C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Oil change...Opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 08:28 PM
Kool88vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 86GoldProject
Switching to synthetic on a high mileage engine can cause leaks and cause things to get plugged up with sludge, this is because the synthetic actually cleans too well and starts unsticking buildup that may already be in the engine sometimes causing it to plug up other things like oil pump pickup screan, oil filters etc. It doesn't exactly cause leaks, it just allowed leaks that were already there to leak better due to the cleaning away of the sludge thats plugging them up and slowing/stopping the leak. There are many different opinions on this topic. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to switch to synthetic on a high mileage engine provided its been well maintained and isn't a sludge bucket, the only problem is its hard to know for sure unless you're the one who put all those miles on it and knows how it was maintained

Last edited by Kool88vette; 12-30-2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Kool88vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B!@cK 86 V3tt3
True there is no need for it but I have heard synthetic last logner in heat than does the dino. Thats the main reason im doing it. Also it has detergents which will hlep out any dried seals?
I would stick with the dino and change it often. About every 3,000 should do it and I would use 10w30.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:40 PM
86GoldProject
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True there is no need for synthetic oils in most applications, hell even cars that come filled with it from the factory could get by on dino oil, however there are many benefits to using synthetic over regular dino oil, among them is the superior ability to flow in cold weather conditions compared to petrolium based oils, reduced friction due to smaller molecules than that of pertrolium based oils which equates to longer engine life and better economy(also the reason they tend to leak easier and appear to cause more oil consumption) and even a little more power due to the reduced friction, superior cleaning properties, and they can be changed at a longer interval (although I'd personally change it at the normal 3k). These reasons alone are good enough for me. You can appreciate the benefits of synthetics if you've ever torn down an engine which was properly maintained with synthetic oil and compared it to an engine of similar mileage that was properly maintained with petrolium based lubricant. The difference in wear on the two is something to be seen.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:42 PM
B!@cK 86 V3tt3
Pro

Originally Posted by 86GoldProject
True there is no need for synthetic oils in most applications, hell even cars that come filled with it from the factory could get by on dino oil, however there are many benefits to using synthetic over regular dino oil, among them is the superior ability to flow in cold weather conditions compared to petrolium based oils, reduced friction due to smaller molecules than that of pertrolium based oils which equates to longer engine life and better economy(also the reason they tend to leak easier and appear to cause more oil consumption) and even a little more power due to the reduced friction, superior cleaning properties, and they can be changed at a longer interval (although I'd personally change it at the normal 3k). These reasons alone are good enough for me. You can appreciate the benefits of synthetics if you've ever torn down an engine which was properly maintained with synthetic oil and compared it to an engine of similar mileage that was properly maintained with petrolium based lubricant. The difference in wear on the two is something to be seen.

The price is not important. Whats a few bux now then later down the road could save me from a engine rebuild. Id rather be safe and spend a little than be sorry sitting on the side of the road and be spending a couple grand....JMO
Old 12-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Race Prepared
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Oil Change

Yep, use the Mobil One 10w - 40w with a Fram filter or whatever brand you like!
Old 12-30-2006, 10:04 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

My 95 has 220,505 miles on it. The previous owner always ran synthetic in it. She ran it hot one day and the head gasket let go. It sat for about 11 months before I bought it and pulled the engine. The crank, rods, and pistons all checked within factory tolerances. There was no rust in the block at all even though the engine had water in the oil for 11 months. Inside the engine was pretty clean, no sludge at all. I have always been a fan of synthetics and certainly am after seeing the results.

As far as switching a high mileage vehicle to synthetics goes...I switched my 96 Tahoe to synthetic at 185k miles a few months after I bought it. I used the owners manual recommended 5w30 weight. Never had a problem with it, no leaks, nothing. Switching to synthetic will not cause harm to an engine.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:06 PM
B!@cK 86 V3tt3
Pro

If there is gunk in there its coming out. If it leaks, it will eventually seal itself back up. Id rather clean the gunk out and have it leak then seal it up with old oil....Thanks for the responses.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:44 PM
Warp8
Instructor

True there is no need for it but I have heard synthetic last logner in heat than does the dino. Thats the main reason im doing it. Also it has detergents which will hlep out any dried seals?

