C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How do I go about running a true dual exhaust system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 04:34 AM
gregm999
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How do I go about running a true dual exhaust system?

I bought my 85 vette one year ago and the car has been running great ever since. The car is now in storage but I am already planning my next mod for the spring, which will be a true dual exhaust system. Last spring I replaced the cat with a straight pipe. However, when I bought the car, the exhaust from the cat back to the mufflers was rusted and rotted to hell. Eventually, both of the mufflers literally rotted off of the rear y pipe and were hanging from the hanger! The rest of the y pipe is also rusted almost through and is not suitable to be used any longer.

So I figure as long as I'm replacing the exhaust from the cat back, and I had also planned on getting headers, I may as well just replace the entire exhaust. So what do I need to do to run a dual system from the headers to the back of the car? No emissions control or mufflers are necessary. So basically what I'll be doing is removing the entire exhaust, including the exhaust manifold, and than start the new system by installing the new headers. Where do I go from there?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:11 AM
tomtom72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'19, '21-'22-'23-'24

I think that B & B, Corsa, and Borla make systems with X pipes that you can put where the resonator was. Maybe even the less expensive mfg's like Magnaflow and Dynomax and even I think Corvette Central sells "chambered" systems. I know I've seen kits that you can weld up your own configuration. The kits come with pipe sections; straight & mandrel bent sections.

I don't know what to tell you about headers, sorry no experience there. I know that most people say to get the headers coated, Jet Hot or SwainTech? You may want to consider that heat shielding, Dyna-mat(??) it looks like alum foil with a dense core for the heat transfer to the passenger tub. Some guys say to use heat wrap on the entire system also.

You might want to find other C4 owners with different systems & give a listen. I would think that without a resonator the system would be loud and might have bad resonance at certain rpm's.

Tom
Old 01-09-2007, 08:07 AM
wro87
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We went with a set of long tube headers with jet hot coating from MELROSE. Ordered the complete set no cats, no air, x-pipe, and thinking of using some chambered exhaust eliminators the install was not bad. Did have a isssue with the x-brace under the car put worked that out. You can buy from them just what you need, so far so good have a couple hundered miles on it since the install when winter came in. They where great people to work with and are a supporting member of the forum. wro87

Get notified of new replies

To How do I go about running a true dual exhaust system?

Quick Reply: How do I go about running a true dual exhaust system?