C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

86 Vats Keeping Me Out

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 12:57 AM
PMARTINEZ92126
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 86 Vats Keeping Me Out

I replaced the heater core on my 86 automatic and by doing so i ripped out the entire dash!! I disconnected alot of stuff with the battery disconnected. I intalled the computer and the instrument cluster then reconnected the computer. I then put a small two volt charge on the battery because it was dead from sitting for weeks. The car still wouldnt turn over and I saw the Security light flashing even after i took the key out. Im assumming I tripped the computer but I installed a VATS bypass unit i bought off of Ecklers or some vette website. I waited for about half hour and it wouldnt turn over. Then waited an hour. still no luck. The gauges light up and the fuel pump pressurizes but it wont turn over. I see no Check engine light on but maybe that only goes on after car is started...maybe..i dont know. Did i forget an important plug or something? Anyway to test to see what it is? I have my factory manual but i cant seem to find a troubleshooting for VATS. I also have both door panels off and i noticed a small black wire on the passenger side door panel broken off. I think it comes from the window wiper. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!
Old 11-20-2006, 01:35 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

http://www.joestradingpost.com/vats/

That should have everything you need to know about early VATS.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:59 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I think on the 86 and up,the vats module is located behind the famous bread box dash piece on the passenger side..is this hooked up or did you forget to plug it in?
Old 11-20-2006, 07:02 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Paul,
We're going to need more info. Bill has a very good point. Depending on what you mean by "i ripped out the entire dash", it could be that the VATS Module is not connected or the Start Enable Relay behind the Driver Information Center is not installed. The VATS Bypass only bypasses the Key, Ignition Cylinder Contacts and the wiring from the Contacts down the Column to the connecter where the Bypass is installed. The VATS Module still needs to be connected. The Security Light is for the Alarm System and will flash anytime a door is opened and ignition off without arming the alarm. It is not connected to your VATS, forget about it. The "small two volt charge on the battery" is worrying. I'd charge it overnight or try a fully charged battery. Do you hear a click from the Start Enable Relay when trying to start?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:56 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

http://members.shaw.ca/agent86/Vats%20Electrical.pdf
Old 11-20-2006, 09:32 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

another good reference and repair: http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/index.shtml
Old 11-20-2006, 11:17 AM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

the ONLY thing your Ecklers "vats bypass" does is eliminate the lock cylinder portion of the system. There are still the Start Enable Relay and the fuel injector pulse in the computer.

If it won't even crank, Check the start enable relay next. Its a simple bypass if you want to test it. The module is like $12, or a free fix if you just clip two wires and connect them together.

This is what was bad on mine about 6 months after I bypassed the lock.

Last edited by GIJoe; 11-20-2006 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:18 AM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by bogus
http://www.joestradingpost.com/vats/

That should have everything you need to know about early VATS.

I think im going to get a domain just for that thing heh. vatssucks.com or something would ring a nice bell
Old 11-20-2006, 02:08 PM
PMARTINEZ92126
Racer

I modified the starter relay behind the dash and the car started right up!! Thanks for the help!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 86 Vats Keeping Me Out

Quick Reply: 86 Vats Keeping Me Out