C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1994 coupe Coil removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 02:49 PM
AZMike
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1994 coupe Coil removal

Trying to remove the coil from my vette. Can't seem to locate the mounting bolts. Any one have locations of mounting bolts or a pic showing their location? Any response is much appreciated.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:19 PM
mixalive
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

The coil shares a mounting plate/heat sink with the Ignition Control Module (or ICM). The ICM/Coil Assembly comes off together via 2 bolts that go into the front of the head. The left bolt is shared by the power steering reservoir. I believe they are 13mm. The right bolt is behind the wire bundle. If you remove the lower power steering reservoir bolt as well, it makes it easier to remove the assembly. The coil is riveted to the mounting plate. Grind off the rivots and replace with screws. When you reinstall, be sure to put new heatsink compound between the ICM and the mounting plate as well as between the mounting plate and the head .

Last edited by mixalive; 04-01-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:47 PM
AZMike
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mixalive
The coil shares a mounting plate/heat sink with the Ignition Control Module (or ICM). The ICM/Coil Assembly comes off together via 2 bolts that go into the front of the head. The left bolt is shared by the power steering reservoir. I believe they are 13mm. The right bolt is behind the wire bundle. If you remove the lower power steering reservoir bolt as well, it makes it easier to remove the coil. When you reinstall, be sure to put new heatsink compound between the ICM and the mounting plate as well as between the mounting plate and the head .
Thank you
Old 04-07-2014, 04:53 PM
AZMike
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AZMike
Thank you
Hello again. I've finally had time today and removed the driver side bolt no issues. When I removed the power steering side it was a nut. After removing the reservoir this allowed me to see what appears to be a two sided bolt that has to be removed but seems stubborn. Is the side going into the block left loose right tight threaded? Any in site on how to remove without breaking the bolt off?
Old 04-07-2014, 05:10 PM
jemidyette
Instructor

Originally Posted by AZMike
Hello again. I've finally had time today and removed the driver side bolt no issues. When I removed the power steering side it was a nut. After removing the reservoir this allowed me to see what appears to be a two sided bolt that has to be removed but seems stubborn. Is the side going into the block left loose right tight threaded? Any in site on how to remove without breaking the bolt off?
I doubt you're going to break the bolt. It's a pretty strong one. The threading is just a standard thread so righty tighty, lefty loosey. I believe it should be torqued to 35 ft/lb if memory serves.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:08 PM
mixalive
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Just get the engine good and hot and use a breaker bar with a pipe for leverage.

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 coupe Coil removal

Quick Reply: 1994 coupe Coil removal