C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Where to check for grounded ign module circuit

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 05:16 PM
topspin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to check for grounded ign module circuit

I have 96 LT-1, I unplugged ign module connector and checked blk/wht wire with key off and it showed grounded. I then turned ign switch on and checked same wire and it still shows grouded. I still don't have fire from my ign coil. Where does the blk/wht wire connect besides the end at the ign module ? I feelit has to get switched by something or the ign circuit cannot fire and this may be my problem. Does the wire go to ign switch and the swich is grounding it out in the on position and it should only ground it in the off position ? Is there a relay that energises and cuts the ground thus allowing ignition to fire ? I found something that showed the wire going to G 106 but I think that is straight to ground which to me would keep it grounded out.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Here's a pic. for a 95. Does your 96 schematic look the same with same color wires?

Pin C of the Ignition Coil Module is a Black/White wire.
It is grounded all of the time. That's normal.

Two signals are sent from the optispark optical sensor to the PCM.
The PCM then sends a signal to the Ignition Coil Module Pin B which is a White wire.

Disconnect the Ignition Coil Module plug. Set you meter to read AC volts. Place the Red probe into the Ignition Coil Module plug Pin B the white wire. Place the Black probe into Pin C of the connector Black/White wire which is ground.

Have some one crank the engine. The meter should vary from .5 to 4.5 volts AC. If it does, the optical part of the optispark is working and so is the PCM.

Last edited by Hooked on Vettes; 06-09-2007 at 06:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Where to check for grounded ign module circuit