C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Sharing my Experience with headers.....Fastburn and LT1/LT4 style

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 10:44 AM
1992B4C
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sharing my Experience with headers.....Fastburn and LT1/LT4 style

I have been through a long ordeal with finding headers for my car, so I thought I would share... FYI

The car:
1990 Vette w/ 6 speed.

Engine:
1977 4 bolt 001 casting (high nickle content block)
GM Fastburn heads
TPI Miniram III (built for the GM Fastburn heads due to the raised runner)

The problems with headers:
The Fastburn heads have raised intake and exhaust port locations very similar to the LT1/LT4 engines. In fact, The exhaust ports are exactly the same (D-port raised).

I had a set of Hooker 2149 headers that were supposed to be for L98 and LTx engines. Well, I did not want the AIR crap, so I sold them and bought some REALLY nice Hedman elite headers (HED-68448). The fit was perfect and the finish and build quality was amazing. BUT, the exhaust flange did not fit the Fastburn heads well at all. Since the Fastburn ports are raised, the Hedmans were choking off the top part of the port. So, I promptly returned them.

After having the Hedmans fit the chassis so well compared to the Hookers, I did not want anything to do with the Hookers. (and the build quality of the Hedman Elites was far better than the Hookers)....

So I start searching for LTx specific headers. I saw http://www.melroseheaders.com/ and noticed their application was for LTx style engines. I contacted them and asked them about the flange. They indicated they used the same flange for all the headers and that the port is big enough to cover the LTx style ports. I was leary and found that the company they get theirs headers made by (HOWE in Michigan) also has a GM Fastburn flange. And since the Fastburn and LTx have the same exhaust port, that means they are also for LTx engines.

I then asked Melrose to order the set from Howe with the Fastburn flange. got the headers and they fit perfect to the flange. In fact, the flange was oversized evenly around the port, allowing a lot of room for porting to the head. I picked up the headers in person at Melrose and compared the Fastburn flange (my header) to the standard flange they have. The standard flange would have fit afterall, but with a lot of porting, you may want to go with the Fastburn flange for the LT1/LT4 or Fastburn application. Melrose only wanted $10 additional for the flange change.

Here is a link to the Fastburn flange:
http://www.howeracing.com/Exhaust/Index-Flanges.htm (flange 'F')

The exhaust gaskets I use are the felpro 1470 (GM specifies to use them with the Fastburn head in the Fastburn literature) or the felpro 1406 fit perfectly if you do any porting.

Last edited by 1992B4C; 06-23-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:57 AM
1992B4C
Racer

What I did not like about the Melrose Motorsports headers was the fit to the chassis. The driver side fit fine, but the passenger side needed some tweeking. The numebr 2 cylinder primary tube was too close to the frame (actually contacting) and the number 8 primary was only about 1/16" from the starter.

So with a torch and some muscle, I moved the primary tubes so they fit better.

The other problem was I have to either unbolt the starter or remove the frame brace to install the header on the passenger side (the driver side slips right in from the top or bottom). With the Hedman Elite HED-68448 header, I did not have to do either. They just slipped right in.

Also, the Melrose Motorsports headers do not have a bolt on flange at the collector, so I welded on a ball-socket flange.

Last edited by 1992B4C; 06-22-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:03 PM
1992B4C
Racer

One last interesting note..... I just talked personally with Hedman headers. They sell LT1 headers for the Impala SS and Camaro/Firebird. The guy told me that the flanges for those applicaitons were identicle to the flanges on the 68448 Elite header for the Vette.

That means all the people who use the Hedman headers must be choking off the exhaust port.....
Old 06-22-2006, 05:51 PM
JBI
Burning Brakes

I'm glad you started this thread, as I've been just about ready to buy the Melrose Headers and dual exhaust system for my 89 L98. I've spoken a little with Chris there and I'm pretty much torn between them and TPiS. Just trying to make sure that some issues that came up this week with the car are'nt gonna eat into my Header money.

But anyway, from looking at your headers and the problem with the passenger side fit issues, does it look like, to you, that an L98 with 113 heads would have the same problems? If your not sure, no worries, I just have'nt read of anyone else here who has installed the Melrose ones yet, and I'm trying to get a feel for if I might be better off going with TPiS and having a muffler shop do the duals.

Thanks in advance,
JB
Old 06-22-2006, 06:09 PM
FELNGR8
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1992B4C
The other problem was I have to either unbolt the starter or remove the frame brace to install the header on the passenger side (the driver side slips right in from the top or bottom). With the Hedman Elite HED-68448 header, I did not have to do either. They just slipped right in.

Also, the Melrose Motorsports headers do not have a bolt on flange at the collector, so I welded on a ball-socket flange.
I used the TPIS LT1 headers. On the passenger side you have to unbolt the angled frame brace (beneath the motor mount) to put the headers up into the car, and then bolt the frame brace back on. This is clearly noted on TPIS's installation instructions, but I had to download the document from their site to know this. After I struggled for a while. This is easier than messing with the starter. You will have to bolt it back with an end wrench because there's no room for a socket with the headers in the car.

