C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1991 Steering Column Loose

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 04:52 PM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Default 1991 Steering Column Loose

Has anyone run into looseness in the steering column for a 1991? I'm thinking the column is pretty much the same for all C4s? What I mean is when I grab the steering wheel and put top, bottom and side to side pressure on it, there is a lot of play in it. It wiggles about an 1/2 inch. I've gone into the column to make sure the 4 bolts that are usually suspect with GM cars were tight and tightened them more but that did not solve the problem. Seems like the shaft? Has anyone experienced this? Looks like there are 3 sections to the shaft according to the GM service manual. If so, what part of the shaft would most likely be the problem?
Old 11-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Arlon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 86 has the same issue. Sounds about exactly as you described. No clue yet why, but it surely does wiggle around a lot... Hope someone can come up with a fix. They'll be helping two of us. Arlon
Old 11-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

i have something less than 1/8" (total) vertical play in my 85. i spoke to a guy last week with a 91, and he indicated around 1/4" vertical play in his column. whats the fix - ???. looking at the parts diagram, well, it looks like a lot of work to rebuild...
Old 11-27-2006, 10:29 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I've got a lot of play as well.

My thought is that since we are buried down in the cockpit so far we all use the steering wheel as leverage to haul our rear ends up and out?
Old 11-27-2006, 10:37 PM
DavesC4
Instructor

haha, im with you guys too. Lousy freakin steering column or something is falling apart on me:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1559633
Old 11-28-2006, 07:59 AM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I talked to my parts friend that works for one of the Chvrolet dealership and another friend that works @ a Corvette salvage yard and they both said they have heard of this quite a bit. The dealership guy thinks it way down on the last leg of the wheel and the part he's thinking is discontinued.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Vetracr
Pro

The pins and or the housing for the tilt mechanism is probably shot. This is a common problem for Corvette and GM steering columns in general. Search the forum for how to repair.

Larry
Old 11-28-2006, 04:43 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetracr
The pins and or the housing for the tilt mechanism is probably shot. This is a common problem for Corvette and GM steering columns in general. Search the forum for how to repair.

Larry
Larry is correct, usually its not the pins, but the housing itself. From what I hear, its an aluminum housing with steel bolts/pins going thru it. The holes for the housing get elongated causing the play.

While in my opinion its a design defect (that which our model corvettes have a lot of), the problem develops from overweight/mobility impaired people using the steering wheel as a lever to get over the high door sills on the C4.

Disassembling the column looks like a PITA. Although some gearheads on here have documented it.

I think the housing usually costs a few hundred bucks. So this is assuming you do the labor yourself, you are out a few hundred no matter what.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:45 PM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Sounds reasonable but my housing is only a couple of years old. I just went in last weekend to check housing, pins and 4 bolts further down the column that are usually suspect of a loose GM column. All seem ok. However, whenever the shaft moves really freely in, out and side to side with the housing off. It moves about 1/2-3/4 inch with the column fully assembled.

Get notified of new replies

To 1991 Steering Column Loose

Quick Reply: 1991 Steering Column Loose