C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

My sometimes professional opinion on thermostats

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Alvin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05
Default My sometimes professional opinion on thermostats

This post is to reflect the experience I have learned first hand w/ SBC's and LT1's. No part of this information was gathered directly from another source. It is not intended to be a "God's Law" or "Final Conclusion" as there are many opinions on this subject.

Background
The optimal operation temperature of an engine is such to provide efficient combustion without excess heat scrubbing, to stay within the metallurgy limits of the internal components, and finally to prevent fuel/air charge to be near spontaneous combustion temperature after the compression stroke.

1. Efficient Combustion
Internal combustion engines work on the principle on releasing heat in fixed and ideally isobaric (constant pressure during power stroke) chamber to displace a piston.

When there is a temperature difference between to spots you have a potential difference for heat transfer to happen. So what this means is if you have heat flowing down hill all the time. In this case heat will flow out of the combustion chamber and into the heads, the block, the piston etc. This heat is now wasted energy and obviously if you have a greater difference between the combustion and engine/coolant temperature you will have a higher potential to waste more of this otherwise useful heat.

2. Metallurgy limits.

Very simple. We would love to run our engines at a very high temperature to reduce the "downhill" for the heat that we intend to do work with but unfortunately this isn't possible due to material limits. Those limits include thermal expansion and obviously ductility at high temperatures (this is the root of wearing) and melting point.
Material engineers are working new materials that can be hard, have high melting points, yet be tough and not brittle. New ceramics are looking promising
3. Heat exchange to fuel/air charge

During the compression process you create tons of heat. This heat is compiled with any heat scrubbed off the intake, head, and cylinder walls during the intake and compression strokes. If enough heat is transferred to the fuel/air charge you'll run into pre-ignition. This is very hard on a engine and definitely ruins performance.
An interesting way around this problem is a solution like presented in the new direct injection eco-tech engines. Fuel is sprayed directly into the cylinder at or near TDC to limit the time the fuel is subjected to heat from compression, head, intake, etc. The Eco-tech engines are able to run higher compression and higher levels of boost. Another slightly older solution to this problem has been the introduction of composite intakes. The idea is to transfer less heat from the engine block to the intake.

On to real world.

The L98 typically calls for either a 195 or 190 degree thermostat from the factory. The LT1 calls for a 180 degree thermostat from the factory. What is the difference for?

The reason why is simple.
The difference is because LT1's thermostat controls water flowing into the engine whereas the L98 thermostat controls water flowing from the engine. Obviously there will be a hotter temperature leaving the engine than entering the engine so therefore appropriate temperature thermostats where chosen to deliver the desired engine operating temperature. *The change in temperature between the inlet and exit sides of the coolant WILL happen if any heat transfer took place.

My choices in thermostat.

For LT1 160 thermostat (180 operating temp)
For L98 180 degrees (slightly less than 200 degree operating temp)

Why? Well, because I've seen better results with those combos but I'll try to justify them here.

The L98 (and gen 3 and 4) uses a traditional SBC style cooling system. In this system coolant is sent to the block, then the heads, then the intake and finally back to the radiator. The LT1 uses a unique reverse-flow cooling system where coolant is first sent to the heads, never sent to the intake, then sent to the block and finally back to the radiator.

Remember #3 from above? Let the LT1 capitalize on the reverse flowing coolant system and try to keep a cool dense air charge into the engine by offering a cooler head temperature. We can do this without worrying about ruining number #1 because water entering the block is now warmer than what we allowed to entering the heads.

Why do I choose a 180 for the L98?
Because I have found it to be a nice fine balance between numbers 1 and 3 from above. It allows us to run a hotter tune in the engine, keep the efficiencies up, and gives us a little more wiggle room when it comes to the quality of fuel we use.

This is all opinionated and is not intended to be a bible for picking out thermostats. It is intended to give a fairly qualified and experienced answer from someone who sees both sides of the L98 and LT1 fence.

Last edited by Alvin; 09-01-2006 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:48 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Interesting observations and opinions. I, for one, find no argument.

RACE ON!!!
Old 09-01-2006, 07:48 PM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Alvin -

Good post. I like the way you put together your rationale.

Steven
Old 09-01-2006, 07:59 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

I agree on the L98 for sure. 10 years ago I had a Hyper chip and they said to use a 160*. Took forever to warm up in the cold weather and did not run any cooler in the summer. I have been using a 180* since then.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Alvin
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Cool, Can it be a sticky?
Old 09-01-2006, 08:37 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

I vote for "sticky" and "locked", before the arguing starts.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:47 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Alvin
Cool, Can it be a sticky?
I've asked for a thermostat sticky several times.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:55 PM
87 rag
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Alvin,
It might be time for me to switch.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:28 PM
byebyeL98
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
Sticky! Let us never debate the subject again
Old 09-02-2006, 12:09 AM
TorchRedlt4man
Drifting

