C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Paging PeteK... or other transmission gurus

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 07:40 PM
hz900
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Paging PeteK... or other transmission gurus

In reference to this thread

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1517900

I did some reading in the Helms manual and after checking everything else I determined that most likely it was the 1-2 shift valve in the valve body causing the trans not to shift out of first. I dropped the valve body and was just taking a look at it and comparing it to the diagram in the manual and noticed something. All of the other valves, when I stuck a small screwdriver in and tried to move them, had spring action to them and sprung back into place after being depressed.... except the 1-2 shift valve, it stayed where it was at after I depressed it. According to the manual this valve has a spring in it as well just like the others. Could this be the problem and how do I fix it. I took the roll pin out to try to remove the valve from the valve body, but I can't figure out how to get it out, and even if I did, I don't know what is the proper way to clean/fix it.

Any advice is appreciated. My mechanic friend is moving shops this weekend and is already backed up with paying customers on top of that.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

There are 2 different 1-2 shift valve arrangements used. In both cases, the are in a solid sleeve. The sleeve must be removed to access the valve assembly. Valve body must come down to pull the roll pin to disassemble the valvetrain. Have a look at the gasket just above the valve body. It should have the letter v on it. If you see a c, you found the problem.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:20 PM
hz900
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete K
There are 2 different 1-2 shift valve arrangements used. In both cases, the are in a solid sleeve. The sleeve must be removed to access the valve assembly. Valve body must come down to pull the roll pin to disassemble the valvetrain. Have a look at the gasket just above the valve body. It should have the letter v on it. If you see a c, you found the problem.

Going to look at the gasket in the morning. As far as the valve body goes it is off the car and the pin has been removed...... what next, how do I remove the sleeve?
Old 10-14-2006, 10:16 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a combination of small picks and small screwdrivers that I use to gently and carefully pry the sleeves out. Another trick is to spray them with brakekleen. It breaks the hydraulic suction that holds them tight, allowing them to slide right out.

Get notified of new replies

To Paging PeteK... or other transmission gurus

Quick Reply: Paging PeteK... or other transmission gurus