Just a small thing, but if you use either Melrose or TPIS you might want to download the installation document from TPIS.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:04 PM
DanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Great info How much did the Melrose headers run ya? Their complete exhaust system looks a bit pricey. Nice stuff, but financially out of my league
Old 06-22-2006, 10:02 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Smart move on the ball flange.. I did that to my Hooker Headers

Aklso Call Chris at Melrose and tell him about your issues. I bet he would be interested in knowing stuff like that
Old 06-23-2006, 07:51 AM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trying to learn a little about this. I've seen "ball-socket flange" listed on the pair of headers I have, and I don't know what that means.
Can I get a quick explanation (or link to a site that has a description)?

Thanks
Old 06-23-2006, 03:43 PM
1992B4C
Racer

Originally Posted by mikey whipreck
Trying to learn a little about this. I've seen "ball-socket flange" listed on the pair of headers I have, and I don't know what that means.
Can I get a quick explanation (or link to a site that has a description)?

Thanks
A picture is worth a million words:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...chItemId=80795
Old 06-23-2006, 03:50 PM
1992B4C
Racer

Originally Posted by FELNGR8
.................This is easier than messing with the starter. You will have to bolt it back with an end wrench because there's no room for a socket with the headers in the car.

Just a small thing, but if you use either Melrose or TPIS you might want to download the installation document from TPIS.
I would suggest sliding the header in, then reinstalling the brace, and then bolting on the header. I would think that would make life easier. I personally have not tried that yet b/c I have not done the final install - just sent the headers off for coating
Old 06-23-2006, 04:03 PM
1992B4C
Racer

Originally Posted by DanZ51
Great info How much did the Melrose headers run ya? Their complete exhaust system looks a bit pricey. Nice stuff, but financially out of my league
I paid just under $500. That was with no emissions crap and no coating. It did come with an oxygen sensor bung on both sides which was really nice... One thing that the Hedmans should do.

Now add the $50 for the ball flange and $250 to get coated at Swain Technologies..........

Overall, these headers are costing my a TON of money that I do not have. I really wish the Hedmans would have fit.......
Old 06-23-2006, 04:14 PM
1992B4C
Racer

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
Smart move on the ball flange.. I did that to my Hooker Headers

Aklso Call Chris at Melrose and tell him about your issues. I bet he would be interested in knowing stuff like that
I thought about contacting them about that, but thought he would see this post. I just chalked it up to aftermarket parts not fitting perfectly. Although the Hedman's were a beautiful fit......

Last edited by 1992B4C; 06-28-2006 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:40 PM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

Thanks I see my headers have those
Old 06-26-2006, 10:58 AM
1992B4C
Racer

I think I might have found a reason the Hedman Elites flange was choking off the exhaust ports...

Here is a qoute from another header post (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...64621&page=3):

Originally Posted by Aaron's 87
Summit told me the same. But, unlike the phone jockey at Summit, I've held and measured 68440 and 68448. 68440 has thinner flanges and tubing and 1.5x" round ports. 68448 has thicker flanges and tubing and 1.2"x1.5" ports. Again, this applies to the headers I bought, maybe they've fixed things in the past 6 months. Other than the port size, the 68448 seemed like well put together pieces. I wish I could have used them.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:32 AM
comp
Team Owner

Old 06-26-2006, 04:51 PM
1992B4C
Racer

If it is true that the Elite Hedman;s have a 1.2"x1.5" port and all the other "non-Elite" headers have a 1.5"x1.5" port then .... WTF??????!!?!?!?!?!?!

Why would the premium header have a smaller flange port?
Old 06-27-2006, 05:42 PM
melrose
Collections Ban

Location: Name calling begins in the absence of fact and reason
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about contacting them about that, but thought he would see this post. I just chaled it up to aftermarket parts not fitting perfectly. Although the Hedman's were a beautiful fit......
Just fell upon this thread. I am very sorry to hear you had fit problems. We sell many of these and haven't heard of any issues with fit. We pride ourselves on good fitting products, and although the C-4's are lot more of a pain in the a$$ to fit than the C-5 and C-6's I haven't heard from anyone with your issues. I am glad you got it handled. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. P.S.- Don't be afraid to call and make me aware of a problem. I can't fix it if I don't know about it.
Thanks Chris
Old 06-28-2006, 03:59 PM
1992B4C
Racer

Originally Posted by melrose
Just fell upon this thread. I am very sorry to hear you had fit problems. We sell many of these and haven't heard of any issues with fit. We pride ourselves on good fitting products, and although the C-4's are lot more of a pain in the a$$ to fit than the C-5 and C-6's I haven't heard from anyone with your issues. I am glad you got it handled. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. P.S.- Don't be afraid to call and make me aware of a problem. I can't fix it if I don't know about it.
Thanks Chris
I can not guarantee that my chassis is not tweaked at all (causing the mis-fit b/c I bought the car w/ 100,000 miles on it), but it does align perfectly and I have had not weird handling issues - so that leads me to believe that it is pretty straight. I guess I should have let you guys know personally, but I would have tweaked them myself anyway.

Overall, I think the headers are real nice pieces. Some of the bends were a bit sharp, but that seemed to be due to the chassis application. And customer service with Melrose has been top notch thus far

The only real gripe I have is that you have to take off the right hand frame brace to install the passenger side header. That is really a pain in the a$$ and makes the install take a lot more time.

Get notified of new replies

To Sharing my Experience with headers.....Fastburn and LT1/LT4 style

Quick Reply: Sharing my Experience with headers.....Fastburn and LT1/LT4 style