C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Frozen Clutch on AC Compressor - Repairable or Replace Entire Compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2001, 08:22 PM
Ed Ut
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frozen Clutch on AC Compressor - Repairable or Replace Entire Compressor?

I don't have any experience with compressors or their ability to be repaired. Is this something (frozen clutch) that is normally repaired or do they normally replace the entire compressor? From the looks of the compressor it looks like it wouldn't be too difficult to replace as it is readily accessible. Of course I would have to have it recharged at an ac shop. Thanks for your comments/recommendations
Old 09-25-2001, 08:58 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Default Re: Frozen Clutch on AC Compressor - Repairable or Replace Entire Compressor? (Ed Ut)

Jeff Kopp (18carfan) emailed me about a clutch service kit from GM. I think it was $188 for my '90. This is for the nippondenso compressor. I guess that it is serviceable.... I don't know how much a compressor would be at the parts stores.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:03 PM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Default Re: Frozen Clutch on AC Compressor - Repairable or Replace Entire Compressor? (Ed Ut)

The clutch is repairable but some special tools are required. The last time I did one on a non Vette it took about an hour or so to change it out.
Old 09-26-2001, 02:25 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Frozen Clutch on AC Compressor - Repairable or Replace Entire Compressor? (96GrandSport)

Fairly easy to do. First make sure that it's only the clutch and not a seized compressor. Put a 10mm socket on the center bolt just inside the center of the clutch and attempt to turn the compressor shaft. It should turn rather easily and if so, the compressor is okay. If not, the compressor is seized and needs to be replaced. To remove the clutch, you can buy a a clutch holding tool (to keep it from spinning while you undo the bolt) or instead, oil filter pliers work quite well. There are three components to the clutch: The pressure plate or outer most part; the pulley or middle; and the coil which is closest to the compressor, but under the pulley. Place a shop cloth over the pulley and then clinch it with the pliers (or use the special tool to hold it) and remove the center, 10mm bolt. The pressure plate should come right off. The pressure plate has a short shaft, inside of which are some shims. New plates come with new shims, you just want to be sure that none are left behind. Next, remove the pulley which is held on with a snap ring. It too, once the snap ring is removed, should come right off. If not, gently tap it with a plastic hammer. Finally, remove the coil which is also held on with a snap ring. Installation is reversal of these procedures. The key is to correctly set the air gap between the pressure plate and the pulley. This is done with the shims included with the new clutch assembly. For best performance, shim to a clearance of .02 in +/- .006. A final note, you can get a clutch assembly from most auto parts stores, but they do not match the factory appearance, and reliability (from what I've read) is suspect. I've found the best price, for the factory piece at The Last Detail or http://www.tld-corvette.com

Get notified of new replies

To Frozen Clutch on AC Compressor - Repairable or Replace Entire Compressor?

Quick Reply: Frozen Clutch on AC Compressor - Repairable or Replace Entire Compressor?