C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Crap! Where's neutral?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2001, 12:24 AM
jmr302
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Crap! Where's neutral?!

I just installed my new 383 longblock and 4+3 trans as a unit yesterday. After gettting the C-beam installed (see link at bottom of post) I bolted the slave cylinder onto the bellhousing. The problem is the car will not come out of gear. The clutch release fork is moving and I placed the release bearing correctly on the fork, just like the manual says to (flange of release bearing over the spring, not between spring and fork). I can shift thru all the gears but reverse and I'm assuming this is just because the engine isn't running. The trans acted this way the last time it had a running engine in front of it. When I put the shifter in neutral though, the car is still in gear. Has this ever happened to anybody else? Will it go away if I fire up the car, warm things up, and get the oil flowing in the transmission again? I suppose the rear of the car would have to be on jackstands to even start the thing. That's okay, I'm still a long way from strarting this thing up. While the trans was out I replaced the oil in the gearbox section of the trans. It seems to be leaking from the shift levers on the case, which I thought was strange. There is no oil in the OD section since I didn't want to make a mess during the engine/trans install. I don't see how that would make a difference but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

The clutch set is a Centerforce Dual Friction, p/n 161-1911. The flywheel is an external balance 153T McLeoud p/n 460300-2. The flywheel appears to be exactly the same thickness as the flywheel that came off the old 350 which also had a Dual Friction clutchset.

I'm stumped as to why neutral isn't. It almost feels like I'm not reaching neutral but the gear gates feel normal. This trans has sat on my workbench (never disassembled) for 6 months.

Suggestions?

PS: Sorry for the long post.

The tricky C-beam instl:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=150327

[Modified by jmr302, 10:27 PM 9/13/2001]
Old 09-14-2001, 05:47 AM
vinny85
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crap! Where's neutral?! (jmr302)

jmr,
Glad you got your c-beam on no prob. I had a similar problem with my trans after I reinstalled it (4+3 also). I mentioned in the other thread that I rebuilt the o/d section. Well, the first time I put the transmission on, it was definitely binding somewhere. The driveshaft would not turn at all. After removing and reinstalling the reverse gear I put it back together and tested it this time (doh!) by using the driveshaft to make sure that the transmission turned freely while off the car. No problems. I reinstalled it and had everything back together. When I was attaching the trunnion strap on the rear u-joint, I noticed I couldn't turn the driveshaft again! I was stumped. I got in the car and depressed the clutch--then reached out and turned the rear wheel--no probs. So, in short, i could rotate the driveshaft when I depressed the clutch, but not otherwise. I then tried hooking up the linkages to see what kind of response I got out of the gear shifter. Shifted smoothly in and out of all gears except 4th. I decided that something was binding in the 4-speed section (which I did not touch). Since I didn't take it apart and it worked fine before I originally pulled the tranny, I suspected that something was binding as a result of all the moving around of the transmission during rebuild and reinstallation. Since I already had the C-beam on for the second time, and it is such a PITA to remove/reinstall I decided I would press. After completing everything, I depressed the clutch, crossed my fingers and started her up. No probs yet. Then I lightly started to release the clutch pedal. The resulting noise was kinda what I was hoping for--gear grindage like when you miss a gear or mis-shift. After the initial grindage no problems. I put it in neutral, released the parking brake, and the car went backwards! Stuck in reverse. I was definitely stumped. I jacked it back up and removed reinstalled the linkages. Thought maybe I might have had the reverse linkage on backwards--no such luck. After reinstalling the linkages in exactly the same position as they were, I tried again. The car worked. Not sure why. I know this isn't a direct answer to your question, but I thought if I related my story it might give a little insight. Some basic things to check...make sure all shifters are in neutral (you can use 1/4" wrench I think- to shift in and out of gear without the linkages hooked up). The 1-2 and 3-4 shifters are in neutral when they are vertical. I'm pretty sure that reverse is the same. You should be able to shift all gears in and out smoothly when everything is fine. If the transmission is in neutral you should be able to turn the driveshaft freely. If it turns when you step on the clutch but not otherwise, I would suspect the 4-speed (symptoms of my problem). If it doesn't turn at all with clutch depressed or not, I would suspect overdrive section. By the way, oil should not make a difference. I did all my troubleshooting without oil in either section. I didn't fill the transmissions up until just prior to starting. Didn't want to make a mess in case I had to pull them again.
Good Luck!
Phil
Old 09-14-2001, 11:36 AM
jmr302
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Crap! Where's neutral?! (vinny85)

Hmmmmm. I didn't try to roll the wheels with the clutch in--good idea to try. I was hoping it was just some strange problem that some heat and oil flow would fix. Sounds like that's all your trans needed. I should double check my linkage. Thanks again for the ideas Vinny.

I'll update this thread later tonight.
Old 09-15-2001, 02:22 AM
vinny85
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crap! Where's neutral?! (jmr302)

jmr,
Hope it works. Please keep me posted. Let me know how it goes. I'll rack my brain some more and see if I can't think of anything else that you could try. :confused:
Phil

Get notified of new replies

To Crap! Where's neutral?!

Quick Reply: Crap! Where's neutral?!