C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I don't need a bigger throttle body...right?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:27 AM
big_how
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't need a bigger throttle body...right?

Hello all, the Super Ram that is being installed on my vette is almost done (then I get to find the vacuum leaks...wahoo!) but I was wondering if I should go to a larger throttle body. Everything is port matched, and the plenum is set up for a 58mm throttle body. I'm running stock cam, timing, etc. I'm told that the stock TB flows somewhere between 625 and 680 cfm, a good 52mm will flow 750 and a 58 about 1000cfm. I've also heard that the Super Ram can utilize up to 1100 cfm (This sounds high to me...) Would there be a benefit to slapping one on, its easy enough, but $300 in college...you get the idea.

For what its worth, its an 85 vette, but I don't know what year the engine is, I believe somewhere between late 86 and 88 (it has centerbolt aluminum heads)
Old 05-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Save your money until there is more HP.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:00 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Think of your body. If you had a Horses Lungs, a bigger mouth might help you get more air in. If you dont, opening the size of your mouth wont help if your lungs can only draw in so much.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:31 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spend that money toward a cam and RR's. The head casting number should be somewhere on the heads. It would be nice to know if you have 128's, 113's, etc.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:11 PM
N.C. Kid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pryderei
Think of your body. If you had a Horses Lungs, a bigger mouth might help you get more air in. If you dont, opening the size of your mouth wont help if your lungs can only draw in so much.
Good analoge. 48mm is the more than a 350 can use in measurable horsepower regardless...52 is waste and 58 is even more of a waste.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:02 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by N.C. Kid
Good analoge. 48mm is the more than a 350 can use in measurable horsepower regardless...52 is waste and 58 is even more of a waste.
Don't you just love it? Instant expert. Yesterday this guy is asking:
How much would this help my stock TPI

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its the stock TPI with exaust mods and thats it...

Mods that I am hoping to do once I get all the glitches out:

BPP Vortex Rammer Cold Air System

52 mm throttle body

Port the runners

Power coupler

24 lb Fuel Injectors

High performance fuel pump

160 thermostat

MSD Ignition

A.I.R Pump Eliminator Kit

Descreened Maf Sensor

AC Delco Rapid Fire Sparkplugs

Granelliti Spark plug wires**They claim 10 horsepower**?

Synthetic Oil

This will start happening in a few months because I have electircal issues.

Once I have all this done I was thinking of a custom chip to go along with it. If I have that done what exactly will be my power gains...
Yesterday he asked about a 52 mm TB, himself. Today he's the expert. Beware of your sources in information. There is plenty more were THIS came from.

RACE ON!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 03:12 PM
N.C. Kid
Burning Brakes

No, I am not claiming to be an expert. I am far from it like yourself. I was posting the information I recieved yesterday and from a members site and passing it along. Whether its correct or not, he can take that into consideration but yea...I believe its correct.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:19 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The throttlebody will flow whatever the engine sucks through it. If your engine pulls 550 cfm at WOT, then your "1000 cfm" throttlebody will flow 550 cfm.

Whether its correct or not, he can take that into consideration
How can he if you're posting it as if you know it to be true? Maybe the guy that told you was just passing it on and didn't know either. Next time try, "I've heard... This guy said... etc." Or better yet, don't post it.

And what makes you believe CFI is an expert? Man you're gullible.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:23 PM
snowmaker2000
Racer

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
Don't you just love it? Instant expert. Yesterday this guy is asking:Yesterday he asked about a 52 mm TB, himself. Today he's the expert. Beware of your sources in information. There is plenty more were THIS came from.

RACE ON!!!
Man....I better check all my past posts.... People just trying to help out. He happens to be correct. . . . now don't go looking at my past posts ...I aint never asked that question. i usually tell people my experience with my mods.

BTW, I HEARD....that your type of engine is geared more towards torque. Perhaps others (more knowledgeable than thou...can chime in.)
Old 05-02-2007, 03:34 PM
N.C. Kid
Burning Brakes

Gee you and CFI are losers who talk smack over the net. Congrats. Get a life. It would be nice if a moderator stepped up and said for you guys to leave me alone. Atleast they are knowledgable and fair...

Last edited by N.C. Kid; 05-02-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:39 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gee you and CFI are losers who talk smack over the net. Congrats. Get a life. It would be nice if a moderator stepped up and said for you guys to leave me alone. Atleast they are knowledgable and fair...
Old 05-02-2007, 03:41 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Wow, the way I read it snowmaker was sticking up for you. You then thank him by calling him a loser. Way to go, kid
Old 05-02-2007, 03:42 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Perhaps we should just ban all the people that value truth and accuracy. I hate when they interfere with other people's regirgitation contests.

I propose to also change the name from "C4Tech/Performance" to "C4 Opinion/Armchair Racer"
Old 05-02-2007, 04:06 PM
big_how
Instructor

Originally Posted by snowmaker2000
BTW, I HEARD....that your type of engine is geared more towards torque. Perhaps others (more knowledgeable than thou...can chime in.)
The TPI was made under the guise that torque moved the car and horsepower was a made up number. At this point I'm lookin for as much of both as I can get.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:39 PM
N.C. Kid
Burning Brakes

Sorry snow. I wasnt bashing on you....I meant to qoute Central coaster who along with old man geezer try to own this place.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:19 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

I do own this place. 5 years ago I bought it for $32. If you have a problem, it goes through me. I started out very friendly in my first response, but that wasn't good enough for you. You just had to stick your nose where it doesn't belong. Just ask the guy in my avatar how well that worked out for him.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:52 PM
N.C. Kid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
I do own this place. 5 years ago I bought it for $32. If you have a problem, it goes through me. I started out very friendly in my first response, but that wasn't good enough for you. You just had to stick your nose where it doesn't belong. Just ask the guy in my avatar how well that worked out for him.

Glad to meet you Central. Happy you took over the responsibility of owning corvette forum. I appreciate letting me join your sight for free.

Get notified of new replies

To I don't need a bigger throttle body...right?

Old 05-02-2007, 06:28 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

IMO you have enough with the 48 when considering the stock cam. I can tell you with mine, I did back to back runs with a 48 vs 52 and seen no difference.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:35 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
IMO you have enough with the 48 when considering the stock cam. I can tell you with mine, I did back to back runs with a 48 vs 52 and seen no difference.
Were you running the 48mm with the mods and best time mentioned in your sig? TIA...
Old 05-02-2007, 06:43 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Look at it like this if the other posts are hard to make out.

If you had mansecks with someone and had to take a dump, the fact that your colon was now the size of an IHOP dollar (choc-chip no less) pancake...It would still come out the same. Youll need internal mods to flow more. At least thats whay Ive heard

Quick Reply: I don't need a bigger throttle body...right?