C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HVAC fan quit working - '94 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Gixster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HVAC fan quit working - '94 coupe

It doesn't blow air on any speed setting. It's not the electronic unit.

I seem to remember it working once or twice after it quit, but I can't say for sure. It won't work at all now. The speed does vary a little, but it's more dependent on vehicle speed, not button setting.

Does the relay control the fan blower entirely? I wonder if it could be that or just a fuse? I was gone for a week on vacation, and just remembered today that it wasn't working, so I haven't had a chance to do any troubleshooting or look at the FSM yet.

Anybody got any suggestions before I get to digging?
Old 06-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is just a guess, but the most common reason that the A/C blower motor quits working is because the brushes in the motor wear out.

Tom Piper
Old 06-08-2007, 07:35 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Check for voltage at motor.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:40 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

If I remember the '94 correctly, there are 2 relays - One is used for low and the other is more or less a direct connection for max. Most of these manual circuits flow through a Resistor Pod (mounted on the Evaporator Case) and then onto the Blower Relays. Start by jumpering the blower to the battery. If it works, I'd guess the resistor pod is shot. General troubleshooting for the Resistors begins by checking for battery voltage on the input side and then for something less (on all speeds but max) on the output or at the Relays. It would be unusual for both Relays to be shot and whatever fuse is protecting it usually only opens if there's a dead short in the motor.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:07 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Unplug the fan motor and jump 12v to the motor wires. This will tell you if the brushes are still making connection to the armature. Brushes don't last forever!
Old 06-09-2007, 07:02 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my experiences with bad brushes, the symptoms can be intermittent.

That's because the armature can sometimes make contact with the bad brushes when you hit a bump or hit the motor with a fist.
In one case, I was 100 miles from home, started the car, and the A/C blower wouldn't work.
I figured the brushes were bad on the motor and got under the hood and hit the motor with my fist -- it started running immediately.

However, I also knew it would happen again -- so, I replaced the motor.

Tom Piper

Get notified of new replies

To HVAC fan quit working - '94 coupe

Quick Reply: HVAC fan quit working - '94 coupe