C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

The Edelbrock 3860 High Flow TPI Manifold

Old 02-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Staehling
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Edelbrock 3860 High Flow TPI Manifold

Hi guys,

Got a very good deal pending on an Edelbrock 3860 manifold to go with my ported plenum and AS&M runners...just curious about any feedback from anyone who has one or has pertinent info regarding these pieces before I pull the trigger.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 367 Likes on 303 Posts

I'm happy with mine. I did not pay that much for it though. In My Corvette Pictures, to the left, you can see some pictures of when I was port matching the intake. I ported the plenum, and matched the runners up. I really wished I could have pulled the heads at that time to port and match there as well. I spent a lot of time on the base, cleaning up the casting ridges. While it's out you may want to switch the Torx bolts to Allen, to be able to use the ball headed Allen bit, just to make it easier to work on.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:35 PM
Staehling
Pro

Thanks Aardwolf, looking at getting a brand new one for $275 so that should be worth it even if I have to clean things up a bit.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:42 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Vic'89 picked up 15chp when he installed the AS&M runners with his Accel base. I think it's a good mod with little or no loss of low end.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Staehling
Pro

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Vic'89 picked up 15chp when he installed the AS&M runners with his Accel base. I think it's a good mod with little or no loss of low end.
Cool info, Vic89 has a sweet TPI setup.
Low end must be maintained!!
Old 02-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

I noticed a nice difference with mine but have no results as of yet. I took the car road racing and only one run at drag. I was going to make a few runs on a local dyno but it appears to have closed up.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Staehling
Pro

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I noticed a nice difference with mine but have no results as of yet. I took the car road racing and only one run at drag. I was going to make a few runs on a local dyno but it appears to have closed up.
Cool, love to see results if/when you get them.
I'm planning on doing a baseline dyno on my stock 87, and then going again on the same dyno after many small-medium mods...
Old 02-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

That is the best way to go about it. Please let us know how it goes. I called the dyno place finally, the number is no longer in service. I had been trying the website and thought maybe it was just down. Shucks.

Have you thought of pulling the heads while your there doing the intake? Putting in some thinner head gaskets would be nice, along with porting and port matching.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:48 PM
rel3rd
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by racsluos
Hi guys,

Got a very good deal pending on an Edelbrock 3860 manifold to go with my ported plenum and AS&M runners...just curious about any feedback from anyone who has one or has pertinent info regarding these pieces before I pull the trigger.

Unfortunately, I have yet to install mine, but I also got one brand new for what you are getting yours for. Can't beat that IMHO.

I did take some time to clean it up, removing all internal casting flash and slightly reconfiguring the ports. With your other supporting parts, you'll have a nice setup.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:09 PM
Staehling
Pro

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
That is the best way to go about it. Please let us know how it goes. I called the dyno place finally, the number is no longer in service. I had been trying the website and thought maybe it was just down. Shucks.

Have you thought of pulling the heads while your there doing the intake? Putting in some thinner head gaskets would be nice, along with porting and port matching.
Will definitely post when the time comes.
Don't know if I'm going to delve into taking the heads off, though I should replace the valve seals and may do new springs and 1.52 rockers while I'm in there. We'll see what the "$ituation" is when the time comes...

Now that I think about it, will probably want to compile a big "while I'm in there" list before digging in...
Old 10-14-2012, 01:07 PM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I need to port my heads to get the most out of the edelbrock 3860 ? The engine is being pulled in two weeks.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:14 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
I need to port my heads to get the most out of the edelbrock 3860 ? The engine is being pulled in two weeks.
A) We're not supposed to revive threads this old. You could have and should have started a new one...and if helpful...linked to this old thread.

B) You don't get the most out of an intake. You get the most out of an engine. Porting heads is necessary to "get the most" out of your engine. Depending on the quality of porting, new heads will get even more.

C) Long-tube setups don't "require" as much air as short-tube setups. I think you'd be happy with moderate-to-well-ported heads (vs. going all-out with new heads). If you don't port, I think you'll be less-than-impressed by the results...though mildly happy.

D) In before the lock (IBTL). Someone will report this thread and it will be locked...due to the reason posted above. Most threads -- unless being revived for an update -- will be locked if older than 45 days.

