C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

SCCA approved roll bar for a convertible

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 11:15 AM
sonomacrew01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SCCA approved roll bar for a convertible

I'd like to get more than 1 run in at my local strip before getting the boot (thats if I beat 13.5). So are there any companies that make a temporary roll bar for a convertible? Would it require me to remove the soft-top and deck-lid?
Old 03-19-2006, 11:39 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You might find that getting a factory convertible hardtop will be an easier way to run legally and not be required to have a rollbar. A rollbar may have to be welded in place and the chances are it will have to be at least a 4-point bar or even a 6-point.

OEM hardtops are occasionally found on the C4 parts for sale section or eBay. The OEM hardtop has a steel "halo" bar in it that sttaches to the B-pillars of the body and to the windshield frame. Look behind the seats at the edge of the door jamb and you will see 3 bolt holes. These are for brackets that attach the top to the car. On the underside of the windshield trim (near where the sunvisor arm is) you will see a hole; inside that hole is an encapsulated bolt for attaching the front of the hardtop to the car.

The softtop does not have to be removed for the hardtop to be installed; just fold it down. With the hardtop in place, the 'vert actually is stiffer than a coupe and you will find the car is quiter inside and most squeaks and rattles will go away.

The OEM hardtop should allow you to run up to 11.5 on an NHRA track.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 03-19-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:23 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sonomacrew01
SCCA approved roll bar for a convertible
The SCCA is sanctioning drags, now?

RACE ON!!!
Old 03-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Cory@LS2PortWorks
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
The SCCA is sanctioning drags, now?

RACE ON!!!

I'll be needing one of these as well. My currnet plan is to get the Vert running and tuned up... then get it banned from the strip by running low 12's or high 11's without a bar or solid top.

I've seen DRM sells a bar for Verts and so does IOportracing (autopower seller). I supect that either of these would work for autocross as they are. To run drags you need a driver door bar added. Of course one would have to make sure that the bar configuration meets the tech rules for drag.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:43 PM
sonomacrew01
Burning Brakes

Does anyone have any specs on making a roll bar? I could get my hands on some DOM tubing and make one

similar to

Old 03-19-2006, 06:33 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Check with the SCCA and any other sanctioning bodies whose drag strips you intend to race at. The legal requirements are probably in their respective rule books. The other specs will have to come from your car, via a tape measure.

RACE ON!!!
Old 03-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Autopower
RACE ROLL BAR

"Designed for solo autocross and time trials.
Meets SCCA and most race organization rules.
Tube size and type can be selected for individual needs.
4 point mounting with welded diagonal crossbrace.
All necessary installation hardware included."

Corvette Convertible 84 - 96: #71410 (Street) #70410 (Race)
I/O Port Racing[/URL] has prices and more information on available styles.

Roadster / Coupe

Like CFI-EFI says, do your own checking. Confirm that whatever
product you are looking at meets the regs.

Last edited by Slalom4me; 03-21-2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:48 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

actually what you need to do is check IHRA or NHRA rules since they control drag strips. I believe what you will find is you need to have at least 5 points of support to be legal. The main loop, 2 supports going to the back and 1 up front or 2 (6 point) There are specs on height and the angle of the back supports etc.
The problem with a vert is getting a bar with the back supports that will clear the rear deck, the conv. top, etc. without having to cut it up. I dont know of anyone making a nhra ihra legal bolt in bar. Most all of them are custom made by companys such as neverlift etc.
You may want to consider finding a factory hardtop as this usually qualifys your car as a coupe which should be good to 11.5 sec. in most cases however there can be acceptions to that as well.

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA approved roll bar for a convertible

Quick Reply: SCCA approved roll bar for a convertible