C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone running the denso iridium plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 02:54 AM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Anyone running the denso iridium plugs?

I've heard that they can help with spark blowout. Anyone use them? I'm running champions right now but am thinking of changing them out.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:57 AM
Mekanic
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by qwiketz
I've heard that they can help with spark blowout. Anyone use them? I'm running champions right now but am thinking of changing them out.
I run NGK Iridium on my DD and my truck, and plan on putting them in the vette next weekend. They're about half the price of Denso.

I like the, a lot on those apps, although neither are FI, I could feel some SOTP in the truck, may have just been new plugs and wires but who knows.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:27 AM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

NGK iridiums here too...

Mo
Old 12-04-2006, 08:42 AM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I worked at a company over the summer that builds airplanes. They had some of the Denso Iridium plugs and they are an amazing plug. THey are superbly made and definitely run a hotter spark. However, I'm not really sure if they would help you with your spark blowing out. What gap and boost are you running that your plugs are getting blown out? The Denso plugs are very expensive ($30/plug for some applications) so you may want to try cheaer options first.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:53 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

I'm currently running champions gapped at right around .035. I could tighten them up a bit, but then again, I heard the denso's are a great plug and might consider swapping them out. The denso's have that .4mm tip which is supposed to be more resistant to blow out since the spark is more focused on a smaller area. My car's hp is peaking at 4400rpm according to datamaster. With a centrifugal and good heads, something is definately up which is why I suspect blowout. I'm currently running 10psi, but that's going to change to about 14lbs real soon.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:58 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried 3 different plugs, autolite 106's, NGK TR6, and NGK TR7ix (iridiums) at 20+ psi gapped at .028" the iridiums never missed a lick and held up to very rich tuning conditions without fouling.. I am SOLD on iridiums even given their high price tag of about $9 per plug.. they will outlast the std plugs available and are happy with boost unlike the platinums! I imagine the Denso Iridiums in the same heat range will do just as well!

Chris
Old 12-04-2006, 04:33 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

I run Denso's in my car and truck with great success. Also, the truck is running 15lbs of boost.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:27 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Chris, do you have the part number that you're running for the plugs?
Old 12-07-2006, 04:47 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I use iridium plugs in all my LSx car and truck applications. In fact in some instances I will see misfire counts if I substitute an iridium (factory fill) for a standard type plug. Off all the weird spark plug gimmicks, the fine wire iridium plug design actually works.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:12 PM
vettetwinturbo
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had the last SBC TT in my Vette making 750+ RWHP at 28psi we had some problems w/sprk blowout at high RPM (--along w/a multitude of other tech problems!) Right now I run Denso Iridiums in my 2JZ making 800+ RWHP at 22-30psi. Never had a problem with spark blow out by narrowing the gap slightly. Only downfall is a very small loss of power (maybe 5 hp in mt app). Plan on using them in my new Dart Little M SBC TT package as soon as I get it into my Vette.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:03 AM
BAM92
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by qwiketz
Chris, do you have the part number that you're running for the plugs?
Old 12-27-2006, 01:00 PM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm running AFR heads so mine requires the gasket type.

I'm running BKR7EIX stock number 2667

If you go to www.NGK.com they have a cross reference... Also look into the NGK411 area it is helpful to understand the plug number break down. They also show the "NGK" numbering system.

The only difference in the plg would / should be that you may be using taper rather than gasket.

Hope this helps..

MO

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone running the denso iridium plugs?

Quick Reply: Anyone running the denso iridium plugs?