C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hugh Oil Problem - I Really Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 09:42 AM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hugh Oil Problem - I Really Need Help

Would you mind giving me your opinion on a problem I’m having with my 84’ Vette (87’ Engine).

About 4 months ago I went to start it up one Sunday morning and when it fired up about 2 quarts of oil shot out of the oil filter gasket. I let her sit filled up the oil and all was well..well after that ,I sometimes get lifter clatter when first started but it goes away after a few minutes even with 60 psi oil pressure at idle. (I put new lifters in right after this occurance) Well,yesterday I went for a ride approx 30 miles and when I returned home I noticed the oil pressure was 9-10 psi and the check engine light was on (because of the low pressure it cuts off the fuel pump)

I then stopped it and tried to re-start and it naturally it wouldn’t. I looked under the car and oil was seeping out around the Oil Filter gasket.I tried to tighten it but it only turned about a ¼” max.I let it sit a couple hours and I started it and it was OK with 50- 60 psi pressure. I drove it home after work and when I got in my drive way again was low oil pressure.I looked under the car and a little oil was leaking out from the filter again. I called my local mechanic and he suggested it could be the Oil filter By-Pass valve sticking.

I called my engine builder and he dis-agrees and said it sounds like the oil pump relief valve sticking partially open when it gets hot. I Remind you it , is fine when driven 15 -30 minutes. Now my lifters have been quite for over a week now but this morning they clattered for a few minutes.Grump,I’m really perplexed. Can you suggest what might be wrong.????

Thanx for your help.

Dennis

Mandeville,La
Old 11-30-2006, 10:04 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CAJUN C4
I noticed the oil pressure was 9-10 psi and the check engine light was on (because of the low pressure it cuts off the fuel pump)
That isn't how it works. If the fuel pump quit running because of low oil pressure, you have a defective fuel pump relay.

RACE ON!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 10:13 AM
wro87
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your filter, in the past I have seen the gasket stay up in place and when the new filter is on it would leak. You also might have a pinched gasket on the present filter. Good luck wro87
Old 11-30-2006, 10:18 AM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default oil

Dennis, throw away that oil filter!!!!!!!!
the gasket is bad. or... worse, there's 2 gaskets in place.
Do you have the water-oil filter installed on the left side under the oil filter? That gasket is known for leaking.
Chevrolet no longer sells that gasket for it, and you have to get it from an auto parts store that sells fel-pro gaskets.
the problem you have with the clattering lifters is the gaping hole in the oil filter gasket lets the oil drain back into your oil pan, and when you start it back up, it has to suck the oil all the way back up to the lifter gallery because your engine has no oil in it.
Do it right, change the oil filter, change the cooler o-ring, put new oil in it,and let it warm up at home, don't drive it tilll u are sure the problem is fixed.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:21 AM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The warning light in my '85 for the oil pressure doesn't come on until 5psi. What was the code you pulled from the check engine light being on?
Old 11-30-2006, 04:50 PM
lefoy84
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAJUN C4
) Well,yesterday I went for a ride approx 30 miles and when I returned home I noticed the oil pressure was 9-10 psi and the check engine light was on (because of the low pressure it cuts off the fuel pump)
Where did this myth get started?
Old 11-30-2006, 08:10 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Which one? The fuel pump quiting because of low oil pressure? That is a very common misconception around here. I try to correct it whenever I see it.

I missed the "the oil pressure was 9-10 psi and the check engine light was on" comment. Of course one has nothing to do with the other. I simply took it for the low oil pressure light, which is NOT what it says.

RACE ON!!!
Old 12-04-2006, 04:49 PM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
Which one? The fuel pump quiting because of low oil pressure? That is a very common misconception around here. I try to correct it whenever I see it.

I missed the "the oil pressure was 9-10 psi and the check engine light was on" comment. Of course one has nothing to do with the other. I simply took it for the low oil pressure light, which is NOT what it says.

RACE ON!!!
Sorry Guys...That's what happened. right before I stopped it the Check Engine Light was on and there was low oil pressure.9-10 normally 20- 25.I stoped it and immidiatly tried to start it and I spun but wouldn't fire. I did it about 3 times.I let it sit for a while and it cranked up.I was told that the ECM won't allow it to start with low pressure.I did change the filter yesterday to a Mobil 1.Seems to be better.I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:19 PM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Who is Hugh Oil and why is he a problem??
Old 12-04-2006, 10:55 PM
BigDR
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dat Funny.

Get notified of new replies

To Hugh Oil Problem - I Really Need Help

Quick Reply: Hugh Oil Problem - I Really Need Help