C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Crossfire owners, an apology waits inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
This is my continuing question. What are tuners doing to correct this uneven fuel distribution?
I can answer that...
Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Not much. I ditched the restrictive "Swirl plates" under each of the TB's. That should have worsened a fuel distribution issue, but it didn't. My plugs read fine, and 24 mpg highway isn't bad w/a 400 CID small block.
I think the volume of that plenum (huge) does actually even out those fuel "pulses" you are talking about, so the net affect is a relatively decent mixture to the cylinders. Better than an electronically controlled carb at least.

CFI-EFI is right; this thread is awash in misinformation. The problem is people who post about CFI....who NEVER HAD IT! Readers of these threads need to sift through CFI OWNERS and CFI wild-assed-speculators. As an x-owner, it's easy for me to spot which is which, but of OPs it's probably much tougher.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 10-16-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:48 PM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, I have a new question. There is an Offy for sale with a top plate and TBs. I am thinking about getting it, but I have a question about it's compatibility with my heads. Remember that for now I am going to be using well ported 624 heads with 2.02/1.60s in it, 3 angle staniless valves, screw-in studs, and all the goodies. The cam is pretty aggressive with around 230/236 duration. Will the Offy actually be too big for this combination, or will I be able to run it with some tuning? I would think I can run the Offy with these heads and cam with the tuning choked down a bit, and then really open it up when I can afford to upgrade my heads later on. Any thoughts? Also, I know the Offy requires a smaller wiper motor, does it also require the smaller distributor, or is that just the SY1? Also, will it use my stock air cleaner?
Old 10-17-2006, 12:41 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
There is so much wrong with this post that the moderators ought to just delete it. First, a Crossfire manifold is NOT made from the same cast iron as bogus information's head. The Crossfire manifold is all aluminum.

"The basic architecture of the Xfire is" is a lot older than 20 years. Have you you forgot the DZ302? What about the picture you posted and mis-captioned?

More ignorance. A "Flying Toilet" IS fuel injection. It is not a "1 barrel carb"

Very unclear. The "454 TBI injectors" will fit into the Crossfire TBs. But because the 454 TBs are 2 barrels, they won't bolt onto the L83 intake manifold, in place of the 1 barrel TBs.

The fuel delivery isn't a problem with either system. Just ram an open fuel line into the intake and both will receive more fuel than they can handle.

I thought it was, "fuel delivery potential", as in the previous quote.

I don't dare say it never existed, but *I* never saw a Power Ram Inducted, 383. The ones we played with, way back when, were 413s. Have you forgotten the woeds to the song, Shut Down? It happened on the strip, where the road is wide...

RACE ON!!!
that pic was one I vadered off the web some time ago, the caption was put there by someone else. I simply post the image as a representation of the old Golden Ram 413s. You are correct, the Golden Ram intake was gone by the time the 383 engine came around. They did use a cross 4bbl intake on the Hemi, tho. I just saved the image... I will edit the caption out.

I found this image on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-M...rdZ1QQtcZphoto

The intake is aluminum? I woulda sworn it was iron... my bad.

I have read so much on 454 TBs fitting/not fitting, the last mental score was that they did...

I have no idea how the flying toilet became a carb... that is total and unmitigated crap on my part.

The DZ302 was carb'd... yes, it was a crossfire. What I was alluding to was the actual electronics of the TB system... not the design of the xfire. If I was commenting on xfire in general, that should have been clear by the fact I did post the picture.

In this case, air flow and fuel flow are mutually inclusive.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:49 AM
bogus
Team Owner

This page has some great DZ 302 pics:

http://www.chevconnection.com/cross%20ram.htm

The CFI intake:

Last edited by bogus; 10-17-2006 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:19 AM
JETSET
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecm

I have a 305 HP ECM for a 92 RS Camaro crossfire motor with standard 6 sp tranny if anyone needs it. It is kind of rare now.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:50 AM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JETSET
I have a 305 HP ECM for a 92 RS Camaro crossfire motor with standard 6 sp tranny if anyone needs it. It is kind of rare now.
Hmmm
Old 10-17-2006, 09:47 AM
elkabong
Pro