Location: Chicago Executive Airport, formerly known as Palwaukee
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I agree totally with your reasoning, Alvin!
Old 09-02-2006, 12:10 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
Arguing, here?
Alvin, any thoughts on the 160 in an LT1 as it relates to fuel economy? Very well explained ideas, BTW.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:25 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Damn. He smartly dodged all the juicy points.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:07 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

If you recommend a 180 stat for L98's and claim the coolant temp is slightly below 200, then the thermostat is wide open and it does not control the engine coolant temp. Except for warmup time, you might as well not even have a thermostat in your L98 because the L98 will run at the same temp as with the 180 stat. I use the recommended 195 stat in my 87 and above 35 mph, my coolant stays at 195 and the thermostat controls my coolant temperature. All of my previous cars used a mechanical fan, conventional coolant flow, and a 180 thermostat and the temp stayed at 180, even at stoplights in the summer. The 180 thermostat controlled the coolant temp because the radiator had excess heat ridding capacity even in high summertime temps. I think people ask about and use 160 stats because their previous cars too stayed at the stat opening temp and they think their C4 would do the same if they used a lower opening temp stat. The higher temps in C4's than previous experience with past cars cause concern because whenever I saw my temp exceed 180 in previous cars, I knew I had some kind of cooling problem. The point I have always made in C4 160 stat posts is that a lower opening temp stat will not necessarily provide a lower coolant temp. In the winter, when the radiator has much higher heat ridding capacity, your cooling sytem may run at the opening temp, and 160 F is too low for engines. C4's have radiators sized to maintain 195 coolant temps above 35 mph and (from my experience) air temps up to 90 F. Even at 90 F and idling with the a/c on, L98's don't run dangerous coolant temps. GM says in owners manuals to shut the engine off at 260 F and let it cool off. Except when I had a bad head gasket leak, I have never seen 260 F in my 87 vette and I have the original engine with 209k miles and I drive it everyday in every kind of weather. In future posts about 160 stats installed with claims that the coolant temp runs higher than 160 F but lower than the 180-195 stat, you can expect to see me there still trying to explain that if both stats are wide open, then the operating temp must be the same.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:50 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

180° is working wonderfully in my L98.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:00 PM
jeff32463
Intermediate

My 88 has run much better since I switched to the 180* stat. Better consistent throttle response. Just my novice opinion.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Steel Breeze
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a delicate dance we do, because of so many variables. Weather, fan on of temps, outside ambient air temps, and etc... I think like Alvin, around 200* most of the time. The high heat situation that GM engineered into our cars for emission control, is just plain to hot IMO. Heat like that eats up alternators, wiring etc. The alternator usually has 2 cooling fans. 1 for the diodes, the other for the stator, and rotor. Imagine your alternator trying to cool when all it has to pull through the fans is 230* air. Don't count out the poor bearings either. Reason for all this alt. talk, is I just rebuilt mine, and could see the effects of high heat on the internals. Example: 2 out of the six 50 amp diodes had been hot enough they were all bubbled, they checked ok, but I bought a new set. No way was I running those... My .02.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Steel Breeze
My .02.
Heat is the big killer of alternators. That's why they're generally larger, the higher the amp rating, to better dissipate the heat. Many manufacturers tried smaller, high amp ones but most went back to a larger case where practical because of reliability problems. Anyhow, I digress. As usual, good insight Steel Breeze, on yet another good reason to moderate temps.
Since I've installed the new and larger engine, I've been on a quest to diminsh underhood temps. And of course part of this is obviously better controlling and regulating engine temps. Although coolant temps are only up slightly, oil temps are up a bit more than that. And one thing I never before considered in dismissing the 160 stat for LTx engines was the reverse flow. I long ago quit reading and responding to these threads because it was something I was tired of arguing about. But oddly enough I was looking at the engine and thinking about this just the other evening, while replacing the remainder of the coolant hoses on my car that I hadn't already replaced. Then I saw this thread. And since it was by Alvin, I decided to give it a read. I'll be visiting my daughter next week. Her husband works for Jegs. I'll have him pick me up a Hypertech stat (at his discount) and I'm going to give it a try. Damn shame if it works, I just got done installing a new GM one with the new engine!

Get notified of new replies

To My sometimes professional opinion on thermostats

Old 09-02-2006, 12:56 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn, i just replaced 160* yesterday, previously had 180*. have to drive today to see actual diff. Drove last night for 5-6 miles after replaced. Temp stays between 179-183 w/160*, and previously with 180* temp stays 183-195 only in night time driving.

Make this sticky.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:54 PM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Nice...well thought out post Alvin I'm actually pro 180 in the L98 and anti 160 in the L98....don't know anything about the LTs, so I don't comment. I think however, if we get the desired running temps of around 180 it really doesn't matter which.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:33 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

OK, here's something else to look at when running a 160* stat in an LT1. On a cool day I will see ~176* on my digital temperature gauge. But, 185* on my analog gauge. The digital gauge measures the coolant temp entering the engine, and the analog gauge measures the actual engine coolant temps. So, to me even if the digital gauge says 176*, the engine is really running 185*.

Quick Reply: My sometimes professional opinion on thermostats