Old 12-31-2006, 12:02 AM
B!@cK 86 V3tt3
Pro

Originally Posted by Warp8
Whats the "*****" for? I was going by what I have read on here. Not confirming the info. Just kind of asking/stating...
Old 12-31-2006, 01:24 AM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For the Pennzoil....I used this brand 5w-30 in a 03 Grand Prix GT bought new. This was the only brand I used throughout 55,000 miles until I sold it recently. After the factory 36,000 mile warranty ran out. About 43,000 miles, I started noticing a oil leak down the rear of the engine block. Never found were it was coming from and would have probably had to pull the motor to see. From now on, Pennzoil will not go into my engines. Just thought I would share my troubles.

Not sure if it was a coincedence or just bad luck.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:20 AM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Race Prepared
Yep, use the Mobil One 10w - 40w with a Fram filter or whatever brand you like!
You can make your own fram filter by wadding up some TP at a Quick Trip.

PureOne or regular Purolator is what I'd recommend.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:26 AM
serge
Racer

Location: Olympia Washington 91 Z07 Coupe, 6spd, Borla Exhaust, Perf. Ignition, K&N Filter

sorry to but in on this one, but if you have any small oil leaks the synthetic might not be a good idea, it works great, but on older engines with more weart on seals and gaskets it might find its way to the outside, im using a synthetic blend for now just so i can see how that holds up, but if your motor is pretty tight the mobile 1 is the best out there is my opinion
Old 12-31-2006, 05:11 AM
B!@cK 86 V3tt3
Pro

Originally Posted by RRT vette
For the Pennzoil....I used this brand 5w-30 in a 03 Grand Prix GT bought new. This was the only brand I used throughout 55,000 miles until I sold it recently. After the factory 36,000 mile warranty ran out. About 43,000 miles, I started noticing a oil leak down the rear of the engine block. Never found were it was coming from and would have probably had to pull the motor to see. From now on, Pennzoil will not go into my engines. Just thought I would share my troubles.

Not sure if it was a coincedence or just bad luck.
Thats strange. I have a SMALL leak on the valve covers. The gaskets were replaced not too long ago as were the valve covers. If I tighten the bolts anymore itll crack and break. Guess I wont use synthetic then. Ill see what mobil one does.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:44 AM
Z51L9889
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run synthetics (Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec) exclusively in all of my vehicles for about the last 20 years. I've never had an oil related issue, leaking or otherwise. I use an oil change interval of 9000 miles or once a year, whichever comes first.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:10 AM
B!@cK 86 V3tt3
Pro

Originally Posted by Z51L9889
I have run synthetics (Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec) exclusively in all of my vehicles for about the last 20 years. I've never had an oil related issue, leaking or otherwise. I use an oil change interval of 9000 miles or once a year, whichever comes first.
9,000??? That is not a good idea.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:35 AM
nyernga
Drifting

From everything I've read here and given the age of our Vettes, the one common denominator is what oil was used from the start. It would be nice if we all knew who the original owners were and what they used. That being said however, I bought my 88 5 years ago with 60K on the clock. One of the first things I did was change all the fluids using 5w/30 mobil1 synthetic. I am now at 117K and have yet to see any spots on the garage floor.

Mobil1 for me with either a purolator or AC delco filter and every 3000 miles. I've been known to reschedule dental appts around my oil changes....
Old 12-31-2006, 09:43 AM
LTxDave
Safety Car

9,000??? That is not a good idea.
9000 is fine if you've got a good clean engine with synthetic. Its probably fine for much more than that really. Read up on it, you'll be surprised.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil change...Opinion?

Old 12-31-2006, 09:53 AM
B!@cK 86 V3tt3
Pro

My dad says 3,000. Like I said hes "old fashioned" Yea, it would be nice to get to talk too the previous owners. Find out everything about it, what was done, how hard it was driven.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:59 AM
LTxDave
Safety Car

3000 is good for conventional oil. Changing synthetic at 3000 miles of normal use is wasting money.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:27 PM
B!@cK 86 V3tt3
Pro

Originally Posted by nyernga1

I've been known to reschedule dental appts around my oil changes....

Quick Reply: Oil change...Opinion?