Originally Posted by JLeatherman
Ok, I have a new question. There is an Offy for sale with a top plate and TBs. I am thinking about getting it, but I have a question about it's compatibility with my heads. Remember that for now I am going to be using well ported 624 heads with 2.02/1.60s in it, 3 angle staniless valves, screw-in studs, and all the goodies. The cam is pretty aggressive with around 230/236 duration. Will the Offy actually be too big for this combination, or will I be able to run it with some tuning? I would think I can run the Offy with these heads and cam with the tuning choked down a bit, and then really open it up when I can afford to upgrade my heads later on. Any thoughts? Also, I know the Offy requires a smaller wiper motor, does it also require the smaller distributor, or is that just the SY1? Also, will it use my stock air cleaner?
To your point. The Offy will do will in my opinion and the stock air cleaner will work as well. I am not sure about wiper motor or the smaller distributor. Go back to the Crossfire Forum for those answers if you have not done so already. If I did not need emissions I would seriously consider a Offy or SY1 instead of the XRam.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:04 AM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

mmhmm. Madcow on the Xfire forum said with the heads only being able to flow like 230-240, the 304cfm of the Offy will make the car run like crap. Also, I'm tearing off the rest of my emissions stuff, why not take the EGR off too .
Old 10-17-2006, 10:19 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Ok, now you have done it... emissions... this is a sign of trouble... a red flag, so to speak.

Here goes nothing:

Modern emissions controls have more benefit than you realize. Sure, they control emissions, but they do so by allowing the engine to run nearly perfectly. No unnecessary richness, only necessary lean. In otherwords - EFFECIENTLY.

EGR controls NOx by keeping the combustion temps down. This is done by introducing a touch of exhaust gas. The other result? less detonation.

Modern, high-flow bullet style cats will cost you zippo in performance, but will do wonders for the various nasty exhaust smells. Personally, I have grown to hate that overly noxious emissions stench of a poorly tuned car. It's simply a waste of resources and blatent damage to our ground level air quality.

Don't leap off this cliff just because of some ignorant belief in self determination... emission controls are not the enemy... they really are our friend. And personally, I would like our air to stay breathable... especially when it only costs a couple hundred dollars and < 10 hp.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:42 AM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Ok, I'm gonna have to disagree on the emissions front. I've been fighting this one for a while now.

Originally Posted by bogus
EGR controls NOx by keeping the combustion temps down. This is done by introducing a touch of exhaust gas. The other result? less detonation.
EGR does reduce NOx with some exhaust gas, and yes, you may ping a little less. However, what is NOx a product of? Combustion temps. A perfectly tuned engine produces lots of NOx. I personally intend to keep exhaust in the exhaust manifold where it belongs, and tune my engine optimally without it. Also, on the Xfire car, EGR screws up the manifold flow, which could certainly adversely affect performance. I will not limit my choice of manifolds for the sake of an EGR valve.

Modern, high-flow bullet style cats will cost you zippo in performance, but will do wonders for the various nasty exhaust smells. Personally, I have grown to hate that overly noxious emissions stench of a poorly tuned car. It's simply a waste of resources and blatent damage to our ground level air quality.
High flow cats truly aren't any more restrictive than high flow mufflers, and probably don't hurt performance. However, what smell are you talking about because the smell I hate most is the sulphurous, rotten egg smell of a cold car with a catalytic converter. My truck (1966 chevy) doesn't have any emissions stuff, it is well tuned, and I love the smell of its exhaust at any temperature. My car won't be poorly tuned and will not be pumping unburned hydrocarbons into the air.

Don't leap off this cliff just because of some ignorant belief in self determination... emission controls are not the enemy... they really are our friend. And personally, I would like our air to stay breathable... especially when it only costs a couple hundred dollars and < 10 hp.
A couple hundred dollars? That would barely buy me the cats. Headers with AIR fittings are twice as expensive as non-emissions ones, and the only aftermarket manifold with EGR is the Xram. Not to mention, the government uses half this emissions stuff just to make more money. I just finished fighting my way through emissions 3 weeks ago right before the car came off the road. Emissions controls clutter my engine compartment, add complexity to an already unecessarily complex system, add weight, and are not going back on my car with the new motor. As a victim of the left-coasts' borderline obsessive emissions control laws I would have thought you would have grown to hate emissions controls more than most.

Anyway, I'm sure there are lots of different views on emissions here, and that is not what I'm trying to do with this thread. My car is getting street-rod tags, without emissions restrictions, before the next emissions test is due.

Last edited by JLeatherman; 10-17-2006 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:50 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

that pic was one I vadered off the web some time ago, the caption was put there by someone else.
Regardless of who wrote the caption, it is YOUR error if you post erroneous, and wrong, information. It is bad enough if you don't know, but you can't even plagiarize correctly.

The intake is aluminum? I woulda sworn it was iron... my bad.
Of course, your "bad". It is becoming more and more common. You often shoot you moth off with no idea of what you are talking about. Another prime example follows.

