C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Torque Converter Lock-up Speed Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2001, 10:36 PM
Cruz 86
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Torque Converter Lock-up Speed Question

The torque converter on my 86 locks up only in 4th at 67 mph. I changed from 2.59 gears to 3.07 gears and it still locks up at 67 mph so I guess its set by speed and not rpm. Is this programed into the PROM? Is my setting (67 mph) normal. I dont know if the car has an after market chip or not. Dont the converters usually lock-up in other gears besides 4th? Can I control this manually with a switch?
Old 09-09-2001, 10:42 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Torque Converter Lock-up Speed Question (Cruz 86)

I don't recall what mine used to lock up as stock with 2.59s and a stock motor. It now in "D" locks at 41 MPH. That's about all I can tell you.
Old 09-10-2001, 06:03 AM
drive it
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

Yes, the prom controls the lockup. The original gm program had it locking at 15 mph. There is a lockup constant for low gear and high gear, but I found mine would only lock once its in fourth-don't know if thats the tranny or they all do it. Hypertech etc. usually program it at 40mph. Personally I set mine at 45mph-smoother for me as far as driveability. 67mph is too high-if it doesn't lock its slipping which is producing heat, and heat kills your tranny. There are also tables for unlocking and locking the tq according to throttle position; if you step on it you want it to unlock and then relock as you let up off the throttle. It sure sounds like the prom is changed but I can't imagine why anyone would set the lockup so high-but if its consistant in lockup speed then it doesn't sound like a short. Yes you can wire a switch to manually lockup the tc but thats a pain to use daily-if you forget to unlock it as you stop it will stall out. Better to try a stock chip, or burn a new one with better parameters in it. If someone did try a self burn and didn't know what they were doing you may be better off to try a different one.
Old 09-11-2001, 12:35 AM
c4paul
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my '84, when driving normally, it locks up at about 43 MPH. The lockup is higher if I'm getting on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Torque Converter Lock-up Speed Question

Quick Reply: Torque Converter Lock-up Speed Question