C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

AFR180 Head/Valve Cover Gasket sealing problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 12:47 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default AFR180 Head/Valve Cover Gasket sealing problem

I've got the AFR180 heads that accept dual pattern valve covers. I'm switching to the center bolt type covers and the covers are not sealing well and oil drips out alot. Tightened the bolts but still no real improvement. Drip tabs have been removed too. Has anyone had this situation? TIA
Old 03-09-2006, 01:01 PM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GRX
I've got the AFR180 heads that accept dual pattern valve covers. I'm switching to the center bolt type covers and the covers are not sealing well and oil drips out alot. Tightened the bolts but still no real improvement.
If the oil returns in the back of the heads wern't opened up a little, quite a bit of oil will sit in the corner pockets and along the bottom edge, below the v.cover rail on the heads.
I have the 190's center bolt etc. What I did was use a smear of sealant all the way around, between the gasket and the valve cover. I made sure the head side was cleaned first, put covers on and tightened from center out evenly and gradully till tightened, and no leaks. I also noticed that the V.covers can be postioned not exactly straight (some room top to bottom)tried to center the best possible (I hate saying this for fear of the corvette jinx)Hope this helps
Old 03-09-2006, 02:47 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

What? I thought tyhe center valve covers were supposed to seal BETTER than the old style 4 bolt versions? This is ridiculous. Why in the heck did I bother switching over to these? I hate GM more each day. unfreakin' believeable, it seems just the SLIGHTEST attempt to do something on this car is a nightmare.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:22 PM
mseven
Le Mans Master

I agree, sometimes it sure seems like that. What V. cover and bolt set are you using ?
Old 03-09-2006, 04:56 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

They're '86 center bolt covers with Comp pro magnumn rockers. I'm thinking: should I remove the ribs on the inside of the cover? The drip tabs are already flushly cut.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:28 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

ttt
Old 03-09-2006, 06:36 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

On my LT1 I had to remove the Valve covers inside ridge all the way around because the AFR heads are thicker at the mating surface then the stock GM heads. BTW this is a problem because you are trying after market heads on a GM motor so bashing GM because their VCs don't work with a set of AFR heads is a little off the mark IMHO. Without the ridge removed the covers would not press against the gasket and make a good seal.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

See if Felpro makes this gasket in a center bolt style.

felpro 1628 is what that is. That was the only gasket that would seal my AFR
Old 03-09-2006, 07:54 PM
bacardioil
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this has always been a problem with AFRs. AFR said their new heads cure this problem. this is not a GM problem.
regards
Old 03-09-2006, 07:59 PM
mseven
Le Mans Master

I used the GMP ones W/ their covers and they seal fine. Those fel-pro look much better than what I currently using.
I also asked which cover you were using because on mine I had to use the shorter stock L98 bolts. The AFR's are not tapped deep enough for the GMP bolts they ship w/their covers. The replacement bolts end up being to long and bottoming out, preventing the cover from being tightened to the head properly.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:28 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Went back to the '85 covers. Those things have tons of headroom! The centerbolt cover go into storage.

Used some 'play-dough' and it showed an interference with the polylocks and the cover.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:27 AM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Have come to the conclusion that these AFR head's valve sealing 'lip' is LOWER than GM's. Hence what I went through yesterday. Of course, I don't have GM ones lying around to do a comparison.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:36 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

The gaskets that corvette 0096 posted look real good, and may give the additional height required to use your new covers.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Redmenace
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FD2BLK
On my LT1 I had to remove the Valve covers inside ridge all the way around because the AFR heads are thicker at the mating surface then the stock GM heads. BTW this is a problem because you are trying after market heads on a GM motor so bashing GM because their VCs don't work with a set of AFR heads is a little off the mark IMHO. Without the ridge removed the covers would not press against the gasket and make a good seal.
Had this same problem with Edelbrock heads on an L98. Took me awhile to figure out that inside ridge was contacting at the back of the head and preventing the cover from laying on the sealing surface.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:07 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Redmenace
Had this same problem with Edelbrock heads on an L98. Took me awhile to figure out that inside ridge was contacting at the back of the head and preventing the cover from laying on the sealing surface.
Weird, the tech at AFR told me that I didn't need to remove that on mine.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:06 PM
blown87
Race Director

GA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Corvette0096
That was the only gasket that would seal my AFR
I had problems with my Big Block with merlin heads, and gaskets like that were the only way i could get them to seal. They are $$, but worth it. I use them for most of my cars now.

PS, does any one have more info on the new AFR heads?
Old 03-19-2006, 07:35 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GRX
Weird, the tech at AFR told me that I didn't need to remove that on mine.
It is real easy to check but I can tell you my AFR 195's with stock LT1 composite valve covers would leak unless the inner s removed.

Get notified of new replies

To AFR180 Head/Valve Cover Gasket sealing problem

Old 03-19-2006, 07:39 PM
robs87vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Redmenace
I have the same problem with my AFRs using Proform GMPP Centerbolt Valve Covers. I have an article somewhere where it tells you what to shave off and how much of the inside lip ov the covers. I'll see if I can find it since I need to do mine next week too.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i agree with robs87, same problem here, then i asked my mechanic to machine the inner lip from each vc end, i forget the amount removed but it was a quick easy job. gmpp proforms, centerbolts. that way, the vc's seat properly on the wider-railed AFR heads.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:59 PM
robs87vette
Racer

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/fram...utorparts.html

I couldn't get the exact link but if you follow the link above, then scroll down and click the link for "Valve Covers", then scroll through the valve covers to "141-130 GM 12497978 SBC Die Cast Polished Valve Cover" and click on the link that says "Inner Lip Milling" it has pics and instructions how to do it. Hope this gets you there, if not let me know

Quick Reply: AFR180 Head/Valve Cover Gasket sealing problem