C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hooker Aero Chamber Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 03:40 PM
brianwetzel
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker Aero Chamber Mufflers

Years back I put the Hooker Aero Chamber Mufflers on my 1988 and liked the sound as well as the look. This time I put the Magnaflow mufflers on my 1995 and have to say I am not that pleased. The sound is more "annoying" in that it has more resonance and the main reason I bought them was I liked the fact that they are all stainless steel. After I installed them I discovered I do not like the look as they remind me of the import car muffler add ons. The Hooker is a black muffler with stainless tips and that looked much better in my opinion. I do not see anyone else on this site who has the Aero Chamber on a C4 and wonder why? I actually think I am going to purchase them to replace the Magnaflows but maybe the sound difference is the L98 to LT1? I have also discovered that any of the "performance" mufflers for our cars that have 2 outlets have resonance and if you want to get rid of it plug one. You will be amazed at the difference. (Makes you wonder why more are not made with only one outlet). Any thoughts?
Brian.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:10 PM
scranage
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you plug one outlet on a Magnaflow, you effectively end up with a dual 2" exhaust system. That is the diameter of the inner pipes in those mufflers. They Y two of those off a single 3" pipe internally.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Funny you should mention those, I am going to put a pair on my car. Summit has them:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...508HKR&FROM=MG

They do not have tips now though, I'm not sure what I want to do about that yet.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:37 PM
brianwetzel
Heel & Toe

The ones I had before are actually a kit made for 1984-1995 vettes and include 2 mufflers made for the car and 2 different lengths of angled pipes to attach to the stock system. Here is the link:
http://www.holley.com/21725HKR.asp
I loved them on my 1988 for both sound and looks.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:49 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I dont understand buying a dual tip muffler and pluggin half it off. Why bother?
Old 08-16-2007, 11:09 PM
brianwetzel
Heel & Toe

What happens is you buy the muffler for a more aggressive sound but the resonance ends up giving you a headache. Plugging one side of each muffler lets you drive the car with the aggressive sound but removes the resonance. What I don't understand is if it is so common for the 2 outlets to be the source of resonance why not just design the muffler with a single large outlet? Maybe the answer is the demand for the look of a dual outlet muffler?
Old 08-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by brianwetzel
The ones I had before are actually a kit made for 1984-1995 vettes and include 2 mufflers made for the car and 2 different lengths of angled pipes to attach to the stock system. Here is the link:
http://www.holley.com/21725HKR.asp
I loved them on my 1988 for both sound and looks.
Those are showing $260 EACH at Summit!!!

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

The ones I linked above are only $66 each. I will not pay $$$$$ in Corvette tax on mufflers.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:22 AM
brianwetzel
Heel & Toe

You only need 1 of the 21725HKR as it includes the right and left (different) mufflers. The Summit description does not make that clear but I know it to be true.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by brianwetzel
You only need 1 of the 21725HKR as it includes the right and left (different) mufflers. The Summit description does not make that clear but I know it to be true.
It also doesn't mention a Y-pipe, did it come with a mandrel bent one?
Old 08-17-2007, 11:50 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I dont know of the difference is just having the mounting brackets on or the size in general but I too cheaped out with another brand muffler and they didnt fit quite right. Got the proper ones, and voila! Corvette tax is a bummer though.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:26 PM
brianwetzel
Heel & Toe

The kit is similar to the later C4 Magnaflow and you have to cut off the mufflers a few inches from the body. It has a place on the end of each muffler for the factory hanger and includes 2 different length angled pipes to connect to where you made the cut in the exhaust. They say you need to weld the mufflers as the inlet is a very heavy steel but you can do a cut down from the end for a few inches and a clamp will work ok. I actually do not remember now if the 88 was the same as my 95 muffler (factory welded) but it can be done easily if the muffler is only on now with clamps.

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker Aero Chamber Mufflers

Quick Reply: Hooker Aero Chamber Mufflers