML or BUM maybe? Not sure which bcc was most popular.

Post up a copy of your base bins here.

Quick Reply: Anyone Scanning '86, have questions.