C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 10:56 PM
morphious
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (65Z01)

Just installed the Corsa system myself, and for me it could be louder but for price, fittment, look, and eez of install I think it is the way to go. :cheers:

[Modified by morphious, 9:00 PM 9/20/2001]
Old 09-20-2001, 11:52 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (gs633)

Hutch,

did you say your girlfriend's name is "randy"? You might be looking for another "forum"!!! :D :D :jester
Old 09-21-2001, 12:41 AM
Hutch
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (Greenwnv)

Hutch,

did you say your girlfriend's name is "randy"? You might be looking for another "forum"!!! :D :D :jester
Hey! If you keep teasing me like that I'm gonna take you out with my purse!!! ;)

Yeh, maybe that was a poor choice of words given THIS crowd, eh? :D

-Hutch-
hutch@hashmarks.com
Old 09-21-2001, 01:39 AM
jkingsbury
Advanced

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (ROADRACER_)

I put the Corsa system on my LT4 about 2 months ago. The quality is excellent, the price was competitive, the system is beautiful to look at. It seemed to be a perfect fit, but I did take it to a muffler shop to install. But, it is quite heavy, it didn't seem to add any power, and it is too quiet for my tastes. There is NO resonance period anywhere in the rev range. There is also not much enjoyable sound either. I'm a bit disappointed. Something else that surprised me was that two of the four exhaust tips are non-functional. They are blocked off. That surprised me a bit. Over time, this means that one of the two tips in each pair turns bluish with heat etc. and the other one stays shiny. Just my 2 cents. :confused:
Old 09-21-2001, 09:33 AM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (jkingsbury)

I have heard a few people saying this also. Some of them I have talked to say the same thing, they say it's not much better than stock except at wide-open throttle. As far as horsepower gains they say it’s virtually none. It’s just like a cosmetic upgrade.
Old 09-21-2001, 02:56 PM
ric'sblack86
Instructor

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (SPEEDEMON)

A high performance exhaust with a stock air filter/intake system will only give you 5-10 hp gain. An engine is just a big air pump and you have to open it up at both ends to get the gains. With a performance air filter and exhaust you should get 20-25 hp gain. :chevy
Old 09-21-2001, 09:43 PM
morphious
Race Director

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (ric'sblack86)

Anyone have a Corsa system that has made it louder. Love everything about my system except wish I could get a little more decibles out of it. Any ideas on modifing a modified Corsa exhaust would be apriceiated.
Old 09-22-2001, 03:42 AM
jkingsbury
Advanced

In addition to the Corsa, I have a K&N, open lid, removed screen from MAF and Ed Wright has reprogrammed the computer. These should open up the front end to let it breathe. BUT, the addition of the CORSA still didn't seem to add power or increased sound. I still seem to get as much engine noise as I do exhaust noise. My 4 cents.
Old 09-22-2001, 09:15 AM
LEADFOOT_
Instructor

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (jkingsbury)

I have a friend that has the Corsa system on his 95 Vette. As far as sound it’s no better than stock only at WOT as mention by speedemon. Hell his “stock” Mustang GT sounds better with the factory exhaust that the Vette. If you looking for sound DON’T get the Corsa, you’ll be disappointed!
Old 09-22-2001, 01:35 PM
Raysur
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want pure performance, Borla has the highest flow of any competitive product based on flow bench measurements.
I don't think there is another muffler on earth that flows better than Magnaflows:yesnod:.

You guys would be shocked to hear these mufflers. They have a great sound and they don't resonate. If you want free flow you need a straight flow path. My vote for Magnaflow. :smash:

[Modified by Raysur, 9:40 AM 9/22/2001]
Old 09-22-2001, 10:07 PM
morphious
Race Director

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (Raysur)

Just sent Corsa an e-mail about sound. Hope to hear something by Monday, and will keep you posted if interested. I love everything about it, but would like to also hear it not just look at it. :flag
Old 09-23-2001, 05:54 PM
ZR WON
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (morphious)

Morph:

Anyone have a Corsa system that has made it louder. Love everything about my system except wish I could get a little more decibles out of it. Any ideas on modifing a modified Corsa exhaust would be apriceiated.

My thoughts on fixing Corsa's? Throw them in the trash and get Flowmasers or B&B Tri-Flos. I wouldn't buy a Corsa system if it jumped out of the box and installed itself. If you are looking for *power*, with *no* other variables(like resonance, even the new system has some, although not too bad) Tri-Flos can't be beat. I picked up almost 8rwhp on a Dynojet 248C over the Flowmasters(from 377 to 384.5rwhp SAE Corrected). They have a very 'gnarly' sound(for lack of a better word) and those 3" sewer pipes look damn mean from the back.

Personally, if it wasn't for my staining problem on the rear fascia due to the way the Flowmaster exhaust exits(white car), I'd still have them on the car. An LT5 hooked up to full-length headers and Flowmasters have a sound that cannot be duplicated with any other system. The added power of the Tri-Flos, as well as the adjustability to get them away from the rear fascia is what sold me on them.

Brian A.
90 ZR-1
"ZR WON"
384.5rwhp SAE corrected
"in the 11s"

Old 09-23-2001, 10:47 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (ROADRACER_)

i drove evildeeds 2000 C5 , :D and he has the corsa exhaust! the coolest thing about this is that at 50 MPH, with the windows up, air off, and radio off, the only noise i heard was tire noise from the road.....however on WOT, this system SCREAMS, sounds like a pro-stock car or something......scares the poop out of peole under bridges....all in all i would have to say i am going with Corsa when i get ready to switch! :yesnod:

[Modified by 85_togo, 8:38 PM 9/23/2001]
Old 09-23-2001, 11:42 PM
Hutch
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (85_togo)

Please... do not try to draw comparisons from any C5 exhaust to the C4. Even though they are both pushrod motors, they make entirely different sounds due to engine differences and exhaust layouts.

Just because you like the sound of one brand on a C5, don't automatically assume you would like the same brand on a C4. Caveat Emptor!
Old 09-23-2001, 11:46 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (morphious)

hey morph..... http://www.corsaperf.com/cfflash.html
this has 4 sound clips of a corsa exhaust on i think a camaro, on the dyno, this should give you a good idea what this system sounds like. :cheers:

here is the C5 http://www.corsaperf.com/realsounds.htm

looks like no sounds for the C4....they must be less than impressed or they probably would have put clips like the other cars?!?!?!

[Modified by 85_togo, 8:52 PM 9/23/2001]
Old 09-24-2001, 12:01 AM
korvetkeith
Melting Slicks

Mufflers are for wussies :lol:
SPEEDEMON I'm gonna steal your car, OK? :D
Why do wustangs sound so good?
Old 09-24-2001, 01:08 AM
ROADRACER_
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This topic we’re talking is based on C4’s not on C5’s.

Thanks to all that has responded. As the information I have done research on exhaust systems I think the B&B Tri-Flo’s are the best system for my use. I see that a lot of you like the Corsa because it looks good and it’s quiet and produces no noise under normal driving, only at wide-open throttle. As I said from the start of my topic, noise is not a factor. I do respect all those that like that, but for me I’m not spending the money on an exhaust system that only looks good with no power gains nor no better sound. The issue here is to putting on an aftermarket system is to get a better sound and the most power out of my engine, not to look good and to sound like a dead horse only except at wide open throttle. I want it sound good and alive as soon as I turn the key over, not like a dead horse where it only comes alive when I have to whip it to sound good only at wide open throttle. Remember I’m driving a performance machine. If I want something quiet I would be driving a Lincoln or a Lexus.

As for the Power Effects I don’t think I’m interested in those either. I’m not into stopping and jumping out of the car and getting under it to tune it and open a valve or so to get more sound or performance. That’s almost like being on the bottle and having to open the valve to turn it on every time you need it. I don’t know much as far as horsepower gains on this system.

The Borlas I do hear good things about them. But haven’t done any real extensive research on them yet. I know they have been around for a long time, they and Flowmasters were one of the first real performance exhaust system to hit the market. I have seen a test, which a B&B system up against a Borlas system on a ZR-1 and the B&B came out ahead by a few horsepower. The Flowmasters I have heard some unfavorable comments on their aluminized steel finish. Seems to me most of the high horsepower cars have used B&B Tri-Flo on them.

I thank everyone for their comments and preferences of systems. I'm sure you all have your own preference and reasons on which exhaust system you have chosen. That’s good that we have a variety to choose from.

Get notified of new replies

To What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have?

Old 09-24-2001, 05:11 PM
VMAX451
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (ZR WON)

My thoughts on fixing Corsa's? Throw them in the trash and get Flowmasers or B&B Tri-Flos. I wouldn't buy a Corsa system if it jumped out of the box and installed itself. If you are looking for *power*, with *no* other variables(like resonance, even the new system has some, although not too bad) Tri-Flos can't be beat. I picked up almost 8rwhp
Do you have dyno's of corsa vs. tri-flow to back this up? I'm not denying it, but I do remember someone a while back did a stock vs. corsa dyno comparison on a C4 and picked up 14rwhp. In any case, for $800+ for either system, I wouldn't make hp gains a deciding factor.
Old 09-24-2001, 09:02 PM
ZR WON
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (Vince Ivanc)

Vince:
The only test I've seen on Corsa's is the person that volunteered their ZR-1 for Corsa to develop a system. The car produced 322rwhp stock. After the addition of the Corsa exhaust it put out 325rwhp. This is adjusted to SAE in both cases. I've also 'heard' of people claiming huge gains with Corsa's over stock but in my personal experience and seeing a lot(100+) of ZR-1s being dynoed on a 248C machine, I've not seen those gains.
Old 09-24-2001, 09:39 PM
VMAX451
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (ZR WON)

Wow, a whole 3hp :(. This explains why they don't claim any power increases. If their flow increase claim is true, then it sounds like the stock cat back is not a restriction in stock engine trim. GM did good with those 2.75" pipes, just sounds too boring .

Quick Reply: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have?