C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Service ASR light on and no Tachometer, 1993 LT1 w/ DELTEQ

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 07:40 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Service ASR light on and no Tachometer, 1993 LT1 w/ DELTEQ

After getting my transmission on the road again, thanks PETE K, my tachometer was intermittently on and off and my service ASR came on.
I shut her off, ran codes and recieved none. Reset the ECM, light came back on, and no tach. Then driving down the road the tach came back on, but service ASR still on. Turned off car, restarted had both tach and no service asr, till I drove up in my driveway.
So, I verified tach filter bypass of many years ago was cleaned and reconnected. Changed out TPS with known good one. Brake fluid is full, battery is charging is 13.6 volts. Engine runs fine.
Any other things to check?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:55 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

this is exactly a problem with the tach filter.

I don't know how the Delteq works, but the LTCC has it's own tach feed, and that hits the one of many white wires that comes out of the coil harness.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:19 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

I remember trying to get a shift light to work off of the DELTEQ. Could never get it to work. But my tach filter is bypassed. So, I am thinking it was a loose connection within the bypass job I did years ago. SO I reconnected it as I cut further down the wire to clean wire, removed the filter altogether. And hopefully with the new, well proven TPS sensor which my car has problems with every blue moon showing ASR/SERVICE ASR till restart, things will clear up.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:27 PM
bogus
Team Owner

I hope... I don't know the wiring for the DelTeq, so I am at a bit of a loss.

if you have it in PDF format, can you forward it along?
Old 06-07-2007, 10:37 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by bogus
I hope... I don't know the wiring for the DelTeq, so I am at a bit of a loss.

if you have it in PDF format, can you forward it along?
Its at the top of this page.
http://www.delteq.com/support_manuals.htm
Old 06-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Kinkajou
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same problem when I disconected the tach filter.
It would either not work at all or work erraticaly
Old 06-07-2007, 11:33 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by Kinkajou
I had the same problem when I disconected the tach filter.
It would either not work at all or work erraticaly
Do you have DELTEQ?
Old 06-08-2007, 01:24 AM
bogus
Team Owner

wow. that is one nice looking kit.

I would say removing the tach filter is your best bet.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:28 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by bogus
wow. that is one nice looking kit.

I would say removing the tach filter is your best bet.
It is removed now, and I will test it tommorow. DOnt want to disturb the neighbors here.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:52 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the Delteq, the tach signal is generated in the Northstar coil-pak and goes out through the Delteq wiring and connectors to the location of the tach-filter.
Since you have already checked and cleaned the connections at the tach filter, I suggest unplugging the Delteq connectors, clean, and replace them to see if it is a poor connection there.

By far, the best way to trouble-shoot this problem is looking at the signals with an oscilloscope to see where they are good or missing -- otherwise, you are just guessing.
If you know someone with an electronics background and has an oscilloscope, I would ask them.

The stock ignition system uses the tach filter to filter the ignition coil "dirty" signal into a reasonable "clean" square wave for the tachometer and ASR.
The Delteq (and most other multi-coil igntion systems, like the LTCC) uses the signal from the coil pak electronics.
And, this signal is already a clean square wave and does not need to be filtered -- thus, the tach filter is not necessary and shouldn't be used.
By bypassing the tach-filter, you are feeding the clean square wave directly to the ECM for a tach signal.

Tom Piper

Last edited by Tom Piper; 06-08-2007 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:57 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by Tom Piper
With the Delteq, the tach signal is generated in the Northstar coil-pak and goes out through the Delteq wiring and connectors to the location of the tach-filter.
Since you have already checked and cleaned the connections at the tach filter, I suggest unplugging the Delteq connectors, clean, and replace them to see if it is a poor connection there.

By far, the best way to trouble-shoot this problem is looking at the signals with an oscilloscope to see where they are good or missing -- otherwise, you are just guessing.
If you know someone with an electronics background and has an oscilloscope, I would ask them.

The stock ignition system uses the tach filter to filter the ignition coil "dirty" signal into a reasonable "clean" square wave for the tachometer and ASR.
The Delteq (and most other multi-coil igntion systems, like the LTCC) uses the signal from the coil pak electronics.
And, this signal is already a clean square wave and does not need to be filtered -- thus, the tach filter is not necessary and shouldn't be used.
By bypassing the tach-filter, you are feeding the clean square wave directly to the ECM for a tach signal.

Tom Piper
Hey Tom, I cleaned all the DELTEQ connectors too and put dielctric grease on all connectors.
I have dealt with O-scopes for about 19 years, and I can understand using one to find this issue. But right now I am doing what the basic person needs to do, ask, clean and inspect and reconnect. If this fails, I will get her done at work with an O-Scope and see what signal is being dropped intermittenly. Thanks
Old 06-08-2007, 11:17 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Well I drove it for about 50 miles, which is almost one end of the island to the other, and no service ASR, and the tachometer worked. So, by cleaning the connectors, replaceing the TPS switch and cleaning its connectors and removing tach filter altogether, one of these fixed it. I think the tach filter and its wires being old were the culprit.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:44 AM
bogus
Team Owner

50 miles? On Oah'u? Wow. That's not just across the island, that's two laps around it!

I am glad you have sorted it out! I hope it stays that way!

Get notified of new replies

To Service ASR light on and no Tachometer, 1993 LT1 w/ DELTEQ

Quick Reply: Service ASR light on and no Tachometer, 1993 LT1 w/ DELTEQ