C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Installing Weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Johngunguy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Weatherstripping

I ordered a complete weatherstripping kit for my '92 w/ Targa from a seller here on the board, and it arrived yesterday, but there were no instructions.

I know I need to go get some weatherstripping adhesive, and the removal/installation looks pretty self-explanatory.

I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything, or overlooking something specific I'm supposed to do.

Anybody who's done this with success before, chime in.

Thanks,
-John
Old 05-24-2007, 10:29 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

I just did the A and B pillar's last weekend. Be sure to keep the old plastic push-in retainers as mine did not come with new ones. Also suggest getting some 3M Release Agent for removing the old adhesive. Also suggest getting some of the heavy duty chisel Xacto blades, #80 for scraping out the old adhesive.

Installation is pretty easy. Best to have a helped as the 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive is a contact type and you only get one shot at it. And since the weatherstrip has to be pushed into the channels..nice to have another set of hands holding the weatherstrip above the channel so not to make contact before you are ready.

On the the A and B pillars, best to put the ends down first and then work across the top.

Took me about 3 hours to do the two strips. Oh and wipe the glue area of the strip with alcohol before applying the adhesive.

Have fun
Old 05-24-2007, 10:52 AM
KeyWestJack
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure everything is clean, as mentioned before 3M adhesive (not in spray can) cleaner works great. On doors make sure to fit first before pushing the plastic retainers in place.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:00 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

couple of things.
1. Make sure the surface is totally clean of old adhesive and junk.
2. Best to make sure the weatherstrip is at room temp.
3. Use hair dryer on low to warm the stuff as your putting it on, to ensure good fit.
4. Install without adhesive, button things up for a couple of hours to form the fit solid.
5. Install with black weatherstrip adhesive
6. Button up and let set for 6-8 hrs to set and form
I've done all mine this way and no leaks or issues, takes additional time, but well worth it in the end result

Get notified of new replies

To Installing Weatherstripping

Quick Reply: Installing Weatherstripping