I have read so much on 454 TBs fitting/not fitting, the last mental score was that they did...
So rather than remain quiet on a subject, of which you are unsure, you choose to lead the unknowing into YOUR abyss of ignorance and irresponsibility.

Today, you speak of TBs. Your original gibberish said, "I am pretty sure the 454 TBI injectors will fit the CFI intake.". The injectors don't install into the manifold. They install into the TBs. It is the TBs that DON'T fit the Crossfire manifold. Your totally incorrect, improper, statement caused a somewhat lengthy correction.

I have no idea how the flying toilet became a carb... that is total and unmitigated crap on my part.
Crap, like most of the post. It wasn't one of your usual "misspeaks", either. You used the Flying Toilet as an example of how large carbs are only suitable for racing.

The DZ302 was carb'd... yes, it was a crossfire. What I was alluding to was the actual electronics of the TB system... not the design of the xfire.
It would have been easy to say that the first time around, if that is REALLY what you meant. You SAID, "Let me try this one on for you: The basic architecture of the Xfire is now 20+ years old.". The "basic architecture" of the Crossfire is feeding one bank of cylinders with air from above the opposite bank, where they CROSS. If you meant throttle body injection, or electronic fuel injection, you should have said so.

In this case, air flow and fuel flow are mutually inclusive.
That is pure hog wash. Air flow and fuel flow are mutually inclusive? MY fuel runs through a fuel line and is moved by a fuel pump. You can't include the air in there. In back to back sentences, you said, "It has much better fuel delivery potential, it just needs a better intake.

I hope this starts to help solve your problem here... Remember - it's all about the air flow!!!
". Which is it? As usual, it seems as though YOU have no clue, but that doesn't restrain you from posting garbage.

RACE ON!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by JLeatherman
My opinion is that the Offy would work "fine" if you can sort out the wiper motor. But it is also my opinion that w/that cam, and those heads, your manifold will not be a good match for the rest of your combo. It won't make the engine "run like crap" like "MADCOW" from the CFI forum said -I don't know who he is; he wasn't even on that forum when I used to be on there a lot. The bigger Offy intake MAY cause you to loose some low end torque w/those heads, but that's the worst case. It will RUN, fine if the tunning is decent.

But what have you got to lose by porting the stock intake? It won't cost you anything, and you could do a cool back-to-back of the ported CFI intake vs the Offy.

Again, if you were doing heads now, I'd say go w/the Offy, hands down. But with those heads, I think it'll be a wash, results wise.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:58 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

The other problem is that by the time you machine the heads and buy and install the 2.02/1.60 valves and port the cast IRON, you will have spent more time and effort than what it would cost for some good heads.

Also, back on the subject of the emissions hardware, most of what you say about the EGR is true, however, you are ignoring one important point. The power robbed by lowered combustion temps (heat IS horse power) is not a factor at WOT, when you are looking for max power. The EGR valve is never open at idle or at WOT. It would be a shame to have to dial your base timing back to 2° BTDC, and lose all the economy and power associated with such a move, in order to be able to cruise down the highway without the engine detonating is self to death in the process.

RACE ON!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 08:45 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
Regardless of who wrote the caption, it is YOUR error if you post erroneous, and wrong, information. It is bad enough if you don't know, but you can't even plagiarize correctly.

Of course, your "bad". It is becoming more and more common. You often shoot you moth off with no idea of what you are talking about. Another prime example follows.

So rather than remain quiet on a subject, of which you are unsure, you choose to lead the unknowing into YOUR abyss of ignorance and irresponsibility.

Today, you speak of TBs. Your original gibberish said, "I am pretty sure the 454 TBI injectors will fit the CFI intake.". The injectors don't install into the manifold. They install into the TBs. It is the TBs that DON'T fit the Crossfire manifold. Your totally incorrect, improper, statement caused a somewhat lengthy correction.

Crap, like most of the post. It wasn't one of your usual "misspeaks", either. You used the Flying Toilet as an example of how large carbs are only suitable for racing.

It would have been easy to say that the first time around, if that is REALLY what you meant. You SAID, "Let me try this one on for you: The basic architecture of the Xfire is now 20+ years old.". The "basic architecture" of the Crossfire is feeding one bank of cylinders with air from above the opposite bank, where they CROSS. If you meant throttle body injection, or electronic fuel injection, you should have said so.

