C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HUD for C4's now available - Drag racers & autocrossers look inside!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2001, 10:46 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Default HUD for C4's now available - Drag racers & autocrossers look inside!

I had a friend send me this link the other day. There are 2 different systems costing $195 & $230.

There is a shift-light function....all kinds of nice features. The Sport VSD has some interesting drag racing features....Mackey will be interested in this.

Go to http://www.defi-shop.com/vsd2/vsdframe.htm for the $195 VSDII and http://www.defi-shop.com/sports/spotsfrm.htm for the billy bad boy Sports VSD $230 one.

The tach is good for up to 9000RPM :eek:
Old 09-18-2001, 11:40 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

I've seen these in the new LPE catalog..... I don't think I'd like something sitting on my dash pad though.
Old 09-18-2001, 01:22 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Default Re: (scorp508)

I'd get a shop to build a cover that fit in the depression on the dash and cover it with the same dashpad material.

This thing is less than 1" thick and only 3 1/2" wide. You would barely notice it.

I'd love to see speed & tach on the windscreen...especially in an autocross situation. Since I don't drag race that much, some of the features wouldn't get used much.

I've always been a little jealous of those C5 guys :lol:
Old 09-18-2001, 03:40 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Re: (Joe90)

That could prove real helpfull at the track.
Old 09-18-2001, 03:59 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Default Re: (BrianCunningham)

We're on the same wavelength.....I thought there might be some interest.
Old 09-18-2001, 10:51 PM
tempest
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: HUD for C4's now available - Drag racers & autocrossers look inside! (Joe90)

thanks for the reference. i used to drive a Grand Prix GTP with a HUD, and even for a non-racer like me it makes it MUCH easier to watch your speed AND for cops at once!!!
Old 09-19-2001, 05:58 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Default Re: HUD for C4's now available - Drag racers & autocrossers look inside! (tempest)

Am I supposed to read into that statement you actually BREAK the LAW? :lol:

I've driven a C5 with the HUD, and it is much easier since you don't have to look down every 20-30 seconds (if you follow your drivers ed. course). Now if they would only expand it to hook up to the oil pressure, temperature, voltage & fuel gauge they'd have a very impressive product. Heck, you already have to cut into the harness....what's another 4 wires?
Old 09-19-2001, 06:50 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Default Re: HUD for C4's now available - Drag racers & autocrossers look inside! (Joe90)

I has got to get me one of these :D :D :D :D

Does anyone have it installed? How does it fair in full sun light?

Flame Red
Old 09-19-2001, 08:43 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

YES, VERY :cool:
Old 09-20-2001, 12:10 AM
Hutch
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh great... just one more toy I now feel I MUST have!

Thanks for the link. It looks pretty cool. I'd want some kind of custom mounting, though.
Old 09-20-2001, 01:16 AM
A
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HUD for C4's now available - Drag racers & autocrossers look inside! (Flame Red)

[QUOTE]How does it fair in full sun light?[QUOTE]

Very good point!
Old 09-20-2001, 10:31 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Default Re: HUD for C4's now available - Drag racers & autocrossers look inside! (A)

I sent a note off to them inquiring about further upgrades to this system.

They have no plans to add more functionality. They are the suppliers for the HUD on the C5 and some of GM's other vehicles....I don't understand why that should be a factor in upgrading them though.

They are supposed to do very well in bright sunlight, but that will be one of those things that one of us will have to try out first to see.
Old 09-20-2001, 06:53 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Okay, there has to me somebody out there that is brave enough to order one of these and see how it works in direct sun light :blueangel:

Hmm, LPE carries it, but how about somebody with a liberal return policy - like Eckler's or MAD?

I have a long list of mods that I'm working on and tapped out with. Come on - somebody besides myself has got to be itching :smash:

I'm no C5 expert my any means but I thought the C5 system had something special embeeded in the windshield? So it's not just that they slap this on the C5, right?

Flame Red
Old 09-20-2001, 07:01 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Default Re: HUD for C4's now available - Drag racers & autocrossers look inside! (Flame Red)

If you looked into the pages on this HUD, it shows there are two pieces of film (they actually give you a spare) to put on the inside of the wind screen.

That is probably the same thing that is embedded inside the C5 wind screen. The real difference is the other engine things that the C5 picks up.

