C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What's the best way to remove hard water spots from windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 07:14 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Default What's the best way to remove hard water spots from windshield?

I have tried very hot water and vinegar, it worked OK, but not great.
Anyone found anything good and easy?
Old 12-14-2006, 07:28 PM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
I have tried very hot water and vinegar, it worked OK, but not great.
Anyone found anything good and easy?
...ck your pm's...
Old 12-14-2006, 07:42 PM
All2kool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Mail Man
...ck your pm's...
I'd like to know this too - please share your solution.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

stand on the edge of your front bumper and take a huge wizz.....
Old 12-14-2006, 09:06 PM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since we're talking about optics, no matter how hard or how long I wash/clean the glass, in sunlight there is still an embedded "haze" or film and lots of little blemishes.
At one point the aftermarket was offering a polishing stone(???) in the shape of a cup that you put into a cordless drill like a drill bit. Not sure if a compound was used in conjuction. not sure where to look for that.

Any advice appreciated.
(tried microfiber towels....they helped somewhat)
Old 12-14-2006, 09:21 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try borax - it's marketed as 20 mule team - cheap $2 for 4lbs
Old 12-14-2006, 09:35 PM
VetteVet86
Instructor

I took mine to a detail shop a few weeks ago and asked about removal of water spots on my glass. They told me they could get rid of them for $40.00, so I let them have at it. They did it with some kind of polish (all I was able to see on the container was "D3") and an orbital buffer. Took them about 45 minutes to do all four pieces of glass and they all look factory fresh now. Well worth the $$$ as far as I am concerned. My glass was getting really bad.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:07 PM
BILLY D
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very Easy. Try Bon Ami. Cost about 2 dollars in ShopRite. Wet the windsheild, wet a sponge and put some Bon Ami on it, then wet the sponge some more so the Bon Ami disolves into it, wash windshield and rinse throughly. You will be amazed, all the water spots will be gone. Dry windsheild, then spray on windex or my favroite "Stoners window cleaner" and wipe dry with news paper. Thats right! News Paper. There will be no streaks and your windshield will never look better. Total cost 2 bucks. My daughters Camaro had water spots so bad I even tried Clay, nothing worked like Bon Ami and News Paper. Try it and thank me later.

Billy...
Old 12-14-2006, 10:13 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BILLY D
Very Easy. Try Bon Ami. Cost about 2 dollars in ShopRite. Wet the windsheild, wet a sponge and put some Bon Ami on it, then wet the sponge some more so the Bon Ami disolves into it, wash windshield and rinse throughly. You will be amazed, all the water spots will be gone. Dry windsheild, then spray on windex or my favroite "Stoners window cleaner" and wipe dry with news paper. Thats right! News Paper. There will be no streaks and your windshield will never look better. Total cost 2 bucks. My daughters Camaro had water spots so bad I even tried Clay, nothing worked like Bon Ami and News Paper. Try it and thank me later.

Billy...
Thats the stuff ... couldnt rememebr the name
Old 12-14-2006, 10:57 PM
500hp
Burning Brakes

Location: It's more of a 'town'. Iowa (we make E85 here--Oh yes, you are welcome!)

Someone makes a special compound (for glass) in a white and green sqeeze bottle, not sure of the name (its buried out in my garage somewhere). It may or may not be available at the auto parts stores, but I got my bottle from a guy who does professional window tinting. It seems to be very mild, and requires a few applications and lots of "elbow grease" to remove stubborn water spots.
Although these "home remedys" sound like they would probably work, as well.
I can find the product's name/maker if you want to try and track it down.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:00 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Wow,didnt know Bon Ami could do it...I used to simply use extra fine 000 steel wool and with glass cleaner,would get the glass looking great.
Alot of washing and scrubbing/elbow grease work though,but used to work well.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:14 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90
How do you think I got the spots in the first place?!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 11:23 PM
Photomania
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts

I tried a product called Invisible Glass, and this made the problem worse. The windshield on my 1990 coupe may be the original windshield. It looks so bad from the driver's seat on a sunny day that I wish I could replace the windshield. Mine looks like it has thousands of micro-pits.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:15 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Maas Polishing Cream - online or often at Harley Dealers. Actually seems better on plastics, glass and ceramics (tile) than metals (use the crap out of it in the bathroom and fiberglass spa - So.CA water is as bad as it comes). Filtz is good too - harder to find - usually hawked at County Fairs - but it doesn't have any abrasives so it's more labor intensive. Use a paper towel with Filtz; Cloth with Maas or apply either with a 6 inch orbital buffer and a cloth pad. Caveat - if the windshield is pitted, forget it - you're just going to fill up the pits with the stuff and that will definitely make it worse (and neither is any good for automotive clears - they sometimes have to be wetsanded and buffed - particularly if you leave your car next to someone's sprinkler out here).
Old 12-15-2006, 01:16 AM
87vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90
Old 12-15-2006, 07:09 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

I use Windex to clean it and Rainex to seal itl.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Jerry9202
Intermediate

Default Cleaning Glass

Amway makes a powdered chrome and glass cleaner that comes in a can--similar to Bon-Ami. You wet a spounge and rub it in the powder, then scrub off the road film/water spots. One can will last a lifetime. Using the newspaper with a glass cleaner at each wash will help keep the road film off.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the best way to remove hard water spots from windshield?

Old 12-15-2006, 09:40 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

...i used "barkeepers friend" cleanser (same as bon-ami)....many years ago, i needed to remove rain-x from my windshield and could not do it...i contacted the company and they said that the only stuff that will remove rain-x from the windshield was bon-ami cleanser which does not scratch glass or fiberglass....

..recently, since i could not find bon-ami, located the product i have mentioned as since it is basicly the same stuff, i bought and used it...i wet the glass and sprinkled the cleanser over the entire glass surface...then, using one of the "abrasive" sponges for doing dishes (the type that is sponge on one side and a mild abrasive surface on the other), worked the cleanser into a light "paste" and let it sit on the glass for a few minutes...

...then i sparingly wet the sponge and started rubbing (with the abrasive side of the sponge) rather hard on the areas that had water marks as a test area.....i immediately hosed it off while rubbing with the sponge side and it removed better then 90% of all the marks..i repeated the process over the entire windshield when i was sure that no damage would occur..... it removed all of the hard water marks that would not come off with gas, alcohol, all window cleaners, etc. that i have used...then, i re-applied rain-x as sort of a preventative measure to complete the job...

Last edited by Da Mail Man; 12-15-2006 at 01:11 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar
The following users liked this post:
RalfKramden (05-22-2018)
Old 12-15-2006, 10:28 AM
wro87
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Bon ami is the trick might want to get a polishing pad that fits in a drill and use lots of water. Saves the elbow and time. Rain-x only way to go to seal it and help with removal later.

wro87
Old 12-15-2006, 10:58 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wro87
The Bon ami is the trick might want to get a polishing pad that fits in a drill and use lots of water. Saves the elbow and time. Rain-x only way to go to seal it and help with removal later.

wro87

...not much elbow grease at all..i prefer to do it by hand as i can "feel" and better control the pressure on the glass.....total time about 15 min...
The following users liked this post:
RalfKramden (05-22-2018)

Quick Reply: What's the best way to remove hard water spots from windshield?