C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Should I use aftermarket fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Daves91softtop
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I use aftermarket fuel injectors

I have been experiencing a miss recently, so I took the vette to my mechanic friend. He was nice enough to diagnois the problem. He told me that the fuel injectors need to be replaced. He tested them with a meter and found 7 out of eight were out of factory specs. One of the 7 was shorted out. The question I have is should I use oem injectors at around 200.00 a piece, or can I use a set of aftermarket injectors? I was able to find a set from ACCEL at a cost of 345.00. I also would like any advice about injectors that are rated for performance. (More gals per hour) Can I consider an injector that sprays more fuel in an attempt to get more horse power, or is this just a waste of money.

Thanks Dave M
Old 08-25-2007, 08:32 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have a 1991 model, I have a new, never installed, set of high quality replacement injectors for your car. Accel injectors don't have a good rep. on here, although I haven't used them. OEM Multecs which is what came on 1991 cars also have a high failure rate. (Of course you found that out). See my ad in C4 Parts/Wanted Section.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:40 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check Sumit Racing's web site they're the same thing only less expensive.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Daves91softtop
Cruising

Badduck, Do you know if these injectors are rated the same as the origainal injectors (same gals/hr lbs)?

Have you had any experience with these injectors? I was also wondering if there is any warrenty on these injectors?
Old 08-25-2007, 09:25 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

They are rated at 22 lbs per hour at 43.5 PSI. That is basically stock for your car. You can't just put in bigger injectors to make more power, it will run too rich. PM me if you have more questions.
Go to www.summitracing.com and look up part # SMP-FJ47 for more info.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Sam Lam
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BADDUCK
They are rated at 22 lbs per hour at 43.5 PSI. That is basically stock for your car. You can't just put in bigger injectors to make more power, it will run too rich.
with the above
Old 08-25-2007, 10:52 PM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Go with Ford/pink tops for stock replacements with no issues, if you do use a larger injector, you'll need a AFPR to set the pressure so that you don' run too rich. Increasing injectors will NOT increase power, but will take away power.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:35 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Buy the New Design Accel Fuel injectors from Summit. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...=1#Application

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...9+&appfilter=1

The old Accel injectors had a high failure rate but, the New Silver colored Accel injectors are a new design and is recommended by member tjwong who has installed these in several of his customers vehicles with no problems. Tjwong installs the 24lb. hr. injectors for stock replacement but, your "91" Vette uses 22lb. hr. injectors so, you can also, use Accel's 21lb. hr injectors which is closer to the stock pressure.

At $269 I'm buying the New Accels if my injectors fail.

Last edited by GKK; 08-26-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:08 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Lam
with the above
Old 08-26-2007, 12:36 PM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

I would recommend another place to get your injectors as well. I will PM you with the details since they are not a Forum sponsor. I just replaced mine after having the originals go belly up from water in the gas tank. I know they have a large selection to choose from.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Daves91softtop
Cruising

Thanks everyone for the help and information. I have a set of ACCEL injectors from Summit racing on the way. I will post again when they are installed.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:41 AM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by vinnies87
Go with Ford/pink tops for stock replacements with no issues, if you do use a larger injector, you'll need a AFPR to set the pressure so that you don' run too rich. Increasing injectors will NOT increase power, but will take away power.
That's exactly what I will be buying soon.

Just trying to pay off a few other things first
Old 08-29-2007, 09:19 PM
yellow 00
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GKK
Buy the New Design Accel Fuel injectors from Summit. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...=1#Application

The old Accel injectors had a high failure rate but, the New Silver colored Accel injectors are a new design and is recommended by member tjwong who has installed these in several of his customers vehicles with no problems. Tjwong installs the 24lb. hr. injectors for stock replacement but, your "91" Vette uses 22lb. hr. injectors so, you can also, use Accel's 21lb. hr injectors which is closer to the stock pressure.

I just installed the accel 21 lb new style from summit. I am very pleased with them. and $269.95 cant be beat
Old 08-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Kool88vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't buy from fivomotorsports.com. They sell crappy rebuilds and claim that they are new.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Sam Lam
Melting Slicks

Dave: I do not know "how tight" your money is right now. However, if you have about $75 too spare, consider purchasing a Holley adjustable fuel pressure regulator. You will have all the parts off the top of the engine and can easily installe this new part. Having ithis on the car will allow you to "tune in" the fuel pressure in the future.

Last edited by Sam Lam; 09-01-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Cyclonite
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What timing!

It looks like I will need new injectors too and was about to ask the same kind of questions. I wasn't sure about aftermarkets of any type, and have found new and rebuilds on ebay, as well as in parts stores. Local Pep Boys has new Borg Warners that I can get at $56 ea (discount price, normal $80+). Their website also has Accels for about the same price. B-W's made in USA while Accels are inports (according to the guy at PB's anyway...) I might just go with those B-Ws. No shipping cost and no tax in DE so the price is the price...

I welcome any experiences with these if there's any problems with B-Ws.

Tim
Old 08-30-2007, 07:43 PM
Terrible Juan
Racer

Originally Posted by GKK

Agreed.

I purchased the new Accel injectors and they have been great to me!

Get notified of new replies

To Should I use aftermarket fuel injectors

Old 08-31-2007, 09:56 AM
canoeman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by yellow 00
I just installed the accel 21 lb new style from summit. I am very pleased with them. and $269.95 cant be beat
Me too, car runs just fine.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:45 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnies87
if you do use a larger injector, you'll need a AFPR to set the pressure so that you don' run too rich. Increasing injectors will NOT increase power, but will take away power.
It's my understanding that whatever fuel flow rating the injector is, the engine control unit will adjust flow until the correct air/fuel ratio is obtained...and do this virtually instantaneously. That is the main advantage of electronic fuel injection.
So, the car should run fine even with 24lb injectors.

Is that correct or incorrect?

Larry
code5coupe

Old 08-31-2007, 11:56 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

The ECM can adjust A/F within certain perameters, but larger injectors will make it run rich. The AFPR with larger injectors is not always a great solution either, because when you turn the pressure down it can adversely affect the spray pattern.

Quick Reply: Should I use aftermarket fuel injectors