I want to get one, but the 427 is getting all of my money right now....
Old 09-20-2001, 07:18 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Joe,

What's their e-mail? I want to specifically ask them if they will guarentee this unit works in our cars :confused: Don't want to be stuck with something that is a worthless POS because the forgot to mention it won't work on ....

It seems like the ship it directly from Japan. They mention custom duties but don't say how much. They listed one American distributer, need to find out if they stock it.

Flame Red
Old 09-21-2001, 10:50 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

The email address is defishop [defishop@nippon-seiki.co.jp].

As far as I could see (by reading the documentation they had on the site) it works on any vehicle with a 12v electrical system and a computer controlling engine functions.

They are very responsive...I sent my email off and had a response the next morning (remember they are +13 hrs ahead of Central time).
Old 09-22-2001, 12:36 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Well which one of those 2 systems would you choose?
seems you lose something with either one.

The VSDII:
is the only one that displays speed in MPH. The light bar IMHO is JUNK! I would only want to use it as a shift light if anything.

The sport VSD:
has the tach set up decent enough to some what read (questionable, no numbers), yet the speedo display is only in Kilometers (no MPH). Whats nice is the other features, and the shift lights, but who knows where the RPMS are exactly with that display???

Seems to me the ideal set up for americans would be the VSDII with a MPH display, and a tach bar with some numbers.

And if they did do the C5 HUD, thier VSD stuff looks like crap in comparison based on the points I mentioned, yet I will still consider getting one, just waiting to hear from someone on this forum who says it works well in the sun.

Joe, as far as mounting it in a nice cover etc, I dont know how nice you can get it too look, seems to me the unit has to be angled to get a proper reflection off the window. I have been playing with digital gauges to see if I could get them to reflect off the window as well (poor mans HUD), thats when I noticed things need to be angled correctly. problem with the gauges is I need some sort of polorized film to get rid of the ghost images in the windsheild (it produces 3 images that you project, making the display very blurry), SO I need film like the defi system has.

[Modified by bill mcdonald, 10:39 PM 9/21/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To HUD for C4's now available - Drag racers & autocrossers look inside!

Old 09-22-2001, 01:14 PM
tempest
Burning Brakes

Default Re: HUD for C4's now available - Drag racers & autocrossers look inside! (bill mcdonald)

...And if they did do the C5 HUD, thier VSD stuff looks like crap in comparison based on the points I mentioned...
i believe Delphi did the C5 (and any other GM) HUD. a HUGE amount of investment went into that product, so it'd better darn be good. there are some downsides with the GM stock HUD. one, it requires a special windshield to eliminate "double vision" of the image, which also adds weight to the windshield. this is probably why the 2001 Z06 does not have one. two, it is still still susceptible to direct sunlight "wash out," but from a direct source, i heard that this can only happen only a few days out of the year, twice a year. (must be the angle of the sun or something.) three, the HUD requires a lot of real estate in the dash, which vehicle designers just HATE.
Old 09-22-2001, 02:23 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Default Re: HUD for C4's now available - Drag racers & autocrossers look inside! (bill mcdonald)

Bill,

Good catch. I did not notice that the sport display only showed KPH not MPH! IMHO - forget about it :sad:

Knew it was true good to be true.

It seems their web site is down, guess they got the virus :lol:

I'll e-mail them about that too. Maybe there is some hope.

Thanks,

Flame Red
Old 09-24-2001, 10:27 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Default Re: HUD for C4's now available - Drag racers & autocrossers look inside! (tempest)

All I know is, this is the email I recieved from them..

"Thank you for your interest in our products.

We are extremely sorry to inform you that we don't have any plans to expand the Sports V.S.D. as you mentioned.

As you may know or not, we supply GM's model with our Head Up Display technology. So now we have still been researching for further development.

Please keep your interest in our technology as well as our Defi products from now and on.

It clearly states that they supply GM with a HUD...for which model it doesn't say.

Sometimes you guys can be SO picky....this is an aftermarket HUD designed to be retrofitted into a car that never came with one in the first place. For christ's sake, the damn thing only costs $200!!! What do you expect for that amount of money? I'm sure someone could make one that mimicked what is in the C5, but would you be willing to shell out thousands to get that feature?

I just report what I find.

Quick Reply: HUD for C4's now available - Drag racers & autocrossers look inside!