C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 03:38 PM
KV Corvette
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 exhaust

What can I do to my c4 to make it sound better without replacing the whole exhaust?
Old 01-26-2022, 03:51 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Sound is subjective, go to a car show and ask to hear a few.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:18 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 434 Likes on 395 Posts

Also what year, with LT cars after Cats it's one piece. Before that you can play some games with mufflers
Old 01-26-2022, 05:49 PM
Frankieallen10
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went long tube headers, needed to lightly mod the pipe pre-cat to fit and put on Borla mufflers. Car sounds great.
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (02-21-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 08:06 PM
glenx122
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

Corsa mufflers sound great, also!!
The following 3 users liked this post by glenx122:
Hada91RS (02-24-2022), kenmohr (01-28-2022), pedricd (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 09:27 PM
pedricd
Drifting

Received 389 Likes on 302 Posts

Corsa as well!!!!
Hada91RS (02-24-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 07:05 AM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

Camshaft change.
SH-60B (02-18-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 08:20 AM
Incorvettei
Burning Brakes

Received 292 Likes on 212 Posts

I went long tube headers, no pre-cats, left the main cat and Corsa cat back. Nice and mellow (louder than stock obviously) until you jump on it. Then it screams!!
SouthernSon (01-29-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 09:52 AM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,102 Likes on 874 Posts

Welcome to the Corvette Forum KV Corvette! We are glad you have joined the forum as this is THE place when you have questions about your Corvette!

Like mentioned above the sound that you choose will have to fit your definition of a "good" sound. The one thing that happens often is people try to eliminate the catalytic converter and that can sometimes make a awful drone sound inside the cabin of your Corvette. Some of the exhaust systems are made out of Stainless and some are the plain Aluminized Steel used for decades. After upgrading the Catalytic converter I installed the Chambered exhaust system and the car picked up almost 14 hp from the upgrade.....

Some of the after market exhaust systems are ridiculously expensive and very well made. I have chosen the aluminized Steel and it is close to 30 years old and still free of corrosion. I will spend money on brakes and other parts that are important for the car to stop but I will not spend thousands of dollars on an exhaust system just for a specific sound.

At Corvettes@Carlisle I met Allen's Stainless Exhaust and they sold me a "Chambered Pipe Exhaust System" that sounds awesome and very similar to side-pipes but all the noise goes out the rear of the car. I bought one for my C3 and one for my C4 and today they are both still working on their Corvettes. The C4 (L98) sounds ferocious and utilizes the LT1 style rectangular tips. There are no mufflers in a Chambered System so you have a cleaner look to the rear end. The grumbling that comes from the L98 is far different than what the factory exhaust did. On the C4 I installed a new High Flow catalytic converter on my exhaust and then installed the chambered pipes. Both systems were installed by me with no hammering or bending, they fit together beautifully and easily.

Old 01-27-2022, 12:56 PM
turtle96
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

It is very subjective, but I have Allen's chambered muffler deletes on my 96 LT1 and I love the sound.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:20 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by vader86
Sound is subjective, go to a car show and ask to hear a few.
Originally Posted by turtle96
It is very subjective, but I have Allen's chambered muffler deletes on my 96 LT1 and I love the sound.
^These are the right answers^

We can no better tell you what sound is "good", than we can tell you what the best tasting food is....for you. Go hear a bunch, then ask the owners of the one(s) you like....."What have you done?"
turtle96 (01-28-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 04:17 PM
fredd1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Borlas

Originally Posted by Frankieallen10
I went long tube headers, needed to lightly mod the pipe pre-cat to fit and put on Borla mufflers. Car sounds great.
I like the Borlas on mine but I choose them because they're 304 stainless, not that much different sound than the originals though.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:44 PM
pedricd
Drifting

Yes subjective...

But my understanding if drone is a concern and this is for a LT1/4 car is to:

Keep the stock catback and do some combination of either long tubes or high flow/no cats. This can be the more cost effective route (and long tubes can help performance)

or do a corsa cat back (of course can do above mods too).

Yes it’s possible other solutions don’t drone (or are livable) but it’s more of a risk IMO as searching the forum will find numerous cases of exhausts other than above droning.
ACMX92 (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 12:09 AM
ACMX92
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
2021 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I went with ARH long tubes, catless x-pipe and stock LT1 mufflers on my 85 Corvette. The LT1 exhaust cost me less than $100 and sounds pretty good in my opinion. Almost zero drone and they slide right onto the ARH system. I am sure the Corsa exhaust sounds better, but I liked the sound of an extra $1000 in my pocket more.