That is pure hog wash. Air flow and fuel flow are mutually inclusive? MY fuel runs through a fuel line and is moved by a fuel pump. You can't include the air in there. In back to back sentences, you said, "It has much better fuel delivery potential, it just needs a better intake.

I hope this starts to help solve your problem here... Remember - it's all about the air flow!!!
". Which is it? As usual, it seems as though YOU have no clue, but that doesn't restrain you from posting garbage.

RACE ON!!!
you know something, I appologize and all you do is bury me in it deeper.

I am done trying to communicate with you, ok? I try to be nice, I try to be accepting, and you keep treating me like a first grader. I made some mistakes based on poor info (which I admitted to) and you STILL won't leave it or accept it. There is a part of you that just revels in making me look stupid... I don't understand it... I don't get it... just make your comments and leave it at that. I don't need commentary, ok? I feel I have to walk on eggshells around you, and I don't like it. It's as if every little phrase, word or statement is graded and analysed for error... if the word choice is just a little off, that's enough for a flame.

Oh, as far as air flow and fuel flow being mutually inclusive - it's because they share the same space inside the manifold. If you were not such an absolutist you might have figured out what I meant... but instead, you had to rub my nose in it.

That's it... I am done...

Last edited by bogus; 10-17-2006 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:03 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

I can answer that...

I think the volume of that plenum (huge) does actually even out those fuel "pulses" you are talking about, so the net affect is a relatively decent mixture to the cylinders. Better than an electronically controlled carb at least.

CFI-EFI is right; this thread is awash in misinformation. The problem is people who post about CFI....who NEVER HAD IT! Readers of these threads need to sift through CFI OWNERS and CFI wild-assed-speculators. As an x-owner, it's easy for me to spot which is which, but of OPs it's probably much tougher.
I still disagree that there is a decent fuel distribution in the manifold, despite whatever the plenum size is. I dug out McLellan's book (Corvette from the Inside), and on page 80 he himself comments on the poor fuel distribution.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

That says little to nothing about fuel distribution. Carbon build up in teh exhaust port could easily and more likely be a result of oil burning...especially in an old stock engine............

-Tom
It wasn't oil, and it wasn't an old engine at the time. As I mentioned in a previous post, even Dave Mclellan agreed that the "manifold gave such poor cylinder distribution that we had to compensate with extra fuel".
Old 10-17-2006, 10:49 PM
CAPTAIN COMMANDO
Advanced

The fuel distribution on my 84' looks bad at 144,xxx miles when I check the plugs every 3 months. But it runs 14.4's and its almost stock. It passes california smog just fine for its age and mileage.

144k on a stock long block engine with a ported stock intake and it passes california smog. It must burn properly for it to pass even with its poor distribution. The plugs always read different but it passes fine

I'd say keep the stock piece,work with it and port it,if you don't like it,put a carb on it. I haven't heard anyone from the crossfire forum that a Offy/SY1 has given positive results. Only stock intakes and X-rams seem to work with tuning or not.

Get notified of new replies

To Crossfire owners, an apology waits inside

Old 10-17-2006, 11:07 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
It wasn't oil, and it wasn't an old engine at the time. As I mentioned in a previous post, even Dave Mclellan agreed that the "manifold gave such poor cylinder distribution that we had to compensate with extra fuel".

The question is WHY was the fuel distribution poor. Some of us are using another manifold with an adapter on top. Some of us have decided to optimize the Xfire. CFI has ported the heck out of his with good results. I decided to address Xfire "problems" including:
1. Different size injectors
2. A shallow plenum
3. Mismatched intake/head ports
4. Poor a/f mixture path
5. Lousy casting
6. Slow ECM
Bruce Plecan first modded a Xfire in the mid 90's. He ran a 13.4 using street tires, an auto, and 3.23 gears.
Putting all this together, you'd wonder what engineer (i.e. Dave McLellan) would design a manifold like this, especially engineers that are supposed to be building one of the best sports cars on the planet.
The Xfire was obviously a compromise. But the fundamental design is not the as bad as its execution.
BTW, who hasn't seen a SBC where #8 didn't run richer than the other cylinders?
Old 10-17-2006, 11:39 PM
LS6 Motor
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This was interesting thread, it ended up right where I thought it would. This should have been locked two pages ago!
Old 10-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by KODAVETTE
This was interesting thread, it ended up right where I thought it would. This should have been locked two pages ago!
It's only one page for me

You know what I like best about being a moderator?

I can post a pic and lock the thread and leave the rest of you guessing.

Anybody know what manifolds the attached pics are?
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Crossfire owners, an apology waits inside