C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Exhaust question...

Old 09-15-2001, 10:14 PM
tikiltd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust question...

I looked at an 88 today. What does it mean when someone has removed the two catalytic converters at the front and has just straight pipes going from the front to the rear with 2 mufflers at the rear? What is the purpose of this? More throttle response or HP? It does sound throatier and more radical. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2001, 10:50 PM
importeater
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Exhaust question... (tikiltd)

actually i'm involved with a company that builds exhaust kits very similar to what you described. with the stock manifolds there's is a good hp gain of maybe 15hp across the range. what we do is use a 1-5/8" primary long tube header that dumps mid transmission, that & 2-1/2" dual pipes, on a stock motor a gain of 30hp or so is very common & close to 50hp with some intake manifold work. from what i've seen exhaust is one of the easiest & biggest hp gains for the L98 cars. intake & fuel pressure being the others without getting into the engine :chevy
Old 09-15-2001, 11:06 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Exhaust question... (importeater)

I agree in the benefit of some exhaust work, and intake work as well.

Check out my site to see results of similar exhaust system mods. Remember that each MPH in trap speed is about 10 hp gain.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust question...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust question...