C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

9 Inch Ford Solid Rear Axle Conversion for C4

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 02:03 PM
IHRA221
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish some one told me that the c4 was not a good platform, we have two and have been at it for 15 years. My two cents is add a crossmember and a turbo 400 trans then proceed w/ the 12 bolt.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:01 PM
NitrousSam
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IHRA221
I wish some one told me that the c4 was not a good platform, we have two and have been at it for 15 years. My two cents is add a crossmember and a turbo 400 trans then proceed w/ the 12 bolt.
Do you have photos of your car online that the forum members could view?

NitrousSam
Old 12-30-2006, 03:04 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

This is my favorite thread on this site. I will never make the power to need a soild axle under my car but I love following along as you guys do this and figure out ways to do it easier.
Keep up the good work.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Bruce Witherspoon
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IHRA221
Not sure why the T400 but I agree with the 12 bolt. I've run a T200 for 5 years with not problems and much less lbs.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:22 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Sam,
If I could throw one other variable in the pot to consider, and that is the cross brace on the verts.
But, if you can put together a kit that will work on my car in the $3,000 range, Im in!!
Again, please consider the street aspect of the kit, such as already mentioned emergency brake, and hopefully being able to save the anti-lock sensors as well.
Oh, and I really liked the idea of selling the kit without the 3rd member. For alot of us, stock 9in will be plenty, and in my case, I have a good friend who will install the ring and pinion etc. for free.
And again, thanks for trying to put something together for us.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:49 PM
rlane5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have any tried to measure a C4 rear from rotor to rotor? I came up with 62" with the rotors on did any come up with something different?
Old 01-01-2007, 09:10 AM
yedister
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rlane5
Have any tried to measure a C4 rear from rotor to rotor? I came up with 62" with the rotors on did any come up with something different?
62" wide hub to hub with discs brakes on, 37 1/4" between batwing mounting bolts, 44 1/2" between trailing arm mounting bracket bolts
http://www.hpsalvage.com/Correar.htm
yedi
Old 01-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Fubar569
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am doing by duty and taking this up

excellent investigative work guys...i WANT a solid axle for peace of mind, however i guess it depends on how much i plan on beating on the car
Old 01-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Bowtie8
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ski_dwn_it
John

was looking at your photos last night that redl98 forwarded me. yeah the torque arm you used was pretty slick...

I too have been trying to get as many ideas from previous setups as possible to come up with a hybrid of sorts for my project. That torque arm does look pretty complicated and would cost pretty much to incorporate.

I don't mind running a crossmember for the trans in my car...either inside and down or underneath like neverlift did...my car is not lowered and the roads around here are pretty decent + my trans pan already sits pretty low with the aftermarket pan on it..which the brace would be behind that and at about the same height.

I too do not want to cut up my car..so I am going to go with the stock locations, and try to move them inward as much as possible to gain as much clearance as possible.

If you don't mind I would like to call and chat with you about your setup...what time would be good?

Thanks for sharing the photos!
Ski

So whats the plan?
I was under my car today looking at all the room behind the solid axle for some 67mm turbos. You ever consider a rear mounted turbo assemble? Sure is the easiest way to get into the 1200HP range without rebuilding the front end of the C4.

John
Old 01-28-2007, 10:40 PM
rlane5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well after $3200 ( for rear w/disc brakes and coilover shocks, panhard bar, control arms and metal for crossmember) and 10 hours (600 miles) round trip of driving, I finally pick up my ford 9" today. I made a crossmember for it and I'll start on the rear fabrication soon, I will try to post some pic as I go along.
Randy,
Old 06-11-2017, 10:51 PM
John Kyko
6th Gear

Default Rear end

Originally Posted by NitrousSam
How many of you would be interested in buying a bolt in 9 inch Ford rear end kit and still be able to use your factory rear brakes? The idea is something that I am very serious about and I have discussed in detail with my fabricator. We are both surprised that no one has done a direct bolt in kit. The challege with some of the 9 inch conversions we have seen is that they are truly not a direct bolt in rear and the fabrication/labor costs to make the conversion is pretty high.

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

NitrousSam
i would love it
Old 06-18-2017, 08:51 PM
yedister
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by John Kyko
i would love it
It hasn't happen. There is a 12 Bolt that instead. I have one

https://www.streetshopinc.com/transm...ferential.html
Old 03-27-2021, 10:02 AM
Denny James
4th Gear

Originally Posted by NitrousSam
How many of you would be interested in buying a bolt in 9 inch Ford rear end kit and still be able to use your factory rear brakes? The idea is something that I am very serious about and I have discussed in detail with my fabricator. We are both surprised that no one has done a direct bolt in kit. The challege with some of the 9 inch conversions we have seen is that they are truly not a direct bolt in rear and the fabrication/labor costs to make the conversion is pretty high.

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

NitrousSam
I am very interested as are
Many others. If people had a way to reasonably race the c4 , you would see more builds. Ive built a 730 hp drag race car with a dana44 in it , no hopes of twin sequential turbos till i can find a reasonble way to solid axle the car. Please email me dennyjames777@gmail.com. would love to get this movin.

Quick Reply: 9 Inch Ford Solid Rear Axle Conversion for C4