Good luck with your mods
Old 10-14-2012, 04:09 PM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Greg I stand corrected and will start a new thread next time. I am frustrated with this project for two reasons the first being money the second being different opinions at every turn. I have long tube headers and when the motor goes back in they will be on it. A shop in Mesa has quoted me $500 for Flowmaster cats and mufflers plut the y pipe. Pretty good deal since a shop in Scottsdale told me $1400. The issue at hand is my intake manifold. I am aware of the engine being what performs. Give me a break Greg ! I just found out that the heads will need ported to match the manifold and you are telling me moderate. My mechanic says port match. He is the guy pulling the motor and porting the SLP runners as well as the plenum. I bid on a Edelbrock 3860 on ebay. If I don't get it he will port the stock manifold as well. I saw a Youtube video and this guy said the stock manifold will do just fine if ported correctly. If I can buy the Edelbrock I will screw it. I put the bid on it already so I am committed until the process is over. I am putting a roller rocker kit in the motor. The shop told me it is good for 6-8HP. The other thing I bought was a under size pulley kit. Hopefully it is good for 5HP. The cam I am still up in the air about what size to go with ? Slightly bigger is all I want for 30-40HP max. ZZ9 ? This brings up the issue of needing a chip to match. Wongs Performance told me to with a slight boost meaning a little more cam and then only the idle will need some help. Mail him my stock chip he will modify based on the cam specs I give him and all for $200. He stressed not to change it too much from the stock numbers if I want to avoid a computer chip problems. In any case I will need to modify. More money !!!!! Name of the game I see. How deep the pockets are helps ! I appreciate your email Greg thanks !!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:27 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Wong gives good advice and a great tune.

Get the Edelbrock if you can
Ignore most the stufff you see on youtube, "that guy" has no results of their own to base their opinon on
zz9 is good zz4 also but some say they should have gone larger as it isnt much different than stock.

Get the Eddy piece if you can. It takes one hell of alot of work to get tthe stocker even close to the Eddy piece take my word for it. btdt
Check your pms

Last edited by cv67; 10-14-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:46 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Buy the larger intake if you can. Port your heads if you can. Anything you can do to help get air in/out of a motor will help.

BTW...You're in good hands with anything Cuisinartvette (Ron) suggests for you. Porting is probably the most important for those SLP runners. I've seen box-stock Accel/TPIS long tubes do as good/better job than ported SLPs. That is, unless they're WELL ported.

SLPs start out smaller and with more internal "pinch" points than these other types of runners. But, SLPs are more common and lower priced. FWIW, I saw a set of Accel runners in C4 parts if you wanted to consider that.

Larger bases are better than smaller ones...but again, I think runner porting will be more important.

Anything you can do to get the heads to breath better which help those cylinders SUCK more air through whatever intake you have too.

So, yes, modding a TPI is a costly adventure. It's one that can leave you pissed....Not just from the results, but from the money spent. OTOH, there are benefits. So, you will end up with gains.

How much gain is dependant on the effort and the scratch. So, I'm back to my first statement: More is better. Really, it's not much more complicated than that.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:51 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Gentleman I am listening and I will buy the Edelbrock 3860. I will port the SLP runners and when the Edelbrock intake gets here give it to the shop and have them match up the heads. I guess at this point I may as well eat the cost and do it now when its all out in the open. If I get it all put back together then it is too late to buy the Edelbrock intake. It would cost me $400 just to get it on the car with parts and labor not to mention the car being at my friends house for two weeks. I have not driven my C4 in 3 months. When I was over at his house this weekend it made me feel bad when I opened the door !!! I miss driving that car. Ron I will follow your advice and I am sure in the long run it is the best thing to do. Thanks again. I will drive this car until I save enough for a 2003 C5. I will post pics hopefully help someone in the same boat as me with a million questions. Wong suggested a 211-219 cam so I will take those specs to the shop and let them know this is what I want. Thanks again
Old 10-15-2012, 10:08 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

That could be the old Lingenfelter cam.
Another one is the Lunati 256 Voodoo. Very similar specs probably a little less lift have to look it up. It makes a ton of torque and a nice idle (not lopey)
Old 02-22-2017, 04:17 PM
Went
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

The Lingenfelter 74211 (211/219) cam is now part number L210015087. It's the same cam Tom Wong recommended to me.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/product/...l#.WK3_WFK81aQ

Went

Last edited by Went; 02-22-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:35 PM
gman35
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I had finally found a TPIS and a edelbrrock 3860 on ebay.. I ended up going with a nice powdercoated and ported intake for a much better price. It arrived today and is beautifull. The change over will begin soon... I may go ahead and shop for some better heads now.thanks, gary

Get notified of new replies

To The Edelbrock 3860 High Flow TPI Manifold

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Edelbrock 3860 High Flow TPI Manifold