Old 01-28-2022, 11:51 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I'm not sure that Corsa sounds better. I think they sound pretty lame, personally. I know a lot of people think they're "the best"....price has probably contributed to that belief...but I was dumb enough to take the forums overwhelming advice and bought a set......aaaaand never liked 'em. Waste of money. Too much money. I later sold 'em and bought something else that sounded better, cost less than 1/2 as much and were better built.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:49 PM
pedricd
Drifting

WARNING: More opinions coming

Originally Posted by ACMX92
I went with ARH long tubes, catless x-pipe and stock LT1 mufflers on my 85 Corvette. The LT1 exhaust cost me less than $100 and sounds pretty good in my opinion. Almost zero drone and they slide right onto the ARH system. I am sure the Corsa exhaust sounds better, but I liked the sound of an extra $1000 in my pocket more.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/5ubWhoi2IdE
That sounds great! - I think the LT1 catback (or in your case just the mufflers?) is a great upgrade for an L98 along with other mods. I forgot to mention putting in an x-pipe in place of the resonator but that gets into cutting/welding or taking to an exhaust shop. There is no flow issue (it would *increase* flow) and the sound should be great (with minimal to no drone, especially if the resonator remains stock). On a stock LT1, improvements with LTs, messing with the cats and/or x-pipe can "tune" in the sound (+ add perf) to where you want it on the stock exhaust...and outside of something like ARH long tubes is noticeably less $$$.

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I'm not sure that Corsa sounds better. I think they sound pretty lame, personally. I know a lot of people think they're "the best"....price has probably contributed to that belief...but I was dumb enough to take the forums overwhelming advice and bought a set......aaaaand never liked 'em. Waste of money. Too much money. I later sold 'em and bought something else that sounded better, cost less than 1/2 as much and were better built.
Was this a L98 or LT1? I only have experience with LT1 (which may not make a diff here at all). As far as me, the cost for the Corsa is not something to brag about...I don't run around feeling cool because I spent more than I wanted to on a cat-back...I would absolutely do it again because:
- No worry about drone at all (and this has been proven true in my case)...this was my number one reason
- High quality stainless, and good looks
- Ease of installation (did it in my garage without taking it anywhere or the need of a welder). Although I did run into *this* problem: Corsa Fitment Issue
- It's essentially straight pipe exhaust through to one of the tips on each side (with a chamber to the outside tips which I believe is what cancels out drone and adds some depth)
- I agree to disagree with you on the sound....it's not super loud, but I wasn't going for that either, and I think it sounds awesome (especially when I get on it where it *does* scream)
- I didn't want to take the time to mess with the cat-forward part of the exhaust (yet!), or have to take it to anyone for cutting/welding

Again - I am sure that subjectively better solutions that are less (or more) money can be done...and there a ton of ways to get there...

Here is another good thread on the subject (which covers more than just flow master): Flow Master vs Corsa
Hada91RS (02-24-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 12:53 PM
turtle96
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by pedricd
Yes subjective...

But my understanding if drone is a concern and this is for a LT1/4 car is to:

Keep the stock catback and do some combination of either long tubes or high flow/no cats. This can be the more cost effective route (and long tubes can help performance)

or do a corsa cat back (of course can do above mods too).

Yes it’s possible other solutions don’t drone (or are livable) but it’s more of a risk IMO as searching the forum will find numerous cases of exhausts other than above droning.
I agree that drone is a concern. With the deletes on my 96 LT1 convertible, the car does have a very narrow rpm band (about 100-150 rpm ish) where it drones. If you ran it right there it would be annoying, but it is never noticeable in town, That rpm equates to 83-85 mph in top gear; if I am running that fast, I can go up or down a couple mph and avoid it. I also only notice it with the top up. Top down it is never an issue. If you have a targa car YMMV.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 exhaust

Old 01-28-2022, 01:22 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

One of the most subjective subjects on this forum. You have two options for no drone: stock or corsa. Everything else depends. As has been said, what do you want to deal with and how do you want it to sound?

I'd post a clip of mine but it's so far from stock it wouldn't matter. Luckily it hardly drones. It's just loud.
Old 01-29-2022, 09:42 AM
krackenvette
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 110 Posts

Good Sound is subjective. The Ford Mustang 5.0 with flowmasters always sounded great back in the day. As I digress.
But, with 3 mufflers, technically, you need more air to make them louder, more pronounced.
Design of the muffler is critical in our C4s, due to drone noise if you have a poorly designed center resonator muffler too.
OEM exhaust with Long Tube 1 3/4 Headers with 396LT1 500 HP at flywheel. +- Cold Start
Old 01-29-2022, 10:26 AM
yakmastermax
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 277 Posts

Curious if anyone has a rough idea of the HP difference between the following two setups:

a) Long tubes, x or H pipe, no cats, high flow mufflers
b) Long tubes, X or H pipe, no cats, muffler elims

Last edited by yakmastermax; 02-18-2022 at 02:48 PM.

Quick Reply: C4 exhaust