C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 09:50 PM
ZR WON
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (Vince Ivanc)

Vince
Keep in mind that the 90-92 exhaust wasn't *really* 2.75 all the way.. It necked down to 1.75" at the inlet and outlet of the resonator. 93 and up exhausts didn't have that bottleneck. I still don't know why GM did that, who knows...
Old 09-24-2001, 10:10 PM
VMAX451
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (ZR WON)

My '92's necked down from 2.75 to 2.5 at the resonator. Also necked down at the muffler, don't remember how far though, thought it was even smaller there but didn't measure. Strange indeed.
Old 09-24-2001, 11:48 PM
Jedi404
Racer

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (morphious)

Hey, what do you guys think of the Flowmaster mufflers that add like 30hp of something like that? A guy at my performance shop said he could get a cat back Borla system for like 469, is that any good? Thanks!
Old 09-24-2001, 11:55 PM
ZR WON
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (Jedi404)

Jedi:
It's BS! Flows will give 7-9rwhp w/chip. Borlas are 5-7rwhp w/ chip. Don't believe muffler manufacturers claims... 469 sounds like a good deal though. You can get Flowmasters from Jegs at 533...
Old 09-25-2001, 12:01 AM
Jedi404
Racer

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (morphious)

How much would I gain with some Heddman Headers, a high-flow cat, and Borla exhaust, JET chip, 1.6 roller rockers, ram air, intake runners, a new cam, and some rhoads lifters? Thanks for all your help!
Old 09-25-2001, 12:04 AM
Hutch
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (Jedi404)

Hey, what do you guys think of the Flowmaster mufflers that add like 30hp of something like that?
Might as well add 4 of them for a 60 HP gain! Don't believe the :bs ads.

A new cat-back Borla system for $469 is a very good price. A little too good, actually. But make sure that's really the system you want. A lot of folks suffer severe resonance with the Borlas but it might not bother you.
Old 09-25-2001, 11:59 PM
MJ
Pro

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (gs633)

:nono:we try to get the best sound possible without resonanceBorlas? Without resonance??? In a C4????? Oh, please. Stop it! You're killing me!!!

I know that I'm late but but better late than never. I'm with Hutch on the resonance thing. I have run Borlas, Corsas, Flowmasters, Dynomaxs and a bunch of other exhaust system on my C-4s (all in my shop like dinosaurs) thru the years and the Borlas made more resonance than any other exhaust. God help you if you dont run a cat or have long tube headers. I mean the kind of resonance that makes you rub your ears when you get out of your car. (disclaimer- Auto trans car here) Back in the day, 16 years ago the Borla C-4 system was as good as it got. But now, sheesh, just compare the welds and finish on the mufflers to a corsa or a B&B. And the quality of the LT-1 tip? Shame,shame, resting on their laurels I think. If you want an awesome sound and don't care how loud it is get Corsas system and gut the cats. Louder you say? Install headers. You won't believe your ears. The Corsa doesn't use sound absorbing material to quiet the exhaust down. It uses a noise cancelation type tuning system, so you'll throw the sound out of wack. It pops and crackles like a top fuel car. And you can look right thru the exhaust if you wanted to.(yeah I know you can do it with Borlas to) and by the way both tips are functional. Look down the outside tip and you'll see the cut out. I might also add that the Corsa exhaust showed a reduction in e.t. of .098 on 3 runs after the install. I didn't show any reduction when I ran Borlas, back in the day. I have dyno numbers too but they are clouded by other mods. (Besides, dyno numbers don't mean a thing at the track, and we aren't Supra drivers! sorr 2-tyte:D) I can no longer run the Corsas though. My 396 makes too much noise thru them. I thought about the B&Bs but after reading Hoovers write up un them in the review section I changed my mind. I need some sound control over here.
Sorry for the rant....I just don't like it when a vendor talks down other systems with nothing but hype. Don't even get Mackey or Panuzzo started!
Old 09-26-2001, 01:08 AM
Hutch
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (MJ)

And Aloha to you, Mike. Brings back memories of my days in the Corvette Club of Hawaii back in '75 - '79. Of course, I was just a BABY then, mind you.

I agree, its kind of a shame about Borla's stuff. Quality just doesn't seem to be up to snuff anymore. Maybe they are concentrating more on ricers, now. <shudder> :U

And while I really like my PowerEffects system as a true performance exhaust, one has to be honest and recognize the build quality and value of the Corsa cat-back. If I was to buy an aftermarket exhaust for the wife's convert, the Corsa is the one I would go for on that car. And yep, I concur that the Corsa's do improve power on an otherwise stock engine. That's been proven frequently by my dyno guys, Vinci Hi-Performance in Orlando.

I just don't like it when a vendor talks down other systems with nothing but hype
Better stay out of the "six speed short shifter" topic area, then! :D

Old 09-26-2001, 11:53 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Default Re: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have? (MJ)

HEY MJ,

you stated you need different exhaust to replace the Corsa.. Are you looking to sell the Corsa system?

Quick Reply: What Exhaust System Would You Like to Have?