C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Steering wheel halfway disassembled: questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 06:18 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Default Steering wheel halfway disassembled: questions

1985 Corvette specific question

Steering wheel is off, turn signal and wiring is out of housing, ignition lock and key warning buzzer are off also, I'm stuck on the pivot pins. Is there another method for removing the pivot pins besides using tool# J21854-01 a.k.a. pivot pin remover?

Each side of the steering column has threaded holes for what looks like a tiny screw. The shop manual says:

1. Reinstall tilt lever and place column in full "UP" position.
2. Remove tilt spring and pivot pins

Then there's a picture of a wrench being used on the side of the housing and for the tilt spring removal, there's a drawing of a screwdriver pressing down the top of the spring retainer. Now, my question is, how far down do you press the spring and how do you get it out? I pushed on it pretty good and it seemed like it traveled a half inch and then it can't be depressed anymore.

Anyone who has taken their steering column apart I'd appreciate the advice. Hope there's another method to remove the pivot pins without a remover tool, don't know if GM even makes the part anymore.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:22 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I usually just thread a bolt into the pin and pull them out with a pliers. Just take the pressure off and the pins should slide right out. If you're doing this because of play in the column, check the pins and hub for wear. If you want, you can pm me and you can call me.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:42 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by zr1fred
I usually just thread a bolt into the pin and pull them out with a pliers. Just take the pressure off and the pins should slide right out. If you're doing this because of play in the column, check the pins and hub for wear. If you want, you can pm me and you can call me.

pm sent.

I'm tearing down the column completely because the steering wheel was covered with rust where you attach the wheel puller so who knows what other crud was in there that needed cleaning/refreshing.

Whoever owned this car before me apparently attempted to remove the telescopic steering lever on the wheel but you first have to get the tiny screw off which keeps that flower shaped nut from backing off. The tiny screw was so old and rusted that it was rounded out when I saw it so I had to drill it out.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:37 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

If you can get your hands on a Riv-Nut installation tool, these will also remove the Pivot pins you are referring to.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Simply thread the tool into the pivot pin (as you would into a riv-nut) and squeeze the tool to remove the pivot pins. This tool can frequently be found at most good auto parts stores, particularly those with machine shops.

Years ago I fabricated a tool just to do this job.

I got a couple of "hardened" Allen head cap-screws that threaded into the pivot pin. They should be longer than necessary to bottom out in the pivot pin. Stack some washers (a 1/4" drive socket of the right length will also probably work) over the pivot pin so the pin will fit through the center of the washers as it pulls out. Top them off with one strong washer with a small center hole and tighten the Allen cap-screw down hand tight. Be sure the washers are still positioned to clear the pivot pin and using an Allen wrench, begin to turn the cap-screw. (be sure to lubricate the threads well) The pin will begin to pull clear. Stack additional washers if you need to to pull it all of the way out.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 12-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Thrak
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to spray mine w/ some wd-40 and let it soak, then I had to press REALLY hard on it while using needle nose pliers to force it to slide..

once you get it going, it pops off pretty easily...

Get notified of new replies

To Steering wheel halfway disassembled: questions

Quick Reply: Steering wheel halfway